Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 03, 2004

Doom 3, a more story-focused remake of the original Doom, is a sci-fi first-person-shooter that was widely considered the most graphically advanced game available for its time.

Doom 3 or Quake 4?

Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
    GristleMcThornbody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm in the mood for some id gaming. Both of these games are pretty cheap on steam right now. Any recommendations? I loved Quake 2 but I've never gotten around to either of these....

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By razkazz

Definitely Doom 3. I grew to love Quake 4 by the end but, for whatever reason, for the first like 6 hours there aren't tons of enemies, your squadmates kill the atmosphere, and it's just pretty boring. It does pick up and feel more like Quake II for the last 12 plus hours, but Doom 3 is solid throughout. Whichever you choose, make sure to play on hard because in a very un-idlike move they made the normal difficulty of both way too easy.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UnrealDP

@razkazz said:

Definitely Doom 3. I grew to love Quake 4 by the end but, for whatever reason, for the first like 6 hours there aren't tons of enemies, your squadmates kill the atmosphere, and it's just pretty boring. It does pick up and feel more like Quake II for the last 12 plus hours, but Doom 3 is solid throughout. Whichever you choose, make sure to play on hard because in a very un-idlike move they made the normal difficulty of both way too easy.

This! I've also recently played Quake 4 and it's also got some piss poor level design in a spot or two. Just old timey levels where you're sitting around for like 5 minutes trying to figure out the obtuse way you're supposed to advance.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Doom 3 and its expansion. Quake 4 was cool too and way more of a shooter, but Doom 3 is the better game. id Software also made Doom 3 while Raven made Quake 4.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

Quake 4 slightly.....they're both very good games, but I just think Quake 4 has better shooting.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By icicle7x3

Quake 4 has Peter Stormare, the choice is clear.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bybeach

Doom 3. Quake 4 wasn't bad though... and a hell of a docter's visit to the Strogg I remember....

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

Quake III

or the other two bad games you mentioned

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

I'm going to say Doom 3. And if you can swing it get the original NOT the BFG edition on PC. Its pretty dope. The flashlight might have been an technical limitation at the time but it also actually really made to up the horror and tension of the game and that added to the experience if you are going to play Doom 3 or the expansion don't cheat yourself out of a good time by playing the new one where they "fixed" a problem that didn't need fixed.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I had a copy of Quake 4, I would burn it. If I had a copy of Doom 3, I wouldn't play it. But if I had to play one of them, Doom 3 is clearly the answer.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

I actually really enjoyed Quake 4, despite horrible loading on the 360. Good old school combat, with some varied enemies and some memorable parts in the campaign.

Doom 3 is well made, but I honestly can't finish it since it scares the hell out of me. Great tension and atmosphere if you aren't a wuss.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

I love both of them, but unless you really like the Strogg, go for Doom 3.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By razkazz

@UnrealDP said:

@razkazz said:

This! I've also recently played Quake 4 and it's also got some piss poor level design in a spot or two. Just old timey levels where you're sitting around for like 5 minutes trying to figure out the obtuse way you're supposed to advance.

So true. I was replaying a section not long ago where you're outside in some trenches and after you clear the enemies it tells you your objective but not where to go. So I'm running in circles for like 10 minutes because the only logical path is this cave entrance that I should totally be able to enter but it has an invisible wall. Eventually I jumped on some crates and it let me jump out of the trenches and run to the next area. It was just odd because, even though invisible walls are always poor design, it would've been much more understandable to have them blocking off the top of the trenches. I was surprised to see that kind of shoddy work from Raven.

FMinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FMinus

Both are great games. Quake 4 was slightly better in my eyes due to fiction and setting.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnrealDP

@razkazz said:

@UnrealDP said:

@razkazz said:

So true. I was replaying a section not long ago where you're outside in some trenches and after you clear the enemies it tells you your objective but not where to go. So I'm running in circles for like 10 minutes because the only logical path is this cave entrance that I should totally be able to enter but it has an invisible wall. Eventually I jumped on some crates and it let me jump out of the trenches and run to the next area. It was just odd because, even though invisible walls are always poor design, it would've been much more understandable to have them blocking off the top of the trenches. I was surprised to see that kind of shoddy work from Raven.

OHMYGOD TOTALLY! That part was the most goddamn infuriating thing. What that game asks you to pull off right there just felt like an exploit. I was pretty sure I had messed it up or was finding some secret, but no, that's just janky level design, folks. I remember there was a later part with these lifting walls in the Strogg (christ am I spelling that right?) facility that also messed me up, but it's been a bit.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cold_Wolven

They're both cool games but I think I have to give it Doom 3 for just being more atmospheric with PDAs containing emails and audio logs.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

They're both pretty good games. The choice mostly boils down to whether you prefer a more horror or action oriented focus. Doom3 is more horror, Quake 4 is more action.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258

Also, Quake 4 was made by Raven, I believe, not id.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Vextroid

Definitely Doom 3 + Sikkmod.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom 3 if you need help sleeping or Quake 4 if you want to have a good time.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wampa1

@Icicle7x3: He asked me to check up and make sure you are enjoying your... Cinco boy.

Playing through the BFG edition of Doom 3 (which feels both faster and more tightly packed with enemies) I'm starting to believe that I judged that game to harshly as a teen. Still it isn't really "run at 100 mph" doom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.