Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Why did people think this was going to be a bad game?

• 133 results
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By falserelic

People are going to bitch and moan regardless of the reviews. I don't care about other people's thoughts. I'm just looking forward to playing this game tomorrow. Looks more enjoyable then DMC4 to me.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Solh0und

@Roland_D11 said:

It is pretty simple: People hate change.

That sums it up.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By ArtisanBreads

DANTES HAIR ISNT WHITE OH MY GOD HOW COULD THEY RUIN SUCH A GREAT CHARACTER WITH SUCH AN AMAZING DESIGN AND GREAT WRITING BEHIND HIM

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Maybe because the past Devil May Cry's combat has been terrible, shoot guys up in the air, hit them a few times, repeat.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#105  Edited By Yummylee

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Maybe because the past Devil May Cry's combat has been terrible, shoot guys up in the air, hit them a few times, repeat.

Oh c'mon... Calling the previous games' combat terrible and reducing it to ''shoot guys up in the air and hit them a few times'' is just as bad as all of the seething, irrational hatred this game has gotten.

Unless you're just trollbaiting, then shame on you.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Oh c'mon... Calling the previous games' combat terrible and reducing it to ''shoot guys up in the air and hit them a few times'' is just as bad as all of the seething, irrational hatred this game has gotten.

He's kinda right, though. That's generally what people do in DMC games. Juggle, shoot, attack a bit, dodge, juggle, shoot, attack a bit, dodge.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

C'mon man.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

C'mon man.

Did you play DMC4, what a waste that was, that combat system was alright in the early PS2 era but DMC4 was so bad...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

C'mon man.

Did you play DMC4, what a waste that was, that combat system was alright in the early PS2 era but DMC4 was so bad...

Well okay, I didn't like that game either. I don't think the combat was bad though. The story, levels, enemies, etc were all lame though.

DMC 3 is very good though, even today. The combat didn't age I just don't think DMC 4 was good.

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

He's kinda right, though. That's generally what people do in DMC games. Juggle, shoot, attack a bit, dodge, juggle, shoot, attack a bit, dodge.

I generally roll around and flying swallow half the time in Ninja Gaiden Black yet that's the best character action game ever.

It's reductive to say that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Yummylee

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

But it all depends on how and when you attack (and what attack you use), plus with all of the different weapons and styles and the variety of enemies/bosses ect. It's like saying in a Gran Turismo game all you do is: drive, drift around the corner, drive, repeat.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Yummylee said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

But it all depends on how and when you attack (and what attack you use), plus with all of the different weapons and styles and the variety of enemies/bosses ect. It's like saying in a Gran Turismo game all you do is: drive, drift around the corner, drive, repeat.

No it's more just to do with how easy DMC4 was by using that tactic, if its the same in this reboot count me out. I played DMC4 after Ninja Gaiden 2 and DMC is just so simple.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By SlashDance

Numbered sequel : "It's the same game, gaming industry is creatively bankrupt."

Reboot : "It's not the same anymore, what the hell !"

Yes I am oversimplifying the issue but it goes to show that angry people are the most vocal (see metacritic user scores for reference), and don't necessarily represent the overall opinion of every gamer.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By cannonballbam

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By Dixavd

Reasons people are immediately wary of this game:

1. Change (developer/style etc...)
    2. Quite a long time since a DmC game has been released (especially one which got critically aclaimed overall)
    3. January Release (pushed back to from Holiday 2012)
    4. Opinionated people making harsh comments (usually due to being fans of the series previously)

Ultimately it will take until February before the real conscious opinions appear where everyone who wants to try it get a chance.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Yummylee

@Bourbon_Warrior: Same with Gran Turismo! You have no idea how easy that game is when you just drive everywhere.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Same with Gran Turismo! You have no idea how easy that came is when you just drive everywhere.

Yeah Gran Turismo had a pretty terrible driving system compared to Forza, you now understand my comparision to DMC and Ninja Gaiden.

The combat system was terrible. DMC4 sucked donkey balls!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#117  Edited By Sooperspy

@Roland_D11 said:

It is pretty simple: People hate change. Ninja Theory did not develop DMC before, so there is the first reason. And then everybody freaked out because Ninja Theory dared to change the look of Dante.

Pretty much this.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Yummylee

@Bourbon_Warrior: Ugh... whatever, I'm not going to bother any further with anyone who will so frequently class games as ''terrible''. You're making the word itself completely meaningless.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Ugh... whatever, I'm not going to bother any further with anyone who will so frequently class games as ''terrible''. You're making the word itself completely meaningless.

