Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom II: Hell on Earth

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 10, 1994

After the events of Doom, Hell has found its way to Earth. The last living scientists develop a plan to evacuate what's remaining of the human race with enormous space ships. Unfortunately, the demons have taken control of the only spaceport, and it's up to the nameless space marine to take it back.

Uninteresting S#!% #2

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187
    IN THIS BLOG: 

Hey, folks!  The blog is a bit late this weekend.  In case you didn't know, it's summer...and here in Texas, that means there's grills firing up everywhere and the smell of cooked animal flesh is filling the air.  Barbeque is something of a tradition down here, but beyond that, it's a time of reconnecting with friends and family.  That's something that's been lacking in the last few months, so changing up the pace a bit has been really nice.  That doesn't mean that video games have been neglected, so read on!!! 

U Can't Honestly Say From An Objective Sense That Doom Is Better Than...Lets Say Halo 

That's a snippet of a message I received in my inbox from kishan6.  This is not a callout to talk shit.  On the contrary, I am glad that someone on this site is able to send a message that shows a level of intelligence (but you should work on your spelling a tad bit).  He brought up a lot of great points. 

In case you haven't noticed, Doom II has landed on Xbox Live Arcade.  There's been some recent shitstorms started about the Gamespot review for the game, as well as people asking "is the game still good?".  This recent message that kishan6 sent me echoes a lot of the replies I've been seeing:  shooters have advanced to the point that the functionality and fundamentalism of Doom II is not only obsolete, but that it makes it a bad game. 

I can honestly say from an objective sense that I wouldn't try to compare Doom and Halo beyond the fact that both are first-person shooter games.  The design philosophies behind each are drastically different. 

Cyberdemon - he STILL fucking wrecks!
    Doom is focused on single player, whereas Halo is focused on multiplayer.  Doom is focused on speed, while Halo is focused on tactical movement.  Where Doom is about the horror of overwhelming numbers of enemies beating the shit out of you, Halo is about having a concentrated situation that you can attack from multiple angles.  Doom was designed at a time when trackballs were popular and engines didn't support the idea of looking up or down, while Halo was developed at a time that FPS games on consoles weren't a popular idea.

Both are vastly different, so trying to compare the two is impossible on anything more than a rudimentary level of "hey, both of these feature a character holding a gun and shooting it in a first person camera perspective." 

Just because a game was released some 15 years ago, that does not mean that it doesn't hold up on its own merits.  Doom II is "the granddaddy of all shooters" for a reason, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game AT ALL. 

Personally, I still think that Doom II is infinitely better than Half-Life or Halo, Call of Duty or even Quake.  There is a visceral necessity to that game which none have been able to replicate since for me.  Yes, I have a fanboy side when it comes to Doom.  I have fond memories from when my Uncle Joe FINALLY built a computer powerful enough to run Doom II, and I would go over to play it.  I mean, I'm so die-hard about Doom that I bought a 32X for my Genesis just to play the 32X version of the game!!!  HOWEVER, I recently got Doom II on XBLA just to see how it holds up, especially on a console.  I wasn't playing it for fanboyish necessity - I was playing it to see if it was still as good as it was 15 years ago.  It is.  It has aged well, and even the art assets for that game...despite their pixelation...are awesome.  The sound effects, the soundtrack, the atmosphere, the lighting, everything in that game is STILL good. 

It may not be Call of Duty or Halo or some of this other shit that's out nowadays, but none of those games try to be Doom...and Doom doesn't try to be those games.  It is simply Doom II, and it proves still why it is the granddaddy of all shooters. 

Until next time, folks...piece.    
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187
    IN THIS BLOG: 

Hey, folks!  The blog is a bit late this weekend.  In case you didn't know, it's summer...and here in Texas, that means there's grills firing up everywhere and the smell of cooked animal flesh is filling the air.  Barbeque is something of a tradition down here, but beyond that, it's a time of reconnecting with friends and family.  That's something that's been lacking in the last few months, so changing up the pace a bit has been really nice.  That doesn't mean that video games have been neglected, so read on!!! 

U Can't Honestly Say From An Objective Sense That Doom Is Better Than...Lets Say Halo 

That's a snippet of a message I received in my inbox from kishan6.  This is not a callout to talk shit.  On the contrary, I am glad that someone on this site is able to send a message that shows a level of intelligence (but you should work on your spelling a tad bit).  He brought up a lot of great points. 

In case you haven't noticed, Doom II has landed on Xbox Live Arcade.  There's been some recent shitstorms started about the Gamespot review for the game, as well as people asking "is the game still good?".  This recent message that kishan6 sent me echoes a lot of the replies I've been seeing:  shooters have advanced to the point that the functionality and fundamentalism of Doom II is not only obsolete, but that it makes it a bad game. 

I can honestly say from an objective sense that I wouldn't try to compare Doom and Halo beyond the fact that both are first-person shooter games.  The design philosophies behind each are drastically different. 

