Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 24, 1994

For the first time in Nintendo history, take control of Mario's former adversary as he travels through the island (with his nephew Diddy Kong) to recover his stolen banana hoard in this side-scrolling platformer from Rare (now Rareware).

Making of DKC Article on NintendoLife

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

Really nice article on NintendoLife going into the creation of DKC. Really interesting stuff. I didn't know how technically skilled the Stamper brothers themselves were. Apparently they were the first to get licensed for 3rd Party Nintendo Development by reverse engineering the NES to prove their worth. They also found David Wise in a music shop. They asked him who wrote the music he was playing and he said he did. They hired him after that. Brilliant stuff.

There's also a similar article about Diddy Kong Racing I've yet to look at. Curious how much was known during development about what Banjo and Conker would get up to later. When the decision to add them in was made, when the vehicles got in.

I love the way Rare of yore is described. Sounds like the dream studio with loads of teams all competing with each other over who can make the coolest shit. It's no wonder they dominated the landscape of the N64 era. It's sad that their teams shriveled and died, their release frequency dropped from multiple times a year to once in a blue moon and their IP has been completely underutilized for the last decade. It's sad.

Great article, can't recommend reading it enough.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks interesting, I'm going to read it when I get home from work. Thanks for sharing!

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Here's a great bit.

Tim was always 'that looks great, next, do some more'. Make it rain. Have the rain start in the background and then build through the layers until it rains on the foreground of the level. Have day to night cycles. Have snow appear. It was always a constant question of what we could do to take it to the next level."

And here are some animated Gifs I found that are great for illustrating the above.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By MormonWarrior

Those old games always looked so cool. I loved the music too. The whole package was so stellar in all three of them, especially in the second and third that really got the level design and gameplay down. I don't understand Jeff's hatred of the look of these. Also, if you want an example of how versatile the SNES sound chip was versus the Genesis, look no further.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.