Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 21, 2010

Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong back to business with DKC Returns, a brand new platformer made in the vein of the original Rare SNES games.

Will this be like the GameBoy Colour version of DKC?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

The only version of the original Donkey Kong Country that I ever played extensively, was the GameBoy Colour release. Now I understand that version of the game had some differences from the Super Nintendo version. Obviously this new game was designed as a throwback to the SNES version, not the GameBoy one. My question is this: How different exactly were the SNES and GameBoy versions of DKC and will I be able to appreciate Returns since it is a throwback to the version that I didn't really play.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I think they were practically identical, gameplay-wise. Same levels and everything.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

According to GB's wiki, the GBC version of DKC was basically the same with some added mini-games. So yeah, it'll be like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They tried to emulator DKC on GBC the best they can. So it is what it is. Obviously, the SNES version had way better graphics, animation, and soundtrack to it. Gameplay-wise, they kept it pretty similar though. Level layout remained the same pretty much as well too, from what I remember.

So that being said, your DKC memories may not be as vivid as everyone else's (as someone who played SNES DKC1-3), but I think you will be able to enjoy DKCR just fine. It's a reboot, so they fully expect new players who've never heard of Donkey Kong to come in and enjoy the title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.