So this comes out tomorrow. Again. Anyone else picking it up?

• 52 results
#1 Edited by believer258 (11558 posts) -

I never played Doom 3 when it launched but I did, over the summer, play through the Xbox version, which is an OK way to play the game but they had to cut out a fair bit of it in order to make it work. Still, I really enjoyed that version and now I want to play the full game on my PC. I'd buy the Doom pack on Steam for $25, but this one includes controller support and they've done some tweaks to the engine, and they've got that extra mission pack, so I'd rather pick this one up.

So, is there anyone other than me picking this up?

EDIT: I swear I searched for threads before making one. Apparently, made one at about the same time I did.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

Maybe eventually, but certainly not now. Too busy and not enough money.

#3 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2283 posts) -

I will. Not day one but sometime this month.

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm guessing the overall sentiment will be "No" as Doom is not a Nintendo game.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11558 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I don't follow your logic, mister.

#6 Edited by BeachThunder (11635 posts) -

Maybe later. I'm more interested in getting it for Doom 1 and 2 - so I'll probably pick it up when it's a million percent off on Steam. Anyway, I'm interested to know how this compares to Doom 3 with mods.

#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I tried to reinstall it back in September (I have the discs, and the expansion) and no matter what I tried or whose advice I got, the shit did not work. So no, fuck that game.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Ravenlight said:

Perhaps my commentary was too subtle. Allow me to overcompensate:

HAY GUISE ITS NOT LIEK IS MARIO LOL I BUY MARIO EFRY TIEM EBEN THO ITS SMAE GAEM11

#9 Posted by believer258 (11558 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@believer258 said:

@Ravenlight said:

HAY GUISE ITS NOT LIEK IS MARIO LOL I BUY MARIO EFRY TIEM EBEN THO ITS SMAE GAEM11

Oh.

All right, look, I was just asking who is and is not buying Doom 3 BFG, and I was already expecting a lot of "no's". But I didn't ask for any animosity to be introduced and I do ask that no one introduce it.

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (4751 posts) -

I was not aware of this. I may get it.  
I liked Doom 3- I still have the discs somewhere.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (4994 posts) -

Too much other stuff this month, but I wouldn't mind going through that game again at some point. I remember liking it when it came out. One of the first games to ever make me fear moving even a few steps forward.

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Ravenlight said:

@believer258 said:

@Ravenlight said:

Oh.

All right, look, I was just asking who is and is not buying Doom 3 BFG, and I was already expecting a lot of "no's". But I didn't ask for any animosity to be introduced and I do ask that no one introduce it.

Arg, I was too aggressive! I should have taken the middle ground and made a rational post about how while Doom is a beloved franchise nothing seems to have really been done to make it palatable to modern day gamers unlike what Nintendo seems consistently be able to do with their first-party franchises!

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Eventually. I don't have the money to right now, but since I never played the original (and have always wanted to I probably will pick it up.

#14 Posted by Bawlsz (84 posts) -

I was, but most likely allot later and cheaper, disappointed that it doesn't have co-op for Doom 3 even though it was in the original Xbox release.

#15 Posted by Sterling (2050 posts) -

I pre ordered it on Amazon since I had a bunch of credits built up. Ended up only paying like $6 for it. Should be here tomorrow.

#16 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I can see myself getting it for a low price on Steam. I'm in no hurry to play any of the games, though.

#17 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

i would if i could in a heartbeat. are those live arcade versions of doom & doom 2?

#18 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1223 posts) -

I preordered it on Amazon the moment I heard it was announced.

#19 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

No I already have it and controller support does not entice me one bit ... also dont care much for added content to be honest

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Ooooooh, I should. I won't. But I should.

#21 Posted by BurningStickMan (201 posts) -

Waiting for a review or a quick look first. Every preview I've read has been cagey about what exactly they changed in terms of graphics. It's usually just some mess like "it looks better!" Like Sikkmod better, or just some imperceptible texture changes? Also something about tweaking the lighting to make everything "brighter," which doesn't sound that appealing.

