Why did people think this was going to be a bad game?

• 133 results
#51 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon said:

Probably because DmC is leaning heavy into that teenage angle of raging against the machine. Being full of piss and vinegar for nobody's sake but instead just because. Probably because the new DmC is indulgent, hedonistic, and the new look for Dante fits the overall punk rock rebellion vibe of the aesthetic.

These are all valid reasons to dislike the game, but for me personally I don't mind indulging in some immaturity every now and again.

You would think GiantBomb.com, the naked cartoon pussy website where the staff says cunt, would have a community that would be way into indulging in immaturity every now and again. 
#52 Posted by believer258 (11997 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Moncole: Because people are afraid of change. Amplified by the internet-aura, it got out of control.

@project343 said:

@believer258 said:

Because people were afraid that this would become Enslaved.

I loved Enslaved. :(

Not just you.

No, I meant more along the lines of the combat system. I am by no means an expert on either series, but Devil May Cry fans seemed to like that particular brand of combat and that's what they went to DMC for - and many are afraid that this game will not be like that at all, that it will be more like Enslaved.

Do I think that it's a valid fear? Well... yeah. A developer takes over a franchise that isn't at all like that previous dev's work, and they proceed to change it into something completely different and not so great? Yeah, that doesn't sound familiar at all to me.

#53 Posted by DeF (4925 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@DeF said:

@Moncole: Because people are afraid of change. Amplified by the internet-aura, it got out of control.

@project343 said:

@believer258 said:

Not just you.

No, I meant more along the lines of the combat system. I am by no means an expert on either series, but Devil May Cry fans seemed to like that particular brand of combat and that's what they went to DMC for - and many are afraid that this game will not be like that at all, that it will be more like Enslaved.

Do I think that it's a valid fear? Well... yeah. A developer takes over a franchise that isn't at all like that previous dev's work, and they proceed to change it into something completely different and not so great? Yeah, that doesn't sound familiar at all to me.

Well, NT were quite familiar with that type of game though. After all, Heavenly Sword is part of the same bigger modern-3D-beat-em-up/brawler gameplay-family. But as usual, the reaction operated under the guilty until proven innocent mantra instead of the other way around.

#54 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@J12088 said:

Looking at the gameplay footage there seems to be a real lack of fighting in the levels I've seen and a fair bit more platforming. Couldn't careless what dante looks like and people claiming it's better cause he looks more down to earth are in for a real shock when they see hes still got his cheesey/asshole lines. The lack of action in this action game is the worry.

But I've only seen a few levels I'll wait till i see more. So far it doesnt look very good.

From what I gather the normal mode seems pretty much for anyone that really wants to enjoy the story. Assuming the combat sections are going to be a bit lengthier when it comes to the harder difficulties.

#55 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

It's change simple as. It doesn't look like it did, doesn't;t look like it plays like it did and isn't made by the same dudes. It's changed a lot from old DMC games and people don't like change. Personally I'm looking forward to it, I think it looks pretty good.

#56 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@DeF: A lot of people found Heavenly sword's combat lacking and when compared to DMC it is the red headed stepchild of the 3D-beat-em-up/brawler gameplay-family.

#57 Posted by kindgineer (2771 posts) -

I don't play DmC, but I think the new design is weak.

#58 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I assume all video games I haven't played are terrible as a rule.

#59 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

So this isn't a question that can be answered, it can only really be given a opinion and then you reach a point you understand the masses. Everyone has a very different view on what makes a game a game. So this is my answer and im sorry it is a very odd one too.

It simply doesn't look, sound or feel like a game i spent my time knowing, loving and enjoying.

