Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1995

When Donkey Kong is kong-napped by the evil Kaptain K. Rool, it's up to nephew Diddy (and his girlfriend Dixie) to traverse Crocodile Isle to rescue him!

Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best Donkey Kong.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

Better levels, better graphics, better sound and better everything. Am I wrong?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By MEATBALL

It's a pretty classic game, I really liked Retro's DKCR, though.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@MEATBALL: I still need to play that one. I guess I'm really talking about the core 3 Country games on the SNES. I feel the 2nd one is the best.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its a crap series in general. Yes, they may be graphically impressive but as platformers they're super generic.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mylifeforAiur

@MysteriousBob: Good music, though. You can't possibly deny that.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Correct.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I guess. I think the first two Donkey Kong Country' are the same, and the third isn't bad either, but it's not as good. I'm pretty sure you're saying this because the music is great. Oh, and although Retro made the great Metroid Prime series, I didn't really like the remake of DKC. Then again, after my brother had bought it, I never played it, only saw some of it and downloaded the soundtrack to listen to, I erased it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@MysteriousBob said:

Its a crap series in general. Yes, they may be graphically impressive but as platformers they're super generic.

Generic =/= crap, and the games are hardly generic. Very much traditional, yes, but I can't remember anything that was exactly like it that came out before. Not that your opinion is invalid, but do you have any (better) reasons for calling the games crap?

Anyway, I do agree with the OP. The second one was the best one as far as I'm concerned. The first one was excellent too, but I felt that the second had more content, tighter controls, and more interesting levels. Zinger's Hive, in particular, was pretty memorable. Especially since I was scared of bees at the time and ran out of the house screaming bloody murder when I first came across it.

The third game wasn't bad, either, but something about it felt loose to me. That's the best way that I can describe it. It felt like some corporate guy had said "Hey! Let's make another one of these DKC games!" I liked it a whole lot more than most other games at the time, but the game didn't feel like it had as much heart in it.

EDIT: And I haven't played the Wii one at all yet.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL

@AcidBrandon18 said:

@MEATBALL: I still need to play that one. I guess I'm really talking about the core 3 Country games on the SNES. I feel the 2nd one is the best.

Then you are correct, sir.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By dagas

I had Donkey Kong Land 2 on the Gameboy and I really liked that. That's pretty much a port of DKC2 as I understand. I've barely played DKC2 or 3 on SNES, mostly just the first one.

I liked the girl monkey (Dixie) a lot because of her hair propeller so for that reason alone it's better than the first game.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PolyesterKyle

For me it's got to be DKC 1, the atmosphere and artwork is top notch. Plus they didn't weight it down with too many hidden objects and junk like that. It also helps that DKC 1 is the only one where I like both characters, not that they're particularly story driven or anything.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tally_Pants

DKC is def my favorite! Every once in a while I like to run through that one. One day I was chatting on the phone with my cousin as we simultaneously played through DKC, it was pretty sweet! I enjoyed all 3 of them, although 3 is the only one that I 10(3)%'d. But I would say that DKC1 is the best (my fav), simply because it is the only one that I really enjoy going back to and playing through over and over again.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86

Neat dude.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By big_jon

DKC 1 is the best in my eyes.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By pr1mus

DKC2 is the superior game in terms of content and gameplay but the atmosphere and environments of the first game are what makes it my favorite.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By myke_tuna

@Pr1mus said:

DKC2 is the superior game in terms of content and gameplay but the atmosphere and environments of the first game are what makes it my favorite.

@PolyesterKyle said:

It also helps that DKC 1 is the only one where I like both characters, not that they're particularly story driven or anything.

Post mash-up that conveys my feelings very, very well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.