Still, achievements. And I won't turn down the extra mission. So I'll get it eventually. If they'd thrown in an XBLA version of Final Doom, I'd be on it prompt.

#22 Posted by Forcen (1797 posts) -

I already have all the doom games on steam, sure hope they give those who do a discount or a free copy or something.

#23 Posted by ShaggE (6290 posts) -

Hell yes. I really liked Doom 3, blemishes and all. A refined and expanded version is right up my alley.

#24 Edited by Itwastuesday (924 posts) -

Play Doom 3 again? Sounds like hell! ahahahaha

haaaa

no

#25 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

I will... not in the next couple of weeks, but I definitely will play this.

ALL. OF. THE. DOOM!!!!

#26 Posted by warpr (77 posts) -

Never played the original, so I'd like to get it eventually (I rarely purchase games at full price).

#27 Posted by ttocs (761 posts) -

I preordered it months ago on Amazon and forgot about it. Got an email that it shipped yesterday so I guess I'm getting it. I have way too many games to play though so I think it will be sitting for a while before I get a chance to play it.

#28 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

I'll be picking it up later today

#29 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

This was the only PC game I ever pirated, and the last I played besides WoW. Ah, memories.

#30 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I heard they made the game brighter and threw a lot more ammo into the levels. I'm kinda sceptical of these changes.

#31 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

It was a mediocre horror game and a downright depressing Doom game.

I doubt anything has changed, so no thank you

#32 Posted by falserelic (5270 posts) -

Yes I will buy Doom 3 BFG (Big Fucking Gun) Edition. I've played doom 3 on my PC and had a blast son. I was fucking demons up with aswome weaponry. I've gave them the truth but they couldn't handle it.

#33 Posted by RE_Player1 (7544 posts) -

I have it pre-ordered on PSN. I'm actually more excited to play Doom and Doom 2 on PS3 :P

#34 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I don't know if this has already been said or not but if you already have Doom 3 on Steam, you'll get a discount for it. I wasn't going to buy the pack because I already have Doom 3, but it ended up being $19.99.

#35 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

What changed about it? I'm hoping for a quick look.

#36 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I never played Doom 3 and find the pricing on Steam for it to be rather hilarious. I'll wait for it to show up there at a better pricepoint... I'm certainly not at a loss for first person shooters right now anyway.

#37 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Widescreen support, enhanced graphics, checkpoint system, flashlight and gun out at same time (one of the games biggest flaws at release). Comes with Doom 1 & 2, controller support, 3D tv support, etc.

#38 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@Jams said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Widescreen support, enhanced graphics, checkpoint system, flashlight and gun out at same time (one of the games biggest flaws at release). Comes with Doom 1 & 2, controller support, 3D tv support, etc.

Doom 1 and Doom 2 on XBox are the same XBLA versions that were released; on PS3 its the first time they are being released. Also has Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, and a new Lost Mission campaign.

The flashlight has a recharge rate similar to the one in HL2, and the flashlight illuminates mostly on the left half of the screen. Its rather annoying.

On PC the multiplayer is up to 8 players while on the consoles its only 4 players for some reason.

I've read they tweaked some of the levels a little bit, but so far all the character models look the same with a bit better textures.

#39 Posted by HH (595 posts) -

i loved Doom 3, loved the whole mars base setting, so yep.

#40 Posted by Hunkulese (2624 posts) -

@Jams said:

I don't know if this has already been said or not but if you already have Doom 3 on Steam, you'll get a discount for it. I wasn't going to buy the pack because I already have Doom 3, but it ended up being $19.99.

Bleh I wish I had known about that and hadn't been so hasty. I ended up preordering it on PSN because of the 3D. I know 3D is pretty much a failed gimmick at this point but I've only played 1 3D game since I bought my PS display a year ago. Oh well i guess $16 more than steam isn't that much worse than $6 more.

#41 Edited by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

This is out now on PSN for everyone who wants to make poor decisions like me.

