Will Nintendo Make "New Donkey Kong Country Trilogy Wii"?

#1 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -
#2 Edited by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -

Now that Retro has created the tools and art assets for Donkey Kong Country Returns, is there a chance in hell that they or another studio under Nintendo will be able to use those assets to make an up-to-date beautiful remake of the original trilogy?

The one issue I see that could hinder this would be Rare's involvement, and if Microsoft has any say in the matter. Would Rare agree, and if it's not their call (seeing as how they're owned by Microsoft now), then will Microsoft help a major competitor?      

EDIT: Please read before posting. There seems to be some confusion: I'm not asking whether Donkey Kong Country Returns will be made into a trilogy - I'm asking whether or not Nintendo will or can update the original trilogy in the DKCR style using Retro's tools.

#3 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -

Hard to see.

But anything is possible. It's all up to Retro.

Also, I doubt Rare has much say in the matter.

#4 Posted by Dalai (6881 posts) -

I can see this being a trilogy... I want this to be a trilogy. 

As for Rare, Donkey Kong and any phrases and lyrics pertaining to Donkey Kong are property of Nintendo so that's not even an issue.

#5 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

Well, Retro did make three Metroid Prime games, it's possible they could make three of these.  I doubt it'll happen but you never know. 

Also, Nintendo owns Donkey Kong so Rare probably has no say in whether or not more DKC games are made.
#6 Posted by LordAndrew (13990 posts) -

If you don't like the awesome pre-rendered graphics of the originals, you are a bad person.

#7 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

God I hope so

#8 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" If you don't like the awesome pre-rendered graphics of the originals, you are a bad person. "
Lol. I do love the look of the original trilogy, but I would also like to see them in real 3D. 

Same with old cartoons - I love the graininess and appreciate the relatively unsophisticated technology. I love the "filthiness", but I'd appreciate seeing it super clean as well.
#9 Posted by Hailinel (22720 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA: Donkey Kong is an always has been a Nintendo property.  Rare has no legal say in what can or can't be done in a new Donkey Kong Country game since the characters are wholly owned by Nintendo. 

As for whether Nintendo would want to make a trilogy compilation for the Wii, I doubt that we'll see one.  I'm sure that Nintendo and Retro have much better plansn for the immediate future than to release a compilation of that nature.  Metroid Prime Trilogy was a special case, given that relatively little work had to be done to get MP1 & 2 to play on the Wii.  In updating DKC 1-3, they'd have to recreate all of the stages and scenarios from scratch.
#10 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CH3BURASHKA: Donkey Kong is an always has been a Nintendo property.  Rare has no legal say in what can or can't be done in a new Donkey Kong Country game since the characters are wholly owned by Nintendo.  As for whether Nintendo would want to make a trilogy compilation for the Wii, I doubt that we'll see one.  I'm sure that Nintendo and Retro have much better plansn for the immediate future than to release a compilation of that nature.  Metroid Prime Trilogy was a special case, given that relatively little work had to be done to get MP1 & 2 to play on the Wii.  In updating DKC 1-3, they'd have to recreate all of the stages and scenarios from scratch. "
Yeah, LordAndrew filled me in. I always thought Rare had some rights pertaining to DKC, guess I was wrong. 

And yeah, now is not the time to be releasing an original trilogy remake - they're barely reintroduced the DKC name in Wii households. I'm willing to wait 5-6 years for it, if it is indeed coming. And yeah, the relative workload to basically redo the games from scratch is big, which is why I wonder if it's worth Nintendo's time.
#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

It would be rad, but I don't see it coming.

#12 Posted by Dalai (6881 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA: Update the original trilogy? Is it too late to change my yes vote?
#13 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -
@Dalai said:
" @CH3BURASHKA: Update the original trilogy? Is it too late to change my yes vote? "
Create a new account just for this poll. 
#14 Posted by Dalai (6881 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" @Dalai said:
" @CH3BURASHKA: Update the original trilogy? Is it too late to change my yes vote? "
Create a new account just for this poll.  "
I'd actually have to make two new accounts. 

MATH!
#15 Posted by LordAndrew (13990 posts) -
@Dalai: Although you could restore the difference, the ratio will still be off. You have irreparably broken the poll.
#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

I'm going to say that's not exactly likely.

#17 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

Id rather to see these guys make a new IP.

#18 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @Dalai: Although you could restore the difference, the ratio will still be off. You have irreparably broken the poll. "
Man, what a jerk...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.