When you change a game to the point that it stops feeling like the game your trying to emulate (and that is what a reboot is, a emulation/copy of the original with a "new twist") then you are not doing the thing your emulating justice. For all the remaking they did, attitude adjustment and even pandering to us with the "Devil Trigger" stuff, i find it impossible to like the new Dante for how they simply mock all the things that have come to be fan loves. Things that honestly make us enjoy and smile at Dante's adventures and battles. I not great at spoiler tags so i can't really hide this well. Needless to say, you can look at youtube for the part im talking about. There is a point VERY early in the game that is meant to be a "nod and a wink" to Dante in the original games. I HATE how they did it, not just because its such a stupid moment but that it simply is a "Yea, like that was cool" about a game that has a damn fan base that has had Dante be in more then just these games! You can not and should never mock something from a game you are emulating, because all your doing is showing disrespect.

*shrugs* I just loath the attitude towards a game that has never taken itself seriously, has always been very up beat and random and yet they simply find that they can make fun of this without showing respect to what came before. It's just laughable to me. :(

#60 Posted by casper_ (907 posts) -

i was psyched to see they were trying something different but after the demo i was a pretty bummed about the pseudo topical/heavy truther attitude of the story and dantes fratboy bullshit

played good though

#61 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

As someone who really loved DMC1 and 3 and thought DMC3 was the perfection video game beat em up combat until Bayonetta came along, nothing about the new DmC has intrigued me. It's honestly just another example of Capcom screwing up a beloved franchises by trying to appeal to a totally different group of people than the ones who made their games popular in the first place. I played the demo and was pleasantly surprised that the combat wasn't total garbage, but having decent combat isn't enough for a Devil May Cry game, you gotta have exceptional combat mechanics and Ninja Theory just isn't up to the task given their work in Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. I feel like there's a good balance between bringing in something new and keeping the stuff that made the old so fantastic and unfortunately the new DmC brings in too much new. Also, I don't get how people can criticize the writing/story of the old DMC games and say how great the new one's is when there's an exchange between a boss and Dante where they say "Fuck you" to each like 5 times.

#62 Posted by DeF (4925 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@DeF: A lot of people found Heavenly sword's combat lacking and when compared to DMC it is the red headed stepchild of the 3D-beat-em-up/brawler gameplay-family.

True, but that was also six years ago. I just don't like it when people are negative and prejudiced from the get-go.

#63 Posted by StarvingGamer (8379 posts) -

@DeF said:

@believer258 said:

@DeF said:

@project343 said:

@believer258 said:

Not just you.

Well, NT were quite familiar with that type of game though. After all, Heavenly Sword is part of the same bigger modern-3D-beat-em-up/brawler gameplay-family. But as usual, the reaction operated under the guilty until proven innocent mantra instead of the other way around.

Not on the same level as Capcom though. First off, I love Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. But I am a person who is obsessed with mechanics to the point where I'm looking up animation frames and doing actual math to figure out what is possible when against which enemies. The combat Capcom does in DMC is expertly crafted, from the myriad options they give the player and the incredibly complex ways those actions can interact with the enemies. In terms of depth and complexity, if DMC3 is a 10, Heavenly sword is a 4 and Enslaved is a 2.

Think about Gran Turismo and how fucking crazy technical that game is. Now imagine that Gran Turismo 6 is announced, but instead of Polyphony Digital developing the game, it's Sumo Digital (the developers of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing). Cue shitstorm.

It sounds like Capcom's influence was strong enough to bring the game up to about a 7 so I imagine most DMC fans will be satisfied. I'm just excited for another Ninja Theory game. But any worries people had about the game on a mechanical level were well founded.

#64 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@DeF: and in six years we have no evidence they improved on making combat. Now give them a series where combat is the main draw and has had some of the most well made combat in games and you wonder why people are being negative

in fact capcom needed to send people over to help them with the combat as they didn't know what to do. What we get is a product with not bad combat but no where near the heights of the past games

#65 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

It was partially valid criticism and partially crazy people. Worry about NT being able to pull off the combat that DmC is known for for is valid, Enslaved was a great game but the combat wasn't why. The people upset about the character change are the crazy people.

