Do you believe that dolphins are sapient?

#1 Posted by LightRain (167 posts) -
#2 Posted by LightRain (167 posts) -

Scientists claim that dolphins are sapient and possibly even sentient, and that they should be considered "non-human persons," in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. Do you believe dolphins to be sapient or sentient?

#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2679 posts) -
@LightRain said:
" in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. "
Yeah dolphins from those countries really get pissed off with our "No dolphins in our restaurants" attitude when they go on vacation.
#4 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

if dolphins are so smart, why do they swim in their own shit?

#5 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" if dolphins are so smart, why do they swim in their own shit? "
To keep up appearances, they don't want us to know they're sapient ;)
#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Are you replacing Astrotriforce or something?

#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#8 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them.

#9 Posted by LightRain (167 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" So long, and thanks for all the fish. "
So sad that it should come to this.
#10 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
Dont know if you were trying to be funny or smart?
#11 Posted by LightRain (167 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" @Three0neFive said:
Dont know if you were trying to be funny or smart? "
> Trying
#12 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them. "
That's right, because things only have a value insofar as they are useful to humans.  
#13 Posted by SuperFusion (43 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
We shall realize once we caught the last fish, that we cannot eat money.
#14 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@beej said:
" @keyhunter said:
" Dolphins are useless. All they can do is swim and eat and shit. We should be eating them. "
That's right, because things only have a value insofar as they are useful to humans.   "
In his defense, they are delicious.
#15 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

Fuck dolphins

#16 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

If true we should launch a pre-emptive strike and wipe them out.

#17 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I won't be impressed until they can play video games and assassinate presidents.

#18 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

well if they are they havent done a very good job at showing it.  they just kinda swim around all day and dont do anything interesting.

#19 Posted by mordukai (7129 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
Damn it Matt. I was going to post the same. Now all I have left is this fancy digital watch. 
#20 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I think dolphins are the only animals who have recreational sex.

#21 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -
@LightRain said:
" Scientists claim that dolphins are sapient and possibly even sentient, and that they should be considered "non-human persons," in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. Do you believe dolphins to be sapient or sentient? "
So do you have actual scientist claims or just the same old marine biologist that got laughed out of the university for saying Flipper could understand Citizen Kane? 

Do I think dolphins are some of the smarter animals around? Sure. Should we protect them from the crazy whalers and Japanese? Sure. Are they approaching our level of understanding? Not by a long shot.

I mean jesus their brain is only the size of a dog, the reason why it looks bigger and why "scientists" will say it weighs as much as a human brain is because they didn't account for all the fat around the brain that keeps it insulated.
#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
...they just kinda swim around all day and dont do anything interesting. "
Meanwhile I'm here doing housework.
So, who's the smart ones again? :P
#23 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -

I am a dolphin and what is this?

#24 Edited by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:

" I think dolphins are the only animals who have recreational sex. "

Bonobos, chimps, and your dog do it too. That's another myth crazy dolphin rights groups love spreading around like it makes the dolphin different.

No animal has sex for offspring. They have sex because it's rewarding to the brain.

Hell they held an experiment to teach a group of chimps the value of currency, where they were conditioned to trade money for food.

In a week the females would only allow the other chimps to have sex with it after dropping currency.

EDIT: Wow I misspoke, they weren't even chimps, they were just regular ass monkeys. Capuchins...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/magazine/05FREAK.html?_r=1&ei=5090&en=af2d9755a2c32ba8&ex=1275624000&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1118160068-1EGJuan4FJH1LooxHYd5/g
#25 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

For reference. 

#26 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5060 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" well if they are they havent done a very good job at showing it.  they just kinda swim around all day and dont do anything interesting. "
Threesomes.
#27 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @beej said:
" @keyhunter said:
That's right, because things only have a value insofar as they are useful to humans.   "
In his defense, they are delicious. "
Why else would the Japanese murder millions of them every year? They must be on to something.
#28 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5060 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: You have some anti-dolphin thing going on don't you.
#29 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Doctorchimp: You have some anti-dolphin thing going on don't you. "
Fuck Seaworld.
#30 Edited by Delta_Ass (3248 posts) -

Fuck dolphin and whale!

#31 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

Most humans aren't sapient.

#32 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Doctorchimp: Curse those dolphin rights groups!
#33 Edited by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:

" @Doctorchimp: Curse those dolphin rights groups! "

No, dolphins have rights for sure. I think the world would be a better place with a firmer control on all this fishing business and the ocean definitely needs help.

What I don't like is the scientific fraud that goes on.

EDIT: My favorite animal is the shark....so I might be biased...
#34 Posted by LightRain (167 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

" @LightRain said:

" Scientists claim that dolphins are sapient and possibly even sentient, and that they should be considered "non-human persons," in some countries dolphins are even considered equals to humans. Do you believe dolphins to be sapient or sentient? "
So do you have actual scientist claims or just the same old marine biologist that got laughed out of the university for saying Flipper could understand Citizen Kane?   Do I think dolphins are some of the smarter animals around? Sure. Should we protect them from the crazy whalers and Japanese? Sure. Are they approaching our level of understanding? Not by a long shot. I mean jesus their brain is only the size of a dog, the reason why it looks bigger and why "scientists" will say it weighs as much as a human brain is because they didn't account for all the fat around the brain that keeps it insulated. "
  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6973994.ece

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.