The music of doom 2 is strangely familiar...

#1 Posted by pieman32 (163 posts) -

So I was watching a play through of doom 2 and I started noticing that the music resembles famous metal bands music. Like this here:

The music in there is obviously This Love by Pantera. Is this something that was intended, because there is another level that sounded like it had south of heaven by slayer. Im new to this, so can someone clarify this for me plz. :P

#2 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

My god, the memories..  
And yeah you're right, that IS "This Love." Crazy ;o  When I played it I was like 7 so I wasn't familiar with the music back then. 

You're getting followed just for showing me an entire chapter of my childhood :P

#3 Posted by freewilly5 (64 posts) -

Hey, I don't mean to insult or anything, but I thought this was really common knowledge. Yes Doom took major inspiration in it's music from metal bands of the time.

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

They stole a lot of music   

#5 Posted by ShaggE (6346 posts) -

Yep, this is well known. Them Bones by Alice In Chains was the one that I noticed first.

#6 Posted by Wampa1 (627 posts) -

Do the bands not know about it? Just surprised no one tried to sue over it back when Doom was at it's height.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10269 posts) -

This may be the case however... I can't help but like the MIDI metal more... every time. I think the metal scene has been shitty for almost 25 years though, so hey.

#8 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2229 posts) -

The midi songs sound better to me because certain parts were altered and they just sound better as a result.

Not to mention its midi in the first place

#9 Edited by fisk0 (3873 posts) -

Every song by Bobby Prince for Doom, Blake Stone, Duke Nukem and so on were extremely inspired by the popular metal music of the time or downright ripoffs of it. The music on the first level of Blake Stone is blatantly Guns 'n Roses "Welcome to the jungle". The song is even named jungle.imf in the game's data files. 
Here is a list of the inspirations for some of the music from Doom 1 and 2: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_music and http://forums.newdoom.com/archive/index.php/t-24895.html

#10 Posted by pieman32 (163 posts) -

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

#11 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

Yeah dude, you didn't know? Slayer and Metallica and Pantera all up in Doom 1 and 2.

#12 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@MikkaQ said:

I think the metal scene has been shitty for almost 25 years though, so hey.

You're looking at the wrong genres.
#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

fuck's "midi" ?

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10269 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@MikkaQ said:

You're looking at the wrong genres.

Nope, even the ones that are all serious and try to be good music, and are progressive or whatever. I have a lot of metal head friends, but nothing captures the fun and discovery of classic metal for me. They were treading new ground and it just sounds fresher to me.

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@MikkaQ said:

Nope, even the ones that are all serious and try to be good music, and are progressive or whatever. I have a lot of metal head friends [...]

Okay, so you don't know what you're talking about. Gotcha.
#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10269 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@MikkaQ said:

Nope, even the ones that are all serious and try to be good music, and are progressive or whatever. I have a lot of metal head friends [...]

Right because making assumptions about people on the internet certainly demonstrates your deep knowledge of the universe.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Napalm said:

@MikkaQ said:

Right because making assumptions about people on the internet certainly demonstrates your deep knowledge of the universe.

I think you're both jerks and probably like anime. Do I win this one?

#18 Posted by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

A valid perspective. You might wanna listen to a record called Awaken the Guardian, if you haven't already.

#19 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Napalm said:

@MikkaQ said:

While your opinion is your opinion, I am well within my right to critique and challenge that, especially when you're painting with very broad strokes in a way that makes you sound like you truly believe yourself. Disregarding the fact that you are ostensibly challenging all heavy metal made between 1986 and 2011, your opinion is both ignorant and factually wrong because you can, objectively, point to any number of subgenres and see the strides made with various bands, and in your designated time period, [twenty-five years], see the rise of at least half a dozen new subgenres that are well established at this point.

The 2000s have been an amazing melting pot of heavy metal, especially old bands returning from the dead, (Razor, Forbidden, Viking, Sacrifice), and new bands bringing along new genres, or returning roots. If metal isn't your thing, just say so before casting down half of the history within one genre of music.

Or talk out of your ass less.

@Catarrhal said:

@MikkaQ said:

A valid perspective. You might wanna listen to a record called Awaken the Guardian, if you haven't already.

Personally, even though you weren't speaking to me, haven't heard Fates Warning long enough to form an opinion.

Also to MikkaQ, listen to a little beast called Ironbound. You won't regret it.

#20 Edited by buzz_clik (6928 posts) -

Yeah, I always think of Pantera's "Mouth For War" when I think of Doom music.

EDIT: Eep! Wrong version. Fixed!

#21 Edited by Brodehouse (9636 posts) -

I used to be into metal. Now I listen to triphop and electropop. Yeah, I don't know either. Went from Blind Guardian and Nevermore to Yelle and Portishead.

#22 Posted by buzz_clik (6928 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I used to be into metal. Now I listen to triphop and electropop. Yeah, I don't know either. Went from Blind Guardian and Nevermore to Yelle and Portishead.

I still listen to everything. Some days I'm in a metal mood, some days it's DnB, others hip/trip hop and still others straight up chart pop. The only thing I've never really listened to is country and/or western.

#23 Posted by fisk0 (3873 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

@Brodehouse said:

I still listen to everything. Some days I'm in a metal mood, some days it's DnB, others hip/trip hop and still others straight up chart pop. The only thing I've never really listened to is country and/or western.

A lot of metal bands made that transition too, I don't think the genres are as separated as you'd assume. A lot of electronic music has a similar tone/atmosphere as the metal at least I was into a bunch (mainly black and doom metal). Norway arguably was one of the most important countries to that scene, and a bunch of the norwegian black and doom metal bands, or members thereof went on to make electronic music. Ulver started doing a lot of trip-hop style stuff in the late 90's, and Attila Csihar of Mayhem, Tormentor, Emperor etc have been involved in a several EBM and D'n'B influenced bands, like Plasma Pool and Aborym, and then the more noise/drone styled Sunn o))). Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Hypochrisy, Anathema/Antimatter, Deathspell Omega, Ildjarn, Burzum and many others also had similar transitions into electronic music.

#24 Posted by themisfit138 (25 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

They stole a lot of music

The Metallica song in this video labeled "Master of Puppets" is actual "The Call of Ktulu."

#25 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

This was all done back in a time where artists only wanted to get their music out there and didn't care about suing or getting revenge for someone putting their song elsewhere.

#26 Edited by buzz_clik (6928 posts) -

@fisk0: Yeah, I've always known that my love of the darker side of electronica springs from all the metal and industrial music I listened to as a teenager. Even back then, though, I'd be listening to Pantera and Public Enemy in the same day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.