Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 03, 2004

Doom 3, a more story-focused remake of the original Doom, is a sci-fi first-person-shooter that was widely considered the most graphically advanced game available for its time.

When do I start having fun?

• 67 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought this and 007 Legends Tuesday. Lets just say I'm incredibly pissed off right now. I just fucking want ACIII and Black Ops II dammit!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Tarsier said:

doom 3 was always more of a horror game than an action shooter imo.

Cheap panel-slide and beam-in jumpscares repeating themselves for 20 hours is not all that horrifiying. I was rather disappointed by the game when it originally came out. What you can discern looks nice, but that's about it.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Mr_Misery said:

I bought this and 007 Legends Tuesday. Lets just say I'm incredibly pissed off right now. I just fucking want ACIII and Black Ops II dammit!

What is wrong with you?!

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Stete

You start having fun when you boot up Doom 1 or 2. Sad, but true really. Doom 1 + 2 are still fun to play to this day and Doom 3 was mediocre right out the gate, let alone 8 years later.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SlasherMan

You can't spell boredo(o)m without Doom!

I'll see myself out...

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By superfriend

@Fallen189 said:

When you play it the year it came out, instead of now. It was great when it came out. You just got too spoiled by modern stuff. Too bad!

That one. I loaded up the original Doom on Steam yesterday and I still kinda had a lot of fun with it. But then again, I always liked it a whole lot- and I HATE the fact that the new one is brighter and has always-on flashlight.

Seriously, the people who demanded always-on flashlight back then were fucking missing the point of the entire thing.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Aetheldod

When you stop thinking (like Jeff does) that all FPS should be an action filled COD clone with big huge arrows pointing you were to go , shooting against terrorist #3 , huge explotions , slow mo breaches and quick time events

Edit: Although I do agree that the weapons sound very weak :( my least liked aspect of the game

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@thabigred said:

I never played Doom 3 but from watching stream for a good hour, thinking about when this was released and what the game looks like now. It looks like more of a reaction to half life than a sequel to Doom II. Am I crazy? I'm really looking forward to picking this up when its on a steam sale.

There's a good amount of scenes that are very similar to Half-Life. You start in a science facility and walk around talking to people and then all hell breaks loose. The on-a-rail level from Half-Life is basically remade in Doom 3 and its a boring section in both. You go to another world in Half-Life called Xen while in Doom 3 you go to hell. The Resurrection of Evil expansion came out after HL2 and it brought in a gravity gun clone.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By Justin258

@SomeDeliCook said:

@thabigred said:

I never played Doom 3 but from watching stream for a good hour, thinking about when this was released and what the game looks like now. It looks like more of a reaction to half life than a sequel to Doom II. Am I crazy? I'm really looking forward to picking this up when its on a steam sale.

There's a good amount of scenes that are very similar to Half-Life. You start in a science facility and walk around talking to people and then all hell breaks loose. The on-a-rail level from Half-Life is basically remade in Doom 3 and its a boring section in both. You go to another world in Half-Life called Xen while in Doom 3 you go to hell. The Resurrection of Evil expansion came out after HL2 and it brought in a gravity gun clone.

But then, think about what Half-Life took from Doom 1. You're just a regular dude and suddenly a science experiment goes wrong and evil creatures start teleporting in from a different dimension.

Half-Life and Doom are way too similar when thinking about it.

CommanderZx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CommanderZx2

@EpicSteve:

Stop playing on easy?

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By kagato

@EpicSteve said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I don't think it's an action game, not to the same level as Doom and Doom 2 at least.

I can get that, but it's totally not a horror game. Or at least succeeds in that department if that's what id's intention was.

to be honest, i never really felt Doom 3 either, it was a well put together game but i was expecting something entirely more frightening or at least with action as fast and fluid as Doom and Doom 2. I never finished the game in the end, some people really love it but i have to believe if you are already board you are not one of them.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Sooty

Doom 3 was a bad game even when it first came out.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#63  Edited By Barrabas

@Raven10: I never really liked Serious Sam. Something about it was always really off putting. I didn't realize Hard Reset was this kind of shooter though. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

: The PC does not have to be the most dominant platform for super popular genres of games to thrive on it, so that argument doesn't make sense. Ex: MMO, MOBA (or whatever they call that genre now), RTS

Also, Unreal Championship 2 was on the original xbox and worked pretty well. That was an awesome game.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By emem
    @Barrabas said: 

@emem: The PC does not have to be the most dominant platform for super popular genres of games to thrive on it, so that argument doesn't make sense. Ex: MMO, MOBA (or whatever they call that genre now), RTS

Also, Unreal Championship 2 was on the original xbox and worked pretty well. That was an awesome game.

Ehh, we were talking about twitchy shooters that require fast and precise movement and aiming, right? You can't just change the subject man. :) 

Why do you think there are no more big shooters like Quake and UT out there? 

Edit: The only game left with a rocket jump is TF2, isn't that kinda sad?
    davosplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By davosplat

It has been a long time since I have played through the Doom 3 campaign...and now, 5+ years later, I am TOTALLY digging it! Let me be clear, I know Doom 3 has its fair share of issues (not a fan of the pre-baked Rage-esque lighting in BFG) but the game holds up well, for what it is. I am certainly appreciating Doom's influence on the Dead Space franchise. Of course Visceral Games took the Doom 3 style of monster closet game play and refined the shit out of it, but Dead Space CLEARLY owes a great deal to Id's design aesthetic. If you have not played Doom 3, I heartily recommend it based chiefly on its place in gaming history.

Besides, shooting the -BLAM- out of demons is always fun right?

fallen_rock2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By fallen_rock2

Much like classical music, you play this game because of its historical value, not to enjoy it in a traditional sense.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By TheHT

WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you waited 2 months and 1 week for that joke. you're welcome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.