What do I do with rabbits?

#1 Posted by TheDeadComedian (231 posts) -

I've caught a bunch with the trap, but I can't seem to do anything with em. Can't eat or cook them.

Is there something super obvious I'm missing?

#2 Posted by tarvis (75 posts) -

I haven't caught any with a trap, but if you just run at them with a spear or tool, you can kill them for meat. Preferably running in the opposite direction of the hole the rabbit will be running to.

#3 Posted by cruxking (201 posts) -

when you trap them click on the trap and you should be getting a morsel of meat. thats what happens for me at least

#4 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

When you pick up your trap you'll have meat in your inventory took can eat or cook. If it isn't showing up you might have a bug.

#5 Posted by Zanda (68 posts) -

I think they may have updated the traps. I noticed whenever I capture a bird I no longer get a piece of meat but the actual living bird. That said I don't know what you do with them.

#6 Edited by tarvis (75 posts) -

@Zanda: For the birds, there's a cage you can build in the new update.

#7 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

@cruxking said:

when you trap them click on the trap and you should be getting a morsel of meat. thats what happens for me at least

With the latest update, the traps don't automatically kill rabbits (and the normal traps don't seem to catch birds any more, either). What you need to do,

#8 Posted by IamTerics (353 posts) -

Yea I noticed this in the update too. It seems you no longer get straight meat form trapping rabbits. After capturing the rabbit I dropped it then it let me kill it for meat. A couple more clicks than it used to be.

#9 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -
@BBAlpert I've this is true. You now can perform good or bad actions. Killing rabbits and so on give you bad karma. Which causes Krampus to come!
#10 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@BBAlpert I've this is true. You now can perform good or bad actions. Killing rabbits and so on give you bad karma. Which causes Krampus to come!

So it's more than just killing rabbits? I don't know, that's kind of a bummer. The name of the game is "Don't Starve," not "Be an Upstanding Citizen."

Because really, now- what good is survivalism with abject moral relativism?

#11 Posted by TheDeadComedian (231 posts) -

Thanks! Also, what's a good way to regain health early on? Eating berries is a damn slow way to do it so I thought I would plant a bunch of bushes nearby my science machine so i could use them quickly. I only know realize they need to be fertilized.

The only other area I've found is the place with spiky trees. Is that where I get the manure? Also those fucking tentacles kick my ass every time.

#12 Edited by tarvis (75 posts) -

I'd go with toasted seeds for health until you build a crock pot. Not a lot of health, but they're not difficult to obtain. Just stick in like one piece of meat and three flower petals into a crock pot and the food produced will give you most of your health back.

You get manure from the beefalo or a pig.

#13 Posted by gaminghooligan (1347 posts) -

Anyone know what the deal with the Pig King and his village is. I give him stuff I dig up and he makes it rain gold nugs. Is this the only purpose of that village?

#14 Edited by Snail (8470 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@SexyToad said:

So it's more than just killing rabbits? I don't know, that's kind of a bummer. The name of the game is "Don't Starve," not "Be an Upstanding Citizen."

I guess it kind of adds a layer of difficulty. Still, there should be an off-switch for that. Some people may want to have a brutal survivalist experience with that game.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Someone on the Klei forums said you can right-click on the bunnies in your inventory to murder them. I can't confirm that yet but give it a shot.

#16 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

@TheDeadComedian said:

Thanks! Also, what's a good way to regain health early on? Eating berries is a damn slow way to do it so I thought I would plant a bunch of bushes nearby my science machine so i could use them quickly. I only know realize they need to be fertilized.

The only other area I've found is the place with spiky trees. Is that where I get the manure? Also those fucking tentacles kick my ass every time.

Look for an area that's all grass (it should have the yellow ground texture). Chances are good that there will be a beefalo herd there somewhere, so wander around until you start to hear moo-ing. You'll find all the poop you need just sitting there on the ground.

@gaminghooligan said:

Anyone know what the deal with the Pig King and his village is. I give him stuff I dig up and he makes it rain gold nugs. Is this the only purpose of that village?

