Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1995

When Donkey Kong is kong-napped by the evil Kaptain K. Rool, it's up to nephew Diddy (and his girlfriend Dixie) to traverse Crocodile Isle to rescue him!

Past Expiration: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Ever since Tropical Freeze I've been in a Donkey Kong state of mind. I also dug an old CRT out of my closet and found a space on my desk for it. So I figured that was reason enough to break out some of my old consoles and hook them up for a time. Eventually this led to playing probably my all time favorite DKC game in the form of Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest.

I'm one of those weirdoes who can go back to just about anything and play it just fine. The whole HD era hasn't done much to change my tolerance to the polygons of the N64 or the OG Playstation. Going back to the SNES was really easy, and damn do those old consoles fire up quickly. No home screen, no load bar, no connecting online or updates or patches. Just press power and go. It's refreshing how fast it is to play a game. It's a matter of trade offs and convenience, but when it all works it's really nice.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest

Never realized that subtitle gag until recently
    Never realized that subtitle gag until recently

Man, what a game. Donkey Kong Country 2 left a really solid impression when it came out, and going back to it has just about the same impact as before. The one thing I've realized only recently is the pun in the subtitle if you cram 'Kong' and 'Quest' together for conquest. Diddy's conquest. I would expect no less from the series that brought you alliterations and dumb wordplay like Fear Factory, Tree Top Town, and Very Gnawty's Lair. Not to mention stuff like Punch Bowl in Tropical Freeze.

I beat the game a little over two hours going as fast as I could. I've already played to 102% three or four times way back in the day, so this time I tried my hand at the speedrunning method. World record is like 40 minutes or so if you're curious so I'm a little off from that. At any rate, it gave me everything I needed to reaffirm by love for this game. Pirate Kremlings, Barrel Bayous, Flights of the Zingers, Krazy Kremland, and the dawn of the helicopter ponytail. Not to mention those bramble stages and that oh-so-good music. And man does this game get vicious when it comes to animal stages. I know why Squawks is no longer an animal buddy you can ride, because I murdered that stupid parrot super hard.

So Tight, So Solid

The controls in this game are so good. It's really easy to feel the difference coming off Tropical Freeze. And making a comparison like that only works in the sense of the series, as Retro Studios is a different studio from Rare and has a whole different take on the adventures of Donkey Kong and company. So obviously they handle different. But it's just so nice to have 100% confidence of bouncing off enemies without worrying if the game will give you the extra height. Holding down the Y button for running and zipping through stages feels natural. The total control necessary for navigating all the perils of Crocodile Isle, whether on the ground or flying through the air, are totally there.

Which is good because DKC2 is all about tricky jumps and perilous enemy placements on small platforms or strategically placed killer wasps waiting for you to run into them. I died maybe twenty times or more throughout my 2 hour run, most of them involving pits in bayou stages and crocodiles acting as platforms as they rise and descend out of water. There wasn't really a place I got stuck on, except for a few stages where I forgot that pressing the up and down buttons can control your speed of ascent and descent with Squawks the Parrot or air currents in a giant well. Even the bramble stages went pretty smoothly, which brings me to my next point...

The Bramble Scramble

Aw yeah, I know what you want.

Back when I was a kid the bramble stages were like the hardest thing ever because they were levels where the gimmick involved wrapping death around the player at every angle possible. Then they would spice things up with long strings of barrel cannons where one wrong button press would blast you into certain doom or maybe make you fly Squawks through obstacle courses consisting of angry hornets and dive bombing buzzards. Man, deaths were plentiful back then when it came to the stickerbush levels.

Death is Everywhere!
    Death is Everywhere!

However, these stages always had the coolest, most relaxing music which worked well with the frustration of constantly bumping into the walls and ceilings of pain, especially when that dumb parrot was involved. I really love Stickerbush Symphony. It's probably my favorite song out of DKC2. But I'm still kind of amazed by the reputation it's built up over the years. I would not be surprised if people hated it on principle after crossing the uncanny valley of popularity. There have been a million remixes of this song both official and unofficial. So I feel it's important to mention the rest of the soundtrack ain't nothing to sneeze at either.

Mining Melancholy, Never Forget

I bought the DKC Trilogy album from the Nintendo store back in the day that had all three Donkey Kong Country soundtracks. And I have never forgotten about one of the worst omissions from a soundtrack I've seen in a long time. On the DKC2 CD they had forgotten to include Mining Melancholy that played for levels like Squawk's Shaft, Windy Well, and Kannon's Klaim. That was probably my second favorite song right behind Stickerbush Symphony and I couldn't believe someone had managed to mess up that badly. I had to reburn the whole CD just to put it back in there.

But the main point is that the soundtrack of DKC2 is pretty incredible so missing out on any of them is really noticeable. I could just fire off my favorites like Hot-Head Bop for the cauldron stages. Or Bayou Boogie when you get stuck in the swamp. In a Snow-Bound Land only appears in two stages, but it's still pretty great. Another one of my favorites, which I feel doesn't get quite enough love, is Disco Train for the rollercoaster rides in Krazy Kremland. Even the tracks for the Kong's helping you out had some great themes. Stuff like Funky the Main Monkey, or Swanky's Swing for the quiz games. I also really enjoyed the final boss theme when you go head to head with K. Rool called Crocodile Cacophony. His blunderbuss has some mean tricks.

