Gamespot's Doom 2 Review

• 167 results
#1 Edited by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
#2 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
#3 Posted by Guerrilla_Mason (485 posts) -

Perhaps they are reviewing from the view point of 'today's gamer.' Yeah, if you play it side by side with a lot of today's game, those complaints are very valid. 

#4 Posted by Slax (962 posts) -

This is ridiculous. At the end of the review he tries to explain it, but really it seems like a dumb criticism .

#5 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Guerrilla_Mason: DOOM2 is one of "todays" games.
if you have never owned a PC......
#6 Posted by Milkman (17328 posts) -

#7 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@Guerrilla_Mason said:
" Perhaps they are reviewing from the view point of 'today's gamer.' Yeah, if you play it side by side with a lot of today's game, those complaints are very valid.  "
But its a review of a 16 year old game. I hate reviews of old games.
#8 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

GUYS!!!! SOMEBODY ON THE INTERNET HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

DEWNIDENWQIDEWQDOENDEJQNDRIMDXMWQQWPXEWOQXMENDWCM;ECDE';WCDENICDEWCDEWCNDEOWCD'WCDW',QDWQDED2913DN2O1IDEW[-DE MD32`ND9ND0E1NDE109DE1NDEDE9W8DE1PDNEWPDENWIOQDEWNQOIDEWQDNEWQDNE;WQDEWQNDEW;QODNEWQ

#9 Edited by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@Milkman said:

"

"
Neither funny or ironic. You just really wanted to post that picture eh?

try again
#10 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" GUYS!!!! SOMEBODY ON THE INTERNET HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    DEWNIDENWQIDEWQDOENDEJQNDRIMDXMWQQWPXEWOQXMENDWCM;ECDE';WCDENICDEWCDEWCNDEOWCD'WCDW',QDWQDED2913DN2O1IDEW[-DE MD32`ND9ND0E1NDE109DE1NDEDE9W8DE1PDNEWPDENWIOQDEWNQOIDEWQDNEWQDNE;WQDEWQNDEW;QODNEWQ "
It's not that. It's the reason. They're criticizing an old game for feeling old. No, they should not make Doom 2 a modern shooter. the whole point is to port it for nostalgia purposes.
#11 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

At first I was wondering if it was a joke myself then I saw who wrote the review and realized it was the reviewer that is the joke. 

#12 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

they just shouldnt review it:

theres 2 ways to look at it-

in its time period (innovative, incredible, well known)

today- (terrible graphics, controls, options)

#13 Edited by mikeeegeee (1575 posts) -
Well, if you think about it, maybe he's saying that a 16 year old game still rates a 6.0 by today's standards? So perhaps that's flattering?

Still, stupid, stupid criticisms. 

@ToadRunner said:

" they just shouldnt review it:  theres 2 ways to look at it-  in its time period (innovative, incredible, well known)  today- (terrible graphics, controls, options) "

^this exactly.
#14 Posted by Guerrilla_Mason (485 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @Guerrilla_Mason: DOOM2 is one of "todays" games. if you have never owned a PC...... "
You got me.  

@Jethuty said:
" @Guerrilla_Mason said:
" Perhaps they are reviewing from the view point of 'today's gamer.' Yeah, if you play it side by side with a lot of today's game, those complaints are very valid.  "
But its a review of a 16 year old game. I hate reviews of old games. "
But it was released last week again. So I'd imagine he was trying to review it for a person that hasn't played it. 
#15 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" GUYS!!!! SOMEBODY ON THE INTERNET HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    DEWNIDENWQIDEWQDOENDEJQNDRIMDXMWQQWPXEWOQXMENDWCM;ECDE';WCDENICDEWCDEWCNDEOWCD'WCDW',QDWQDED2913DN2O1IDEW[-DE MD32`ND9ND0E1NDE109DE1NDEDE9W8DE1PDNEWPDENWIOQDEWNQOIDEWQDNEWQDNE;WQDEWQNDEW;QODNEWQ "
see kids, this is why drugs are baaaad!

#16 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

Yeah, god knows every game review should be from the perspective of some dumb 19 year old kid with no perspective.

