Doom 4 is a thing. I am no longer dying inside.

#1 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

" I'd hoped against hope that id Software would reveal at least a

little

bit about the announced but not yet revealed

Doom 4

, but studio CEO and co-owner Todd Hollenshead dashed those dreams during the press conference that opened up QuakeCon this year. Hollenshead said people are going to "love it" when

Doom 4

is unveiled, but people will have to come back to QuakeCon in 2010 to see anything. Until then, id Software is staying dark about it. Boo."

Via G4tv.com.

Also, apparently RAGE's first level hasn't even been built yet. Excuse me for sounding a little irate, but what the fuck has Carmack and Co. been doing since 2004? I understand that they've been building Id Tech5, but they first showed it off, what... a year? Two years ago? And hyped RAGE to hell and back, AND announced Doom 4 over a year ago, and they have fuck all to show for it aside from that RAGE trailer?

Sorry, but it seems like bad practice to announce a game (Speaking of Doom here) two or three years before you're even ready to show a trailer for it. That doesn't build any hype or any anticipation, it just pisses people off.

Anyone else growing impatient/fed up?

#2 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Lol jk guys. 

:|

#3 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -

yea this actually does piss me off

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4851 posts) -

#5 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

With so many good games coming out this year and next I really don't care when RAGE or Doom 4 come out. Especially considering that the last game they made was Doom3 it will probably be over-hyped and terrible.

#6 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@BunkerBuster:
Quake 4. Also, there are plenty of titles that are coming out that have the potential to be terrible this year, including the big hitters.
#7 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops:  Quake 4 was made by Raven Software, the same guys that made Singularity. The last proper game from Id was Doom3 and before that it was Quake 3: Arena.
#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

WELP SEE YOU NEXT YEAR GUYS.

#9 Posted by mbr2 (567 posts) -

Nice.

#10 Posted by Gargantuan (1883 posts) -

I love this thread.

#11 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I fucking hate everything.

#12 Edited by BigJeffrey (5078 posts) -

LOL

#13 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

Great fucking necro from the same fucking guy! Bahahahha!. Ohh.......

I really want Doom 4.

#14 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

No news again this year, huh?

#15 Edited by BigJeffrey (5078 posts) -
#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

I guess getting to play the game anytime soon is "Doomed."

#17 Edited by Wampa1 (712 posts) -
#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -
#19 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

pfffhahahaha

#20 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3222 posts) -

DOOMED EXPECTATIONS, M I RITA?

#21 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

This is a hilariously depressing thread.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11999 posts) -

It's great that you're continuously remembering this year after year.

Relax, man. id is just hard at work perfecting those hellatextures (read: John Carmack is busy looking at Wolfenstein 3D code and playing with rockets to make Doom 4 look and run properly).

As much as I'd like to play it, it probably isn't going to come out anytime soon. On one hand, this is pretty disappointing. On the other, I've enjoyed everything I've played from id and most of it has taken ages to come out.

#23 Posted by laserguy (446 posts) -

@tru3_blu3: RITA: Respect, Integrity, Trust, Acceptance. Doom 4.

#24 Edited by FlipperDesert (2096 posts) -

I can't wait for next year's update. It's either going to be amazing or tragic.

#25 Edited by wjb (1676 posts) -

"C U NEXT YEAR FOR QC2014!"

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Oh Christ, I'm dying over here. It's quite the chronicle of slow despair, this thread.

#27 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

I can't wait for next year's update. It's either going to be amazing or tragic.

I just can't wait until QuakeCon 2010, when we FINALLY get that sweet, sweet Doom 4 info!

#28 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

Damn you John Carmack!!!!!!!

#29 Edited by BigJeffrey (5078 posts) -

You should change the title, Q4 2070

Edit: Ha Nice

#30 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -
@bigjeffrey said:

@punkxblaze said:

ID ONLY Working on Doom 4

After the fiasco so far that's been Doom 4 so far, I don't have a whole lotta faith in Id at this point.

Thank you gentlemen for being here with me in my time of need. I consider this thread to be my magnum opus to Giant Bomb, and it will continue until Doom 4 is on my hard drive.

#31 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Oh, that new title! Oh god, there are tears of laughter in my eyes.

#32 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11307 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Great!

This game is basically Half-Life 3 now.

Or not, at least this one is announced.

#33 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Great!

This game is basically Half-Life 3 now.

Or not, at least this one is announced.

Doom 4Ever. Always bet on... Doom Guy.

#34 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

Every time I come back to this thread and reread this comment I laugh a little harder than I did the time before.

#35 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Do you really care that much about a game made by Carmack at this point? All he talks about is technical shit and as it turns out, and as we learned from Doom 3 and Rage, focus on technical shit doesn't magically make the game fun.

#36 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

:(

#37 Posted by csl316 (8985 posts) -

Oh man, only 2055? I can't wait til I turn 70 for some Doom 4 action!

#38 Posted by BaneFireLord (2952 posts) -

This is a fantastic thread.

#39 Posted by Rorie (3117 posts) -

Do you really care that much about a game made by Carmack at this point? All he talks about is technical shit and as it turns out, and as we learned from Doom 3 and Rage, focus on technical shit doesn't magically make the game fun.

I don't think Carmack has ever been focused on the design side of things. To a degree, everyone who works on a game should be held accountable for making it fun, but the primary responsibility for that has to lie on the designers, not the engine guy.

Staff
#40 Edited by RecSpec (