#66 Posted by Xel (166 posts) -

The game seems pretty good and it's getting a lot of praise, but I feel like some of that praise is just hyperbole and aimed squarely in the faces of DMC fans. IGN, Gametrailers, Gamespot and others all keep hammering the non-issue of Dantes new hair/appearance when it's the watered down gameplay that DMC fans are against. I personally think the game looks decent, but it's a long way from besting DMC3/4. The combat engine in those two games has constantly surprised me by achieving a perfect balance between challenge and fun. DmC on the other hand has severely toned down the challenge. Perhaps that's a sacrifice in the name of accessibility, but introducing so much platforming and lengthier cutscenes makes me wonder why this was chosen to be a Devil May Cry game in the first place.

#67 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

probably because it's a stripped down version of the game people liked originally

#68 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

People are assholes and cannot accept anything but their own needs.

What they don't realize is we adapt and respond to changes which in turn make us grow as person and broaden our taste. But they're too busy being dicks to notice that usually.

#69 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

The people upset about the character change are the crazy people.

This is like when people said "You don't like ME3's ending because it isn't happy". No one is saying that he is bad because he changed his hair colour and is wearing a different coat there are deeper reasons why he is a terrible character but more importantly the gameplay isn't up to par of the series.

#70 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2496 posts) -

Probably all based on the new Dante. That and it's a franchise that didn't necessarily need a reboot. 

And the yellow name stamped on the bottom right corner of the box couldn't hurt.

#71 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

The people upset about the character change are the crazy people.

This is like when people said "You don't like ME3's ending because it isn't happy". No one is saying that he is bad because he changed his hair colour and is wearing a different coat there are deeper reasons why he is a terrible character but more importantly the gameplay isn't up to par of the series.

I would disagree. A whole hell of a lot of people complained because he changed his hair and his coat. Those are the crazy people.

#72 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: I seriously doubt anyone has said the one reason the game will be bad is he looks different. They may have said they dislike the way the game has been designed and how the character acts but that isn't a little thing. That isn't they changed it now it sucks that is a valid complaint about how he game is. It isn't just he doesn't have white hair any more that is just what a lot of the media has latched onto because it is an easy strawman to tear down

#73 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Sanious said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

Well as a DMC fan it's pretty simple. Capcom mastered action combat in DMC3 and onward to the point where I can't even play other action games because their combat feels slow, unresponsive, and just lacking in options in comparison to DMC3 and DMC4. It's reason why I can't even play God of War, Ninja Gaiden,

Are you really calling Ninja Gaiden games slow and unresponsive while comparing it with NT games? Jesus.

Hahaha. My thoughts exactly. You can call NInja Gaiden many things but Slow and Unresponsive isn't one of them.

Yeah you both are right. I shouldn't have put it on that list. But it is one of those games that just feels bad to me. I still haven't exactly placed why though. Maybe more animation priority or something. But it is certainly better than GOW and NT games.

This is not directed at you but Animation Priority is quickly becoming my least favorite game describing term. It is so dumb, I don`t get why it even exists. Yes a big weapon takes a while to swing and in the meantime you are vulnerable. What do people expect? People who campaign about this must of never played a fighting game. It just makes sense to me.

Because in some cases I still find that some games still have way to long of animations. It's not hey it takes awhile to me to swing this, but more I'm still stuck in this combo far after I finished inputting it. Now that is also on me, but other games do a better job letting this not happen, like allowing to cancel most things.

Also personally Ninja Gaiden Black > DMC 3. A lot of it has to do with blocking and countering for me. Least we can all agree that Bayonetta is the best thing thing to come since. (Right?)

I think people just don't like it because it's different. Personally I didn't really find old Dante likable, so if I don't like new Dante then whatever. I liked the combat from what I got to experience from the demo. If difficulty is such an issue for you why not just bump it up to a higher one? I hear one of them has one hit kills, go have fun with that i guess.

#74 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

@Blimble: Except for the fact that the internet exploded after the first trailer. All it showed is him fighting, it didn't show any of what his attitude would be. I'm not saying YOU personally were upset just cause of his look but if you're honestly gonna tell me you didn't say anybody raging because of the style change when that first trailer came out, you and I are on completely different internets.