And of course, I have to give a special spot for Mining Melancholy. Love that theme for the mine.

Second is the Best

The first Donkey Kong Country is a good game, but I really like the direction they took for the sequel. The pirate theme works well enough if only to have an excuse to give the Kremlings cool hats and cutlasses. I also love the various worlds and appreciate how they generally tried to avoid hitting the usual destinations like desert world, ice world, fire world, etc. Some stages had elements of these, but they were usually spread out and incorporated other themes so it at least had some variety. Donkey Kong Country 2 is the only game I know that has a Beehive Rollercoaster World where you go from raiding bee farms to an amusement park and back.

But yeah, definitely happy to play that again.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By majormitch

You do know what I want!

I listened to the DKC2 soundtrack too much in college, to the point where my roommate from that year would probably go insane if he ever had to listen to Stickerbrush Symphony again. But I'm with you in that it's a really great song, along with everything else on the DKC2 soundtrack. It's probably my all-time favorite video game soundtrack. Shout-outs to Jib Jig, Lockjaw's Saga, and Flight of the Zinger, three more awesome songs in addition to those you listed :)

I don't think I had as many issues with Tropical Freeze as you did, but I will also not argue for one second that DKC2 isn't the best DKC game. In addition to the stellar soundtrack, the game had so much variety in its levels, both mechanically and thematically. I feel like that's where it stepped it up most significantly from the original DKC, and when combined with the tight controls as you mentioned, and the soundtrack, it's pretty clearly the best DKC game in my mind.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

You're one of the first people I've come across that say the controls in DK2 were tight and solid. Granted, I'm comparing an internet board to conversations with my real life friends, but still. Even though DK2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I still hate it for the controls.

Especially when jumping from one rope to another.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majormitch: Yeah, I still don't know if making the comparison of Tropical Freeze's controls to DKC2 is exactly fair. Tropical Freeze tries a lot of stuff and has a bit more going on, but I don't feel like all of it works. Picking stuff up can be a real hassle and I'm still scarred from Bopopolis trying to decipher those timing windows. Where DKC2 has two like three buttons, run, jump, and switch partners.

Good choices for the music too! Flight of the Zinger is definitely a cool track.

@yoshisaur: Haha. Until the dawn of the internet, I never heard anyone complain about the controls of DKC2! Especially not the ropes, which you grab automatically so you don't have to think about it. I can see maybe Chain Link Chamber giving people a bad taste about it, especially they way they arrange some of those big sections with Zingers flying around. It's sometimes easier just to jump up ropes instead of climbing them, depending on the obstacle.

But controls in DKC2 always felt pretty great to me. Or at least good enough to feel confident to conquer a lot of the obstacles later on in worlds like Castle Keep. I know things are a matter of preference though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest

I beat the game a little over two hours going as fast as I could. I've already played to 102% three or four times way back in the day, so this time I tried my hand at the speedrunning method.

Well now I feel terribly inadequate about my own game playing skills. Nice run dude!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Anyone who says the Rare DKC games weren't any good is straight up wrong because Diddy's Kong Quest exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sarumarine: My mind is blown. All these years I've fondly remembered the subtitle being "Diddy Kong's Quest". I've been living a lie.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By frymillstrum

You calling out how tight the controls are reminded me of Dan saying recently (could have been the PS: Now Quick Look) that the original trilogy had terrible controls compared to the DKC: Returns series. i always had fond memories of how well they controlled and doubted myself a LITTLE, now I know he's just a crazy person.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458: Haha, I actually posted this before that video went up and Dan voiced his opinion on the DKC series. I have to say I strongly disagree with him there. But I did think it was funny that I played Tropical Freeze and then DKC2 in the span of a week and was fully prepared for that statement. DKC2 is just way easier to get things done outside the animal buddies. Although Tropical Freeze has those Rocket Barrel stages, so they cancel each other out on that context.

@dgtlty: I did that too! My mind must have filled in the blanks all these years because I never thought twice about it. I saw "Diddy Kong's Quest" because he's going to save DK. Of course he's on a quest. Only recently did someone point it out to me as "Diddy's Kong Quest" and the pun title came into focus. It threw me for a loop.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I somehow didn't see this until Zombiepie's Community Spotlight. How did I miss this? DKC2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I've listened to its soundtrack so many times that I can play some of the songs in my head. The whole damn is just so excellently designed, from top to bottom. I last played it two years ago, I think another run through this game might be in order.

Maybe it's because I played the 3DS version but I didn't really like DKCR all that much. Still, I really want to play Tropical Freeze at some point if only because its soundtrack is also pretty damn great.

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Agree with the sentiment here that this game is fantastic, but I also though it was difficult as hell. Especially the level with the rising acid (which was just color-swapped water) in the castle tower toward the end of the game.

Also, Bramble scramble music is too good. Glad I found people who like this game too!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

My buddy actually grabbed this for me on my birthday. My Snes is at a friends house though, so ill play it a bit later.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, there's something lacking about DKCR. At least for me. It's probably an okay, game, but I don't know. I think I miss the strong presence of quirky antagonists like the Kremlings or Snowmads. Those Tiki Masks didn't really do it for me.

@aidros: Yeah, that one was pretty tough first time around. For this playthrough, I actually died way more in Windy Well. Although most of that was because I forgot you could adjust your rate of ascent by using the directional pads. Toxic Tower wasn't so bad because I had gotten use to Rattly's super jump timing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.