Anyone else playing Don't Starve?

• 67 results
#51 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1423 posts) -

@D_W: Q and E keys

#52 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

The chrome version has a weird graphics bug for me. I'm just going to buy the chrome version and call it a day.

#53 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

I found it got old really quickly because the first part of the game is always gonna be the same. It really doesn't reward exploration cause when you die not only do you start over, but you gotta grind out the first half hour. The combat can feel to clumsy too.

#54 Posted by MasterBrief (222 posts) -

Looks interesting didnt know there was a demo will have to check it out. I like the premise and ideas for gameplay I just hate how the camera is set up reminds me of Deathspank where it kind of rotates that just always annoyed me. Will give it a try though I like a lot of the survival games that have been coming out.

#55 Posted by oulyt (9 posts) -

This game looks awesome. really want to check it out

#56 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I picked this up recently and I'm pretty addicted to it. I figured "I'll just sit down for like 20 minutes and try it out." Three hours later and 16 in-game days later, I finally died not by starving, but from my attempts to lure spiders to a tall bird to fight each other, so I could collect the spiderwebs and make a top hat. Then a treeman came over and stomped me.

This game is pretty rad.

#57 Edited by MrOldboy (869 posts) -

I liked this game a whole lot for about a half hour. But playing a game for an hour and then dying and having to do so many monotonous tasks again to progress further just made me not want to play it again.

Rogue likes work when they let you get back into the action fast and improve on your last playthough. Don't Starve feels like you are just working instead of improving. This game feels like its trying to capitalize on the recent craze for these games, yet doesn't know what it wants to really accomplish.

I will continue with it though. But I'm not playing it the same way I played FTL, where I immediately want to jump back in because I feel i can do better. Playing this I feel instead like "Ughh, great now I gotta do the same shit again for 30 minutes."

#58 Posted by envane (1163 posts) -

its weird how close it is to zynga's the pioneer trail in some aspects .. did ppl from that project make this ? otherwise i swear man its uncannily similar when you ignore the stupid ass zynga engery microtransaction bullshit over it .. which is impossible .. but yeh its like a daark version of the same core .. and much better but still similar artwork and assets

#59 Edited by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

I liked this game a whole lot for about a half hour. But playing a game for an hour and then dying and having to do so many monotonous tasks again to progress further just made me not want to play it again.

Rogue likes work when they let you get back into the action fast and improve on your last playthough. Don't Starve feels like you are just working instead of improving. This game feels like its trying to capitalize on the recent craze for these games, yet doesn't know what it wants to really accomplish.

I will continue with it though. But I'm not playing it the same way I played FTL, where I immediately want to jump back in because I feel i can do better. Playing this I feel instead like "Ughh, great now I gotta do the same shit again for 30 minutes."

I agree that building back up is pretty tedious, but personally, I don't play it as a roguelike. I've been playing my current character for quite a while. There are two ways to avoid death: firstly, the game lets you save and quit, then continue at a later time, so if you pause and kill the game (e.g. from the Windows Task Manager) just as you're about to die, you can restart the game and continue from your last save. This is pretty exploit-y, though. Secondly, under the Arcane tab in the research screen, you can see the "Meat Effigy" item. This will allow you to resurrect yourself after dying once. It's fairly easy to obtain; all you need is some basic resources, meat (which you can get by killing pigs or beefalo when they stray from the herd), and some time.

Hunger is a problem at first, but once you get into the swing of things, it's no longer an issue at all.

On a somewhat-related note, here's a picture of my base. I'm pretty pleased with it.

#60 Posted by MasterBrief (222 posts) -

Bought it today. Made it to day 10 before dying this was of course on my 4th or 5th game. I like that it keeps the map the same so you kind of have a feel for where things are. I unlocked the girl haven't got too far with her yet. Wish there was a tad easier way to get food but I guess that is where the farming comes in. I always seem to die because I get to cocky and try to fight all the spiders. Hope they add in some more stuff gradually when the game finally releases.

#61 Posted by MasterBrief (222 posts) -

@Seaborgium said:

@MrOldboy said:

I agree that building back up is pretty tedious, but personally, I don't play it as a roguelike. I've been playing my current character for quite a while. There are two ways to avoid death: firstly, the game lets you save and quit, then continue at a later time, so if you pause and kill the game (e.g. from the Windows Task Manager) just as you're about to die, you can restart the game and continue from your last save. This is pretty exploit-y, though. Secondly, under the Arcane tab in the research screen, you can see the "Meat Effigy" item. This will allow you to resurrect yourself after dying once. It's fairly easy to obtain; all you need is some basic resources, meat (which you can get by killing pigs or beefalo when they stray from the herd), and some time.

Hunger is a problem at first, but once you get into the swing of things, it's no longer an issue at all.

On a somewhat-related note, here's a picture of my base. I'm pretty pleased with it.

were you using the saplings as a fence there? Still wish there was some structures more along the lines of buildings you could actually go into. Maybe way way later as it would defeat the fire element.

#62 Edited by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

@MasterBrief said:

were you using the saplings as a fence there? Still wish there was some structures more along the lines of buildings you could actually go into. Maybe way way later as it would defeat the fire element.

Nah, I was just planting them near my base for convenient twig gathering. Some people do plant enormous walls of trees, though, which apparently makes you invincible to attack.

#63 Posted by BBAlpert (1477 posts) -

@Seaborgium said:

@MasterBrief said:

Nah, I was just planting them near my base for convenient twig gathering. Some people do plant enormous walls of trees, though, which apparently makes you invincible to attack.

I thought they fixed/broke/balanced that in a recent patch.

#64 Posted by kindgineer (2730 posts) -

I play about 15-20 minutes per day, if I can. It's not something I can get "lost" into like Minecraft, but it's extremely enjoyable when I'm playing. The feeling of dread when you forget to put down a camp-fire (the rock one) and don't have the wood for a regular is intense. The funny thing is that with the log-suit, it takes the "monster" about 5-6 hits to kill me.

#65 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

Every time I get to 'late' game in this the game loses it's luster. I'd rather just keep scavenging and recreate the map.

#66 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I just reached day 14 for the first time. Having a lot of fun with it, finding some new monsters, finding some new game mechanics and the like. Still haven't found any pigs or beefalos yet, but it's probably just a matter of time.

#67 Posted by MasterBrief (222 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@Seaborgium said:

@MasterBrief said:

I thought they fixed/broke/balanced that in a recent patch.

I don't know about the twigs but I know I still get caught on trees so if I was to wall off my area nothing could get in if properly setup. I'm sure the Grue could though. I'll have to test the saplings when I play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.