#75 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

didn't show any of what his attitude would be.

They showed a dirty angry moody scrawny guy that you were meant to think was cool cause he fights demons and smokes. He was all chained up and the whole thing was dark and edgy.

people looked at that and thought it was shit design. Maybe you are just getting mixed up with people saying they liked old Dante more. If the redesign had been appealing people wouldn't have been so mad

#76 Posted by Levius (1171 posts) -

I think you have to also consider the greater narrative of Capcom being in decline as a part of the skepticism. From the last two Resident Evil games on consoles being poorly received at best, the cancellation of the last two Megaman games, releasing one of the worst games of last year in Steel Battalion; it hasn't been a great time for Capcom and they have lost some of their sheen (although granted Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath etc were cool). Its no surprise that some will be cautious about the game in light of the recent record of their bigger non-fighting game franchises, fairly or unfairly.

#77 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

They showed a dirty angry moody scrawny guy that you were meant to think was cool cause he fights demons and smokes. He was all chained up and the whole thing was dark and edgy.

people looked at that and thought it was shit design. Maybe you are just getting mixed up with people saying they liked old Dante more. If the redesign had been appealing people wouldn't have been so mad

I'm sorry you're not convincing me. The amount of info you got from that trailer was nowhere close to equal the rage that came from it. Also this conversation is silly and I honestly don't care enough about something that happened that long ago to talk more about it. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

#78 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Because it is? Adam Sessler was right. The music in this game is Butt-rock. Fart noises are more pleasurable.

#79 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: You know what fine but you have to admit people including big game sites still say that all the people who disliked the game are only upset about the redesign and that is completely dishonest

#80 Posted by TobbRobb (4752 posts) -

People think it's gonna be bad bad because Ninja Theory games play like ass and there has been nothing shown about character or story that could possible redeem it, quite the opposite really, the story and characters are offputting to say the least.

That said I think the demo played pretty well, this is probably gonna be a fun game. I just hope Dante isn't as insufferable all the way through.

#81 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

It seems like there are some valid criticisms being made but I'm also convinced that there'd be infinitely less vitriol if they just left Dante's hair the same.

#82 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Track record of the dev behind it.

#83 Posted by chrissedoff (2153 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

Because it is? Adam Sessler was right. The music in this game is Butt-rock. Fart noises are more pleasurable.

Did the old Devil May Cry games have good music? I only tried the first one, but I remember muting the TV at the time.

#84 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -

@chrissedoff: The older ones also had terrible music.

#85 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Original Dante looked like a transvestite....Much improved! And Capcom need to outsource their work their last good game was probably SF4.

#86 Posted by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

@project343 said:

@chrissedoff: The older ones also had terrible music.

There was some OK tracks here and there, but most of it was forgettable, generic industrial rock stuff. I think this new one has a much better soundtrack, though, even if it's of a similar style. I especially like the song that plays during this trailer:

#87 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I haven't played one of these in a while. I will play it. I think it is just the fact that its a reboot of something that isn't all that old is what caused the negativity. And the Sess does gripe about the gameplay. He says the late game combat limits the combo system by forcing you to use certain weapons and thinks that is Sess-poop and not Sess-tastic.

#88 Posted by Sogeman (872 posts) -

Because his hair wasn't white and fanboys are idiots.

#89 Edited by Reisz (1517 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

This is kind of where I was coming from, The impression I got from that first trailer and more over the concept art was one of poor design choices, I don't know about anyone else but I can't think of an environment where I would applaud the character design on display here. If that is how their team approaches an opportunity to reboot Devil May Cry, it's easy to see how they could miss the point. I hoped that the gameplay would stand on it's own away from the aesthetics (and if it were detached from these visuals and the expectations the DmC name brings to me, it would) but my coming away from the demo. . . I'll probably never buy it. The whole Demon pull/Angel lift separate trigger+face button combo thing bummed me out too, the layout just feels fidgety.

