Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1995

When Donkey Kong is kong-napped by the evil Kaptain K. Rool, it's up to nephew Diddy (and his girlfriend Dixie) to traverse Crocodile Isle to rescue him!

What's your favourite DKC game?

PlayerGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PlayerGuy

This one is my favourite.

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PaperPlain

Its a hard decision between one and two. Probably two, but three is completely out of the race.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Willy105

This one is my favorite as well.

PlayerGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PlayerGuy

I agree that DKC3 is not as strong.  It's game design was good, but it just wasn't as interesting as the first two games.

GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By GamespotNoMore

I've never played Donkey Kong Country 3, but from what I hear it didn't expand too much on DKC2's formu. I own Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 and I like two better, but the original is good too

Nefilim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Nefilim

I have more nostalgia for DKC, but DKC2 is clearly a better game. DKC3's style and characters just aren't as memorable as the other two.

PumpkinEscobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PumpkinEscobar

I think you guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement. Just because it came out so late and you never got into it, don't discredit DKC 3. It had BY FAR the most interesting overworld, with secrets and the vehicle upgrades to access new parts of the world. Plus the level design is just as good as the two that came before it.. Also the boss fights are a bit more inspired in 3. They're all awesome, don't get me wrong, but I think 3 is the best game hands down.

.. oh and "memorable characters" in a Donkey Kong Country game?... gimme a break

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Does Donkey Kong Land count?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donkey Kong Country 2 without a doubt. It has some of the best game music ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

@PumpkinEscobar said:
    " I think you guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement. Just because it came out so late and you never got into it, don't discount DKC 3. It had BY FAR the most interesting overworld, with secrets and the vehicle upgrades to access new parts of the world. Plus the level design is just as good as the two that came before it. They're all awesome, don't get me wrong, but I think 3 is the best game hands down. "
    Sorry, but I played DKC3 when it was released and came back to DKC2 yeeeears afterwards and I can admit it's the better game. Being able to explore the overworld doesn't make a better DKC game.

I would say DKC2 comes out on top because its soundtrack is the best out of the lot; DKC and DKC3 have some really memorable tunes but not nearly as many as DKC2. The secrets in DKC2 are also a lot more ingenious most of the time; was good that there wasn't a set number of them per level like in DKC3 (2 per level, 3 in the lost world) so you never really knew how many you had left. Really liked the pirate theme throughout the game too.

I felt that at times DKC3's levels relied a little too heavily on gimmicks perhaps. Other than that though it might just be down to opinion but I have a strong gut feeling that the second was the best, quite easily in my mind.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Sarumarine

I like Donkey Kong Country 2 the most. It had a pretty crazy collection of worlds to run through. But hey, any game that has an amusement park level is a big plus for me. The music was awesome (featuring my favorite, Stickerbush Symphony) and K. Rool was pretty hard with his multi-ammunition Blunderbuss.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm probably going to be the only one to say this... but my favorite was Donkey Kong Country 3. My least favorite was Donkey Kong Country 2.

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By itsmadness

I'm gonna agree and say the second one. But I really havent played these games since they originally came out, so I guess I'm just playing off nostalgia. I never made it far in the first one, and for whatever reason I don't remember the third one too well. Really should try out these games again, I loved them as a kid.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turtlemayor333
    @PumpkinEscobar said:
    " I think you guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement. Just because it came out so late and you never got into it, don't discredit DKC 3. It had BY FAR the most interesting overworld, with secrets and the vehicle upgrades to access new parts of the world. Plus the level design is just as good as the two that came before it.. Also the boss fights are a bit more inspired in 3. They're all awesome, don't get me wrong, but I think 3 is the best game hands down.  .. oh and "memorable characters" in a Donkey Kong Country game?... gimme a break "
    There was only a year's difference between them, dude. Kiddie is universally considered the worst playable Kong and after the darker art style in DKC2 I was pretty disappointed to see the return of generic happiness land where the elephants smile, the enemies smile, the bananas smile. Enough is enough. The Brothers Bear inventory stuff didn't seem very interesting, and perhaps the bosses in general were cooler, but the K. Rool fight was a letdown after the first two games had awesome final battles.

DKC3 also loses points for the lack of David Wise involvement. DKC2 could totally win this off the soundtrack alone, though it has the best gameplay and art style too for my money. Not sure what people in see in 3.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64

DKC 1 and 2 are very close for me.  I can't pick which one I like more.  DKC 2 was the first one I owned though.  GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  It's hard to decide.  DKC 3 is easily the worst of the 3 though, but it was still a good game.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss
    @StarFoxA:  Look five posts above you pal.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

And I also say this game is the best mainly because it has one of the best soundtracks ever and the atmosphere is amazing.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By D0tti

Tight race between the first and second game, but I think I like DKC2 the best.

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By mrcellophane

I'm gonna go with the first. Out of sheer nostalgia. Also, a Donkey Kong game where you don't control Donkey Kong is blasphemy! But I'd probably agree that the second had the best music. And it was friggin hard.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Lukeweizer

1. I remember running to a department store in the mall because they had a demo set up and just gawking at it. So fucking amazing.

DekuSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DekuSword

2 > 1 > 3

But I love 'em all :)

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gabriel

Donkey Kong Land.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By big_jon

Dk1 then DK3 then DK2.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheFreeMan

Returns, no contest.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tim_the_corsair

The original

DK64 was also fucking rad, more complex than Banjo without being annoyingly complex lime Banjo Tooie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donkey Kong Country 2.

They're all great though. It caused me pain when some dude requested DKC2 during the SNES-athon, and no one from the entire staff has a single DKC cart.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By icicle7x3

Donkey Kong 64

If you dont count that, then 2

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I love both of the first two, but I have to go with DKC2. It was genuinely a superior game. 

As for DKC3, I missed out on it. Downloaded it for Virtual Console a couple years ago, but that was a mistake. It's almost completely unplayable with how poorly they mapped the controls to the Gamecube controller. Thanks, Nintendo!

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By unsolvedparadox

The original is my favourite, I dug the second one and the third was miles below the rest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.