#17 Edited by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

It's not that. It's the reason. They're criticizing an old game for feeling old. No, they should not make Doom 2 a modern shooter. the whole point is to port it for nostalgia purposes. "
Maybe to YOU, but for people like me who have never played DooM, this review is just fine. I thought DooM looked cool, and after reading this review, I think I'll pass. 

Nostalgia should NEVER factor into a review, except for some extremely rare cases. If this guy gave it a 10 because he loved it when he was a kid, it would be an extremely shitty review for people like who who have never played the game 

.@Guerrilla_Mason said:
But it was released last week again. So I'd imagine he was trying to review it for a person that hasn't played it.  "

#18 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Who cares about Gamespot.

#19 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @DystopiaX said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

It's not that. It's the reason. They're criticizing an old game for feeling old. No, they should not make Doom 2 a modern shooter. the whole point is to port it for nostalgia purposes. "
Maybe to YOU, but for people like me who have never played DooM, this review is just fine. I thought DooM looked cool, and after reading this review, I think I'll pass.   Nostalgia should NEVER factor into a review, except for some extremely rare cases. If this guy gave it a 10 because he loved it when he was a kid, it would be an extremely shitty review for people like who who have never played the game. "
The whole point of porting it is that you're playing an old game. It's not playing an old game and thinking "is this as good as today's games?" because of course the answer is no. Doom 2 on XBLA is not supposed to be Doom 2 rebooted.
#20 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Jethuty:  Yea I can't say I agree with those statements made.  If anything Doom 2 XBLA would deserve a 6.0 for not having widescreen support and the horrible netcode, not the original content.  Might as well give the graphics a 1/10 for that matter.
#21 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

I don't see a problem. This isn't a review of Doom 2's original release. It's a review of Doom 2's XBLA release in 2010. Very different things. Reviews are supposed to tell people if a game is worth playing, and in 2010, a 6 sounds about right. 

Of course there are people who grew up with and love Doom (kinda like myself, although I was young). Those people have to realize this and just take the review with a grain of salt, knowing why the review exists in the first place.

#22 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @DystopiaX said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

Maybe to YOU, but for people like me who have never played DooM, this review is just fine. I thought DooM looked cool, and after reading this review, I think I'll pass. 

Nostalgia should NEVER factor into a review, except for some extremely rare cases. If this guy gave it a 10 because he loved it when he was a kid, it would be an extremely shitty review for people like who who have never played the game 

.@Guerrilla_Mason said:
But it was released last week again. So I'd imagine he was trying to review it for a person that hasn't played it.  "

"
im seriously worried about the state of your mental health.

No you did not hit the nail on the head there.

Point is, HE SHOULD NOT REVIEW DOOM 2.  Like he shouldnt review pac-man, tetris, quake and so on.

no point whatsoever in doing so.
#23 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @DystopiaX said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

Maybe to YOU, but for people like me who have never played DooM, this review is just fine. I thought DooM looked cool, and after reading this review, I think I'll pass.   Nostalgia should NEVER factor into a review, except for some extremely rare cases. If this guy gave it a 10 because he loved it when he was a kid, it would be an extremely shitty review for people like who who have never played the game. "
The whole point of porting it is that you're playing an old game. It's not playing an old game and thinking "is this as good as today's games?" because of course the answer is no. Doom 2 on XBLA is not supposed to be Doom 2 rebooted. "
How am I supposed to know? I've NEVER played DooM. Why would I want to play a shitty game just because it's old? It's all nostalgia, and this review does a good job of stating that.
#24 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Hate to break it to you, but that game dont play as great now as you remember it. Sure, this only really applys if your putting it up against modern games, which you can argue wether or not that right, but really, if you tried playing old game like goldeneye and such, theyre really not that great anymore outside of nostalgia.
#25 Edited by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@Jethuty said:

im seriously worried about the state of your mental health.  No you did not hit the nail on the head there.  Point is, HE SHOULD NOT REVIEW DOOM 2.  Like he shouldnt review pac-man, tetris, quake and so on.  no point whatsoever in doing so. "

Why would it be wrong to compare a game like Quake to modern FPS games to see how it holds up with todays standards? And if you're basically saying the game is shit compared to todays standard, then why release it? If it's for pure nostalgia, then you're going to play it anyway. Fuck the review, it's not affecting you. For people like me though, it would help.
#26 Edited by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

Exactly. They're not putting it out there to say it's the pinnacle of current gaming, and I think it's a little unfair to compare it to modern titles we'd consider to be such.