#90 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

@GunstarRed: It wasn't my intention to post it as factual proof actually, but I had a bus to catch and didn't have time to write down my own take on the opinions expressed in it. For one I have already seen what justifies Dante's action in the part where he was interpreted as mean spirited in the video. An unfortunate lack of context for that one I think, as it really just appeared to be pointless and dickish at the time. With the new context I think he seems more like DmC3's Dante, a guy that likes to pretend he doesn't care or gets engaged, but when the shit hits the fan he cares more genuinely than most people (though the original did it in a more goofy way). Not that I want to give too much credit to Dantes DmC3 characterization, but they're the same type of idea, just instead of immature, cocky goofball with a heart of gold we have a cocky, slightly dickish guy with a heart of gold. Well, I dunno if I'm reading too much into it at this point.

The part where the guy harps about Ninja Theory's motivation (the. "We are better than DMC" part) is another part where it's clearly just his own conjecture, based on a few assumptions I couldn't outright refute, but that didn't exactly seem fair either.

There's probably something else, but I'm tired of writing about this.

#91 Posted by Maitimo (204 posts) -

The reasoning starts with different assumptions: that Ninja Theory make Bad Games, and that Capcom is eager to bag mainstream sales through making games "accessible", abandoning the things that made these games fun. Neither of these is particularly unreasonable.

#92 Posted by J12088 (455 posts) -

@Sanious said:

@J12088 said:

Looking at the gameplay footage there seems to be a real lack of fighting in the levels I've seen and a fair bit more platforming. Couldn't careless what dante looks like and people claiming it's better cause he looks more down to earth are in for a real shock when they see hes still got his cheesey/asshole lines. The lack of action in this action game is the worry.

But I've only seen a few levels I'll wait till i see more. So far it doesnt look very good.

From what I gather the normal mode seems pretty much for anyone that really wants to enjoy the story. Assuming the combat sections are going to be a bit lengthier when it comes to the harder difficulties.

Unfortunately i have to play through that to get to the real meat of the game.

#93 Posted by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@Sanious said:

@J12088 said:

Given DMC4, though, I don't know why you're surprised.

#94 Posted by super2j (1733 posts) -

simple: they are some playa haters matey, now be a good lad gov'nr and throw a shrimp on the barbie. The barbie being a metaphor for flame bait and the shrimp being the troll... Ayaa Jackie. Sometimes what we try to make sense of something that simply has no sense to be made, when millions of decisions come together to become this giant monster, all we can do is look at it and scream GOJIRA!!!!! Never sure of the origins of the creature from the black lagoon of our hearts. Now take this Key-board and go on an adventure with Donald and Goofy to find what you truly seek. Fun. Just play the damn game and enjoy it without the bullshit.

#95 Edited by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@Icemael said:

Because Devil May Cry is all about the combat and Ninja Theory's previous combat systems have been laughable. Judging by the demo this one is better, but still not particularly impressive.

This.

#96 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

1. 30 FPS 
2. NT's previous games often being below 30 FPS 
3. Combat 
4. FUCK YOU NO FUCK YOUUUU I HAVE A BIGGER DICK THAN YOU LOL 

#97 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -
@project343 said:

@believer258 said:

I did too...
#98 Posted by Milkman (17030 posts) -

Because hair.

#99 Posted by J12088 (455 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@J12088 said:

@Sanious said:

@J12088 said:

Given DMC4, though, I don't know why you're surprised.

Well yeah the point i was making was about the lack of enemies. I play DMC for the combat...from what I've seen this game lacks enemies.DMC4 did not lack enemies even on normal. I hope I'm wrong.

#100 Posted by Nottle (1917 posts) -

I think part of it is change is bad because it's change.

However Devil May Cry is a very mechanically driven game. It's meant for the player to get better at and have a lot of depth. Ninga Theory really didn't show that they could handle DMC's style of action in their previous games especially the GOW clone Heavenly Sword.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.