#42 Posted by handlas (2636 posts) -

Well I'm disappointed to see that Doom 3 isn't sold stand alone. I would of bought it if so (obviously I'd assume it would be cheaper by itself). I could really careless about going back and playing Doom 1 and 2 so I don't want to buy it.

#43 Posted by believer258 (11558 posts) -

@handlas said:

Well I'm disappointed to see that Doom 3 isn't sold stand alone. I would of bought it if so (obviously I'd assume it would be cheaper by itself). I could really careless about going back and playing Doom 1 and 2 so I don't want to buy it.

You say that you could care less, meaning you care some amount, meaning you should play Doom 1 and 2 along with 3.

I know the level design of Doom 1 and 2 are both pretty outdated, but I still have so much fun with them every time I play them. I didn't actually get to play Doom 1 until I bought it on the Xbox Marketplace a few years ago and have played it often since.

#44 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I will eventually, I loved Doom 3. Hopefully its on sale for black friday or something.

#45 Posted by Darkstalker (671 posts) -

never finished doom 3. downloading now.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9579 posts) -

So I've downloaded it on the PS3 and it is nice to see it in 60 FPS. It looks really good to for such an old game. I think it looks better then most upscaled, enhanced older games. There is quite a bit of screen tearing though. I don't know if this is on the Xbox 360 version as well. The game is still the game. There are still monster closets. The shooting still doesn't feel great. But its got a cool atmosphere. The Doom 1 and 2 ports look to be a scaled down version of the XBLA ports though I haven't really messed with them much.

Also, anyone else notice that the Doom 3 menu noises are the menu noises from Rage?

#47 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

So I've downloaded it on the PS3 and it is nice to see it in 60 FPS. It looks really good to for such an old game. I think it looks better then most upscaled, enhanced older games. There is quite a bit of screen tearing though. I don't know if this is on the Xbox 360 version as well. The game is still the game. There are still monster closets. The shooting still doesn't feel great. But its got a cool atmosphere. The Doom 1 and 2 ports look to be a scaled down version of the XBLA ports though I haven't really messed with them much.

Also, anyone else notice that the Doom 3 menu noises are the menu noises from Rage?

In Rage, they used the same noises for the main character when he gets hurt and jumps from Doom 3, so its fitting they brought in sounds from Rage into Doom 3. I wouldn't think it would be hard to just make a few new sounds, but whatever.

#48 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1139 posts) -

I know the staff and most of the community like to shit on GameFly, but dude, this is exactly the sort of thing that GameFly is for.

#49 Posted by JasonR86 (9579 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@JasonR86 said:

In Rage, they used the same noises for the main character when he gets hurt and jumps from Doom 3, so its fitting they brought in sounds from Rage into Doom 3. I wouldn't think it would be hard to just make a few new sounds, but whatever.

It was weird because, at first, I felt kind of proud of myself, and a little nerdy, for recognizing the sound. Then I felt kind of bummed because it made the game feel a little cheaply made. It made me question how much money and effort went into this port and what other corners were cut. But, eh, it's a minor thing.

#50 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

It was weird because, at first, I felt kind of proud of myself, and a little nerdy, for recognizing the sound. Then I felt kind of bummed because it made the game feel a little cheaply made. It made me question how much money and effort went into this port and what other corners were cut. But, eh, it's a minor thing.

Considering how all the improvements the original Xbox version brought to make it play better on a console are completely absent in this made me think this was more of a PC re-release. It runs perfectly fine on console and everything, but the shitty controls you can't change, the fact you can't install it on Xbox 360 if you want to play Doom 1 and 2, you can't level select when you beat the game like the original Xbox version, the watered down multiplayer on consoles, you can't turn on subtitles, there's no zoom button, and holding down the run button no longer makes you turn faster.

I'm really glad I can play it on my Xbox and especially at such a nice framerate and its still a really good game, but man id could have done so much better. It feels a little bit sloppy. BUT, it could be a lot worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.