Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Any info on Doom 4?

FortySixandTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is there any new info on Doom 4?

I know it's considered "the worst production for a video game of all time" but what's weird is that Brutal Doom uses the same code from Doom II (1994) and it was a successful release.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I know it's considered "the worst production for a video game of all time" but what's weird is that Brutal Doom uses the same code from Doom II (1994) and it was a successful release.

At this point I'm starting to wonder how relevant Doom is anymore. Despite all the naysayers, I think Rage had a lot of interesting things going for it. It was by far the best post apocalyptic representation of the world I've seen this whole generation - if Fallout 3 had the world and art style that Rage did maybe that game would be something.. well, no because the writing would still be God-awful, but at least the world wouldn't look similarly bad.

Either way, I feel that if Doom 4 comes out and it's a simple corridor shooter then that will definitely be a huge step back for Id. They tried something new with Rage: a semi open world with quests and upgrades. That was definitely a step in the right direction when most games are opening up rather than streamlining their experiences. Now if only they can make the Rage engine work properly without the constant texture loads, hire some real writers and add in quest variety then Doom 4 could be a 'hell' of a game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Okay, here's my pitch: Imagine Hard Reset, but with demons.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who said its "the worst production for a video game of all time"? Because that title probably belongs to Duke Nukem Forever, or something like Too Human.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The problem with id is that they never successfully replaced John Romero. Talk shit all you want about the guy, but he was a major component in the early id games being as successful as they were. After he left the quality started dropping. People probably think I'm crazy but I'm willing to believe that Quake 2 and 3 worked solely because of momentum. It wasn't until Doom 3 (for as good as it was, it lacked the id magic) that we started really seeing the cracks.

FortySixandTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FortySixandTwo

@humanity: Doom 4 doesn't need to be other than a space marine killing demons from hell.

I personally think Doom 3's expansion pack, "Resurrection of Evil" which added the double barrel shotgun and allowed you into more hell levels, that Doom 3 would have been better received by fans if it wasn't an expansion.

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Doom 4 doesn't need to be other than a space marine killing demons from hell.

I personally think Doom 3's expansion pack, "Resurrection of Evil" which added the double barrel shotgun and allowed you into more hell levels, that Doom 3 would have been better received by fans if it wasn't an expansion.

Loading Video...

Who the hell is that nerd talking ab.. oh.. dear lord..

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@humanity: He's certainly come a long way...

Loading Video...

I mean, he doesn't quite look like a human/gerbil hybrid anymore :P

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

No, actually I think most people have progressed beyond the point where "Space Marine shoots demons in Hell, because Hell demons" isn't enough anymore.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

...and a million times better.

@humanity said:

@fortysixandtwo said:

At this point I'm starting to wonder how relevant Doom is anymore. Despite all the naysayers, I think Rage had a lot of interesting things going for it. It was by far the best post apocalyptic representation of the world I've seen this whole generation - if Fallout 3 had the world and art style that Rage did maybe that game would be something.. well, no because the writing would still be God-awful, but at least the world wouldn't look similarly bad.

Either way, I feel that if Doom 4 comes out and it's a simple corridor shooter then that will definitely be a huge step back for Id. They tried something new with Rage: a semi open world with quests and upgrades. That was definitely a step in the right direction when most games are opening up rather than streamlining their experiences. Now if only they can make the Rage engine work properly without the constant texture loads, hire some real writers and add in quest variety then Doom 4 could be a 'hell' of a game.

I totally agree with this. A lot of people complain about Rage because it's boring. They do have plenty of ground to stand on, in that Rage's writing never goes anywhere and its world lacks depth. But the mechanics and ideas behind that game are rock-solid. A second Rage game that decided to apply Zelda to a shooter formula wouldn't be so far off from the first game. Find a good writer and you're golden for a unique and interesting shooter. Alternatively, I could see Doom 4 doing the same thing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

@fortysixandtwo said:

Loading Video...

Who the hell is that nerd talking ab.. oh.. dear lord..

He's not as awkward here as in some of his earlier on camera Gamepost stuff, but he isn't quite at the comfort level he seems to have on camera now either.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@beachthunder said:

I take that to mean that you didn't like Hard Reset?

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By razkazz

It's madness that Quake III: Arena is played competitively to this day and yet there's never been a true Arena sequel. Now that Carmack has moved on it all seems pretty uncertain but I'd rather they start milking these franchises than let them die quietly.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Doom 4 is a malicious rumor that John Romero made up 8 years ago. I am not convinced it actually exists.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@beachthunder said:

I take that to mean that you didn't like Hard Reset?

I love the idea behind Hard Reset but actually playing it wasn't a ton of fun for me. There was little more method to the madness than "run backwards and shoot" and occasionally "run sideways from those dudes that charge at you", and even then it felt like someone put the decimal in the movement speed calculations too far to the left. Dodging those guys that charge at you sometimes feels impossible because you move too slow.

People seem to forget that there was more to Doom than circle strafing and running at 90 miles per hour. You also had to know the ins and outs of each weapon, manage ammo, learn how to keep your health high, and you had to think on your feet with all of these things in mind. No, it's not a complex formula, but it does keep you on your toes. I never felt like Hard Reset was keeping me "on my toes". or on anything really except for the left mouse button and the S key.

That's harsh, Hard Reset wasn't that bad. Personally, though, I just didn't think it was all that good either. I got to some giant boss and just couldn't get myself to move on anymore. Something like Rage seems to carry on what Doom did more than Hard Reset, anyway.