I think so. On a metagame level, I believe the Pig King is essentially a renewable source of gold, which you would eventually need for tools once the island's finite supply of flint has been used up. Granted, using up all the flint would probably take a goddamned eternity, but it IS still finite (as far as I know), so it would have to happen at some point.

#17 Posted by Max_Cherry (1111 posts) -

You fuck'em.

#18 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

@Max_Cherry said:

You fuck'em.

Confirmed.

Wait, are we still talking about the game?

#19 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@SexyToad said:

I agree with you. It really takes the fun out of the game. Maybe it's just for the holiday season, but it bums me out. Everytime I've wanted to play it recently, I remembered this update and decided to do something else.

#20 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

I think so. On a metagame level, I believe the Pig King is essentially a renewable source of gold, which you would eventually need for tools once the island's finite supply of flint has been used up. Granted, using up all the flint would probably take a goddamned eternity, but it IS still finite (as far as I know), so it would have to happen at some point.

My first world was a tiny island, less than one map-screen in size. After a few days of exploration, I realized that on the first day, I had mined out the only two or three boulders on the island. I spent the next two days in an irreversible deforestation campaign, digging up every sapling and grass tuft I could find and researching them for 20 points each, then committed suicide.

#21 Posted by Majkiboy (939 posts) -

Eat them! :D

#22 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

@Seaborgium said:

@BBAlpert said:

My first world was a tiny island, less than one map-screen in size. After a few days of exploration, I realized that on the first day, I had mined out the only two or three boulders on the island. I spent the next two days in an irreversible deforestation campaign, digging up every sapling and grass tuft I could find and researching them for 20 points each, then committed suicide.

"If I'm goin' out, I'm takin' you with me, ecosystem!"

#23 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Well... it as 3 holes...

#24 Posted by Patman99 (1544 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

Also, you can befriend his minions for a day if you give them a piece of meat or two. They will follow you around and essentially attack what you attack or chop down trees if you do. Notice that you actually need "pig skin" to build a pig house so you have to either kill your new friend or make him go on a suicide mission to kill those beefalo. The pig skin is a fairly rare drop so you are going to have to down a few buddies. But it is worth it. The house spawns a pig and while you still have to give him meat for him to follow you, it's a good, yet small, source of emergency meat OR it's a good source of extra hands that you can use if you decide to attack a spider nest or something. As far as I know, the house always generates a new pig after a few days of the old pig's death so they really are disposable. It's kinda like the farms you can build. Not enough to sustain you indefinitely, but if you build a whole bunch, you are set for life. Also, feeding a pig non-meat makes him poop and you can use that manure for building more farms. From what I see, having a pig army is essential if you want to assault the darker parts of the world.

#25 Posted by gaminghooligan (1347 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@gaminghooligan said:

Also, you can befriend his minions for a day if you give them a piece of meat or two. They will follow you around and essentially attack what you attack or chop down trees if you do. Notice that you actually need "pig skin" to build a pig house so you have to either kill your new friend or make him go on a suicide mission to kill those beefalo. The pig skin is a fairly rare drop so you are going to have to down a few buddies. But it is worth it. The house spawns a pig and while you still have to give him meat for him to follow you, it's a good, yet small, source of emergency meat OR it's a good source of extra hands that you can use if you decide to attack a spider nest or something. As far as I know, the house always generates a new pig after a few days of the old pig's death so they really are disposable. It's kinda like the farms you can build. Not enough to sustain you indefinitely, but if you build a whole bunch, you are set for life. Also, feeding a pig non-meat makes him poop and you can use that manure for building more farms. From what I see, having a pig army is essential if you want to assault the darker parts of the world.

0_0

I had no idea you could do that! Game changer lol!

#26 Posted by LutonHatter (323 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

@Patman99 said:

@gaminghooligan said:

0_0

I had no idea you could do that! Game changer lol!

Feed them monster meat, it makes them better at killing things!

#27 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

@LutonHatter said:

Feed them monster meat, it makes them better at killing things!

Yes, this is 100% accurate verified good tips information and will result in zero negative consequences. Do it for sure.

#28 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

Re: the pig men, um, I found out the hard way that you might not want to have a gang of four of them out with you on a night with a full moon. Just a tip. I don't know if it had something to do with me feeding them monster meat to get them to come with me, but either way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.