I feel like that whole review is just redundant. Who goes into Doom II expecting it to be up to today's standards? Who is this review written for? I get the feeling that people who don't know what Doom II is either won't care enough to get it, or they'll care enough to be aware of the fact that time has marched on. That only leaves people who do know what id's seminal shooter is all about and again this review is not for them.

Here's how reviews for old games should go:

Do you like old games? You do? Great, get this.
Oh, you don't? Well, then don't get this!
#27 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -

What is with all of the fucking pictures in this thread, you are not witty or clever. And this game should not be reviewed. People who want to play it are ones that played it years ago, plain and simple, like me!

#28 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1085 posts) -
@Atomasist said:
" Who cares about Gamespot. "
Ah ha, we have a winner!
#29 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

Ok, so I've looked around and found that they originally gave the game a score of 8.5. So, by extrapolating; in 48 years time, if they do another rerelease, the game will actually be given a negative score. This will be the first time in GameSpot history that a game will have been given a negative score (not even Big Rigs got a negative score!).

#30 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" @DystopiaX said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

Exactly. They're not putting it out there to say it's the pinnacle of current gaming, and I think it's a little unfair to compare it to modern titles we'd consider to be such.

I feel like that whole review is just redundant. Who goes into Doom II expecting it to be up to today's standards? Who is this review written for? I get the feeling that people who don't know what Doom II is either won't care enough to get it, or they'll care enough to be aware of the fact that time has marched on. That only leaves people who do know what id's seminal shooter is all about and again this review is not for them.  Here's how reviews for old games should go:  Do you like old games? You do? Great, get this. Oh, you don't? Well, then don't get this! "
Or, this game does not port well. even if you like this game, don't get this. 
Also, the reviewer is a woman.
#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

As someone who didn't get to experience the game in it's appropriate era... DOOM 2 SUUUUUUUUUUCKSSSsssSSSsssSSSsss...!!

#32 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @Jethuty:  Yea I can't say I agree with those statements made.  If anything Doom 2 XBLA would deserve a 6.0 for not having widescreen support and the horrible netcode, not the original content.  Might as well give the graphics a 1/10 for that matter. "
hey sure, give the "port" a 5.0 for not featuring online multiplayer or splitscreen, or for having bad framerate. Thats totally fine, because you are reviewing the quality of the port and so on.

Once you start reviewing the game itself, you are a moron.
#33 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -
@DystopiaX:  Does it matter that the reviewer is a woman?
#34 Posted by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I don't see a problem. This isn't a review of Doom 2's original release. It's a review of Doom 2's XBLA release in 2010. Very different things. Reviews are supposed to tell people if a game is worth playing, and in 2010, a 6 sounds about right.  Of course there are people who grew up with and love Doom (kinda like myself, although I was young). Those people have to realize this and just take the review with a grain of salt, knowing why the review exists in the first place. "
Actually, you're right there. I forgot that this had that whole extra bunch of levels, so I guess a 2010 review of this is valid. Still, I'd wager the kind of person that's buying this to play the new hardcore shit knows what they're in for, and that still kinda makes me think the whole review is pointless.
#35 Posted by Gahathat (161 posts) -

Faulting Doom II for its antiquated feel is silly. To someone who doesn't play modern games, the movement and aiming wouldn't feel "dated." 

#36 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
I'm with this guy.
#37 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

This should apply to other media as well . 

Old movies suck because they're old? Casablanca? Citizen Kane? Fuck that noise we have Transformers 2 and The Spy Next Door! 
Bach? Chopin? fuck'em I'm busy listening to Linkin Park and Lady Gaga. 