Incidentally, I wasn't a big fan of painkiller for largely the same reasons. OK, yeah, the guns are awesome, but you're still not doing much more than circle strafing or running backwards from a billion similar-looking enemies. It put me to sleep. Doom 3 did more with flashing light sources and two enemies than Painkiller and Hard Reset could do with a thousand enemies.

I haven't really played enough of Serious Sam to know if I have the same complaints with it.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry, Pavlovian response to Doom 4.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, with Carmack officially gone I would hope that they'd have to show something soon. To maintain that they're a company that's working on something. Anything.

I liked Rage and Doom 3, and I legitimately want to be excited about Doom 4.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird how nobody remembers how bad the level design was in Doom, and how it got even more fucked in Doom II. Beyond the first episode anyway. Go back and play those games, and you'll realize the challenge is rarely (unless you crank the difficulty all the way up) the enemies you face, but just finding where the fuck the game wants you to go. Having said that, I still love the games. Maybe partially out of nostalgia, and partially because whether it's messy level design or not, at least it's a shooter that requires you to think when you play it.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

@hatking said:

It's weird how nobody remembers how bad the level design was in Doom, and how it got even more fucked in Doom II. Beyond the first episode anyway. Go back and play those games, and you'll realize the challenge is rarely (unless you crank the difficulty all the way up) the enemies you face, but just finding where the fuck the game wants you to go. Having said that, I still love the games. Maybe partially out of nostalgia, and partially because whether it's messy level design or not, at least it's a shooter that requires you to think when you play it.

The later Doom levels do get hard to navigate, but try playing marathon 2: durandal. Holy. Shit.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vuud

Rage was a disappointment, Carmack is gone, I think id is in total disarray at the moment. And Doom 4 is in development hell, likely to be declared vaporware. It's a shame really, I thought Rage was great right up until the ending. I just doubt id is going to recover.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hatking said:

It's weird how nobody remembers how bad the level design was in Doom, and how it got even more fucked in Doom II. Beyond the first episode anyway. Go back and play those games, and you'll realize the challenge is rarely (unless you crank the difficulty all the way up) the enemies you face, but just finding where the fuck the game wants you to go.

This is pretty much all shooters before the modern era. I had this idea and have seen it proven at times, but recently I went back and played Star Wars: Jedi Outcast which is one of my all time favorite games, and wow, got immediately so lost even on the first level. The layouts were so confusing, very obtuse lock systems and controls around this base, the game did absolutely nothing to guide you.

It's pretty unbelievable coming from a modern perspective. Just how it used to be.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See you at QuakeCon 2014!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@believer258 said:

I haven't really played enough of Serious Sam to know if I have the same complaints with it.

If you aren't interested in back pedaling and circle strafing tons of enemies than Serious Sam isn't for you. I didn't play Hard Reset but from what I saw the main difference seemed to be the levels aren't as open as Serious Sam's.

If Doom 4 played that way I would love it. I hope they'd go fast paced action with a new one.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quake 1 is the best game to ever be made followed by Quake 3 and then you will find Doom nestled in that section of "best games of all time" as well.

The fact there isn't a Quake 3 Arena 2013 is really upsetting and no Quake or Doom in 2013 when we get games which were Quake mods still thriving (Team Fortress) it is really hard to be a FPS PC gamer watching the years pass and no good games.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

what's Raven Software up to? Machine Games is working on Wolfenstein, it's a safe bet it's something that Bathesda is just passing along in order to get it done. If Carmack says that he left because he can't provide any work into the next game which is probably Doom 4 then maybe that because they are doing one of those multiple studios working on one game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@crithon said:

what's Raven Software up to? Machine Games is working on Wolfenstein, it's a safe bet it's something that Bathesda is just passing along in order to get it done. If Carmack says that he left because he can't provide any work into the next game which is probably Doom 4 then maybe that because they are doing one of those multiple studios working on one game.

Raven's been pulled into the collective of developers that assist Infinity Ward with their Call of Duty titles since the current IW is insufficient to get the job done by themselves.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@hailinel: oooookay that makes sense. But yeah, Raven's been best buds with Id since Heretic days. Really went out there with Quake 4 and Wolfenstein 2009 game. It's hard for me to imagine Id right not finishing Doom 4, I'd imagine this is one of those situations when Bethesda is calling the shots in a multiple studios development.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Humanity

From a business perspective, what kind of incentive is there to release a Doom 4? We are slowly moving into this era where younger gamers only know Doom by name and if they tried to play it they'd probably hate it - which is understandable because as much as I was floored by Doom when it first came out on PC, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to stomach it today.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

If you aren't interested in back pedaling and circle strafing tons of enemies than Serious Sam isn't for you. I didn't play Hard Reset but from what I saw the main difference seemed to be the levels aren't as open as Serious Sam's.

If Doom 4 played that way I would love it. I hope they'd go fast paced action with a new one.

That fast paced action is fine, just make it more varied and interesting than freaking Hard Reset.

@humanity said:

From a business perspective, what kind of incentive is there to release a Doom 4? We are slowly moving into this era where younger gamers only know Doom by name and if they tried to play it they'd probably hate it - which is understandable because as much as I was floored by Doom when it first came out on PC, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to stomach it today.

I only got into Doom sometime last year and I think it's fantastic. The first game is especially brilliant in a lot of ways. And I was only 2 years old when the first one came out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mina_mina752

no news...bethesda is busy making a new lame "survivor horror" game, plus john carmack already left id software, i'm sure this game will suck hard without carmack

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: How? Doom was and still is a ton of fun. No story, no scripting, nothing in the way of pure mechanics and pentagrams. Except keys, but those are only occasionally a problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.