Doom 3 or 3BFG (PC)

#1 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

I loved Doom 3 when it came out and now that BFG edition is out I was thinking about picking it up. Then I started hearing about how it kinda sucks on PC with its lack of options and no mods and so on. I can get doom 3 plus the expansion pack for 25 on steam then mod it to run in widescreen and add the HD mod and any other mods I wish. Is there any reason to get the BFG edition over the original? Also I don't care about the lost mission.

#2 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1458 posts) -

If the QL was of any indication, stick with the OG version.

#3 Posted by KaneRobot (1688 posts) -

After watching the QL, I don't think there is any reason to. If you like Doom 3, buy Doom 3. The BFG edition looks like it removes a few of the things that made Doom 3 unique (flashlight behavior & being able to use the flashlight at all times). And, as you mentioned, mods have made the original noticably more appealing.

At least wait until BFG is on clearance.

#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

No reason at all, BFG only exists because Doom 3 on the original Xbox wasn't the same game. Putting it out on PC is just them hoping to get a few extra sales.

The only thing remotely interesting that id or Carmack are involved in is the Oculus Rift, I don't think they've done anything of merit since Quake III.

#5 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Probably not, you could also get the co-op mod and try that out too

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12094 posts) -

Unfortunately, what was shown in the QL made it seem like using Sikkmod with the original is probably the better solution. I feel that this was more of a console release than anything

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.