#38 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:

im seriously worried about the state of your mental health.  No you did not hit the nail on the head there.  Point is, HE SHOULD NOT REVIEW DOOM 2.  Like he shouldnt review pac-man, tetris, quake and so on.  no point whatsoever in doing so. "

Why would it be wrong to compare a game like Quake to modern FPS games to see how it holds up with todays standards? And if you're basically saying the game is shit compared to todays standard, then why release it? If it's for pure nostalgia, then you're going to play it anyway. Fuck the review, it's not affecting you. For people like me though, it would help. "
If you dont know about Doom today, you shouldnt be on this site.

Or on the internet for that manner.
#39 Posted by august (3866 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:

Why would it be wrong to compare a game like Quake to modern FPS games to see how it holds up with todays standards? And if you're basically saying the game is shit compared to todays standard, then why release it? If it's for pure nostalgia, then you're going to play it anyway. Fuck the review, it's not affecting you. For people like me though, it would help. "
Maybe that the game is really old might be a hint that the game is really old. 

Hell, I dunno.
#40 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@Jethuty said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:

If you dont know about Doom today, you shouldnt be on this site.  Or on the internet for that manner. "
I see how it is. If I say something that makes a bit of sense, you'll just come back with (what you think is) a witty remark. 

That is all I have to say. I'm done.
#41 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" What is with all of the fucking pictures in this thread, you are not witty or clever. And this game should not be reviewed. People who want to play it are ones that played it years ago, plain and simple, like me! "
thank you. 

@Raven_Sword said:
" Hate to break it to you, but that game dont play as great now as you remember it. Sure, this only really applys if your putting it up against modern games, which you can argue wether or not that right, but really, if you tried playing old game like goldeneye and such, theyre really not that great anymore outside of nostalgia. "
thank you P. Diddy obivious
#42 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@august said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:

Maybe that the game is really old might be a hint that the game is really old.  Hell, I dunno. "
Just because it's old doesn't mean it's dated... 

Halo: CE is old, and I think it holds up very well.
#43 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -
@crono11 said:
" @DystopiaX:  Does it matter that the reviewer is a woman? "
No, I just noticed that someone on this thread called her a him or a man or something and just threw that in there.
#44 Posted by yinstarrunner (1243 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:   You should probably play Doom.  You owe it to yourself as a gamer.  It's definitely one of those games everyone should experience, if not just to enjoy it, but to also really learn to appreciate what it did for gaming as a whole.
#45 Posted by Milkman (17328 posts) -
@Jethuty:  A little.
#46 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:

If you dont know about Doom today, you shouldnt be on this site.  Or on the internet for that manner. "
I see how it is. If I say something that makes a bit of sense, you'll just come back with (what you think is) a witty remark.   That is all I have to say. I'm done. "
Who said that what you said makes sense? 
#47 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Jethuty said:

I see how it is. If I say something that makes a bit of sense, you'll just come back with (what you think is) a witty remark.   That is all I have to say. I'm done. "
Mate, you are not making any sense, your argument is seriously invalid and you are retarded.

but im glad youre done
#48 Posted by bhhawks78 (1208 posts) -
@Jethuty said:
" @Guerrilla_Mason said:
Deal with it, games that were great when released, being rereleased on today's consoles often play like shit, and if you don't have nostalgia for the game it would be much lower than a 6.
#49 Posted by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -
@themangalist said:
" @DystopiaX:   ok. SHIT.  seriously, we should just discuss if this reviewer is a man or woman. I really mean it. i can't tell. The name is femal-ish, but then from the blog's videos, it's a dude talking. or am i having hallucinations?  i just want to say, this is a question that has bugged me forever. please. someone tell me! "
wait. Carolyn is a dude? 
wtf. 
w.t.f.
#50 Posted by themangalist (1748 posts) -

@DystopiaX: 

ok. SHIT.

seriously, we should just discuss if this reviewer is a man or woman.
I really mean it.
i can't tell. The name is femal-ish, but then from the blog's videos, it's a dude talking.
or am i having hallucinations?

i just want to say, this is a question that has bugged me forever.
please. someone tell me! OR ELSE I'LL GO CRAZYY!!!!11!1!!1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.