Doom is focused on single player, whereas Halo is focused on multiplayer.  Doom is focused on speed, while Halo is focused on tactical movement.  Where Doom is about the horror of overwhelming numbers of enemies beating the shit out of you, Halo is about having a concentrated situation that you can attack from multiple angles.  Doom was designed at a time when trackballs were popular and engines didn't support the idea of looking up or down, while Halo was developed at a time that FPS games on consoles weren't a popular idea.

Both are vastly different, so trying to compare the two is impossible on anything more than a rudimentary level of "hey, both of these feature a character holding a gun and shooting it in a first person camera perspective." 

Just because a game was released some 15 years ago, that does not mean that it doesn't hold up on its own merits.  Doom II is "the granddaddy of all shooters" for a reason, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game AT ALL. 

Personally, I still think that Doom II is infinitely better than Half-Life or Halo, Call of Duty or even Quake.  There is a visceral necessity to that game which none have been able to replicate since for me.  Yes, I have a fanboy side when it comes to Doom.  I have fond memories from when my Uncle Joe FINALLY built a computer powerful enough to run Doom II, and I would go over to play it.  I mean, I'm so die-hard about Doom that I bought a 32X for my Genesis just to play the 32X version of the game!!!  HOWEVER, I recently got Doom II on XBLA just to see how it holds up, especially on a console.  I wasn't playing it for fanboyish necessity - I was playing it to see if it was still as good as it was 15 years ago.  It is.  It has aged well, and even the art assets for that game...despite their pixelation...are awesome.  The sound effects, the soundtrack, the atmosphere, the lighting, everything in that game is STILL good. 

It may not be Call of Duty or Halo or some of this other shit that's out nowadays, but none of those games try to be Doom...and Doom doesn't try to be those games.  It is simply Doom II, and it proves still why it is the granddaddy of all shooters. 

Until next time, folks...piece.    
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jambones

Being from the Doom 2 era myself I can relate. While it does deserve its dues, I think the problem with Doom 1 & 2 is that it's really not relevant to many gamers. The game had aged, albeit gracefully, and it has just been usurped by newer shooters with controls that are a little more intuitive and natural. I have to admit that I have a hard time getting adjusted to the old Doom style of control.

THat being said I cannot imagine any FPSs having the same weight and impact years down the road as Doom 2 has now.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I never played Doom 1 or 2. I never played Quake either. I've seen it played enough to know what it's all about. The Quick Look did nothing for me, just don't see it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By buzz_clik

Having dipped into the debate in the relative GS-related thread, I've probably said enough about this issue. Guess what? It's not going to stop me posting more here.

I agree with most of what you're saying. Doom II and Halo (or any more contemporary FPS) probably shouldn't be compared on the same-fruit scale. One came from an age where twitch response times were required; the other, while still requiring rapid decision making and quick movement, has an altogether more deliberate method to it. Similarly, I can happily go back and play the aging Tetris, even though Picross 3D is the shiny new duck's nuts.

Do I think that Doom II would fly as a new product / game concept in this day and age? Well, there's a market for it, but I don't think it should be the benchmark. But in a world of me-too FPS games, it's still refreshing to have the option for a hardcore shooter that holds up as something that tests a gamer's reflexes to the limit. There's still nothing like the first two Doom games for me (Serious Sam didn't have the same all round level of cohesive awesomeness) and for that they still deserve to be checked out by fans of the genre who have not experienced them.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I agree with Doom II being able to stand on its own merits even today. I picked it up on XBLA and have had an awesome time so far (though I've slowed down a bit now that I've got the armor unlock, and now that I seem to have run out of ammo for the most part on the main campaign on Ultra Violent).

I have to say, though, the first Halo really was an awesome experience. For whatever reason that game just hit me right, playing through it with my brother. The story had me just as immersed as Doom's chaotic, demonic levels did.

Good read!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
    @MightyMayorMike: LOL  Once you hit the city levels, ammo doesn't matter.  Getting through the level as quick as possible matters.  You will rarely have 100% kills, and there are even some levels where you won't be supplied with enough ammo to kill everything. 

I ran level 12 in 43 seconds earlier today on Ultra-Violent, and even then, that was balls-ass rough.  Level 13 was giving me trouble because of some of the Cacodemons blocking my way while I was trying to make a sprint run to one of the first doors to get the blue keycard.  I got it down eventually, though. 

I would suggest checking out the speed runs that eliran has on YouTube.  He gives a good layout of the paths you need to take in order to complete the levels with minimal effort.  Mind you, he's playing through those on a lower difficulty I believe...and he's also doing it on PC.  On Ultra-Violence, you will probably need to at least roll with a shotty and kill a few things here and there.  Otherwise, it's about survival, not killing everything.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As someone without nostalgia for it (being that my first console was the N64), I do think that Doom holds up, at least on most levels. But you are right in that they really don't make FPS games in the direct style of Doom (well, I guess Serious Sam and Painkiller count to some degree) nowadays, and the genre is so diverse at this point it's objectively hard to compare Call of Duty and Halo together despite them both being First Person Shooters with a strong Multiplayer element.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.