DMC4 was terrible in my opinion, so how is it meaningless, I paid money for that game and really hated it, am I supposed to just say meh after spending 60 dollars on it?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#120  Edited By musubi

Y'all are nuts if you think DMC 4 was "horrible" for fucks sake they amplified the abilities of Dante significantly . While I like the overall design of DMC 3 the most out of all the games Dante was still fairly limited you had access to one style and a set of four weapons. DMC 4 let you switch styles on the fly really elevating Dante's options.

Also Nero? Nero was insane. People that were real good with Nero could absolutely mop the floor with every boss in the game. His devil bringer really made him feel unique and the timing on doing his rev's with his sword added another neat layer into the combat. I for one really liked DMC 4 and people knocking it for "backtracking" and "rehashing bosses" must have never played the other games for gods sake.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#121  Edited By ThePickle

The title.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#122  Edited By Nettacki

@Redbullet685 said:

@Roland_D11 said:

It is pretty simple: People hate change. Ninja Theory did not develop DMC before, so there is the first reason. And then everybody freaked out because Ninja Theory dared to change the look of Dante.

Pretty much this.

Except for the part about the hair. Most fans of the series got over that fairly quickly after the initial reveal.

What fans are REALLY worried about was everything else related to the game: the combat, the story, characters, setting, writing.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Roger778

@project343:

So did I.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@ArtisanBreads said:

DANTES HAIR ISNT WHITE OH MY GOD HOW COULD THEY RUIN SUCH A GREAT CHARACTER WITH SUCH AN AMAZING DESIGN AND GREAT WRITING BEHIND HIM

"I should have been the one to fill your dark hair with BLEACH!!"

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By Sooty

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Just because most people do that means shit all, check out this gal:

Most people mash on fighting games. So what? Doesn't mean they have bad systems in place.

Nightfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#126  Edited By Nightfang

@Roland_D11 said:

You said everything I wanted to say, thank you.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#127  Edited By Undeadpool

@Moncole: THEY CHANGED HIS HAIR, MAN! HIS HAIR!!!

@project343 said:

@believer258 said:

Because people were afraid that this would become Enslaved.

I loved Enslaved. :(

Me too...but it wasn't GREAT from a gameplay perspective and gameplay's KIND of all the DMC franchise has going (which is why I am laughing UPROARIOUSLY that people are talking about how bad the DmC story is).

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Crysack

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Yeah, I guess that's why fans held a ton of free-form combo tournaments for both DMC 3 and 4, huh? You are either delusional, trolling or you have just flat-out never played a DMC game.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Crysack: No I just find most of the moves in DMC games to be about flash more than about practicality, I love the Ninja Gaiden games (apart from 3) and that was a great combat system, you really needed to learn specific moves to get past the harder difficulties, I enjoyed DMC 1 and 3 but that was before I found the greatness that was Ninja Gaiden, new DMC sounds good though.

EDIT : I searched Youtube and couldn't find any videos for these Free-Form Combo Tournaments you speak of, can you post a video here, thanks.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Crysack

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Crysack: No I just find most of the moves in DMC games to be about flash more than about practicality, I love the Ninja Gaiden games (apart from 3) and that was a great combat system, you really needed to learn specific moves to get past the harder difficulties, I enjoyed DMC 1 and 3 but that was before I found the greatness that was Ninja Gaiden, new DMC sounds good though.

EDIT : I searched Youtube and couldn't find any videos for these Free-Form Combo Tournaments you speak of, can you post a video here, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=truestyle+tournament+&oq=truestyle+tournament+&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.629.4410.0.4928.23.14.0.9.9.2.235.1882.5j6j3.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.fk-QzPzIIjI

If anything your NG/DMC comparison is backwards. NG is all about spamming the same few powerful moves over and over again while focusing on dodging. DMC is about utilising every weapon/style and its moves and using jump canceling to construct your own combos while continuing to dodge around to avoid any hits (because on DMD, a couple of hits spells death).

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ExplodeMode

@mcderby4: Yeah, I probably shouldn't have made that a reply.

I didn't mean you in particular, or even this game really. I think I was trying to say a that a dismissive attitude of a dismissive attitude, is still a dismissive attitude. But I'm not good at articulating it.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#132  Edited By Deranged

@ExplodeMode: No big mate.

Sombrero_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Sombrero_Ninja

@Sooty said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Yummylee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Just because most people do that means shit all, check out this gal:

Most people mash on fighting games. So what? Doesn't mean they have bad systems in place.

You people are ignoring so many strong arguments for why the "old" DMCs are good. Please stop doing that at at least try to debate on a factual level. Its really really not just OMG THEY CHANGED THE HAIR MEHHHHHHHHHHHH I DON'T WANT TO PLAY DmC NOW

Edit: The quote directly above me with the videos is a strong argument if you don't understand what I am trying to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.