No recent wiki edits to this page.
Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! (called Doki Doki Majo Saiban until shortly before release) was released only in Japan on July 5th 2007. According to Amazon
, leading up to it's release, pre-orders for the game topped the likes of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
and Final Fantasy Tactics
. Despite the reasonable popularity and sales that briefly exceeded the aforementioned releases, SNK
has announced that it has no plans to bring the game (or the series) to any region outside Japan. SNK
has however, published a sequel titled Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! 2 DUO
Akuji Nishimura is leading a relatively simple life until one day he gets approached by an angel named Lulu to locate a witch that has infiltrated his school. The witch however, is invisible to the naked eye and resembles any regular human. Thus, Lulu advises to search for "witch marks", which are located somewhere on the subjects body. The desired method to do this is touch.
- Akuji Nishimura: A junior high student that bloats about being a "bad boy". He is forced to co-operate with Lulu under the threat of being turned into a good one.
- Angel Lulu: Has been sent by the arch-angel to send Akuji on his mission. She helps him along the way.
- Maho Akai: A 14 year old girl who is a member of the cheerleading club. She has the ability to shoot energy balls.
- Maria Abe: A fortune-telling 14 year old girl with glasses. Has the ability to make potions and set up barriers.
- Renge Oda: A 13 year old retro-gamer. Her pride and joy is "Athena" on the NES, which is a reference to SNK. Her abilities include teleportation and a "power sneeze".
- Yuuma Mochizuki: A 13 year old boy that is hospitalized most of the time. He can transform into a werewolf.
- Ayame Midoh: The only daughter of the Shinto shrine, this 15 year old girl has the ability to summon familiars and use a talisman.
- Merry Watabiki: At just 12 years old, this girl always wears a bunny costume and can shoot meteors and create explosive Doppelgängers.
- Eve Seiya: The 23 year old school nurse. Her ability is shooting energy balls.
- Noel Seiya: The arch-angel that commanded Lulu. She is the sister of Eve. She can summon holy slugs, shoot energy balls and wields a holy sword.
- Cawasen Chiyo: A fellow member of Maho in the cheerleading club.
- Reverse-Panda: A weirdly colored panda that can be found in one hundred places throughout the game.
The gameplay consists of simply finding suspects to examine and interact with. There isn't much to it besides using the stylus to guide Akuji's hands as he searches for the "victim's" witch mark. After being uncovered as a witch, Akuji battles them and if he wins they give up.
Popularity and Criticism
Alot of criticism from various sources has emerged after the game became a fast selling title in Japan. The title became popular after diverse and notorious internet blogs and internet news outlets reported on the game with humor and distaste. This can be attributed to the fact that most characters in the game are particularly well-endowed for their age and have not yet reached the legal age for sexually explicit actions. (It should be noted that this fact differs between regions and that Japan is also different in this regard.) Despite reproach from the American and European audiences, SNK has put large emphasis on the sexuality of the characters in advertisements, marketing and products originating from the game, and it continues to do so with it's sequel, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! 2 DUO
- The number of Reverse-Panda's collected at the end of the game unlocks various bonuses including "Extra Episodes" and a "Free Witch Mode" where the player has unlimited time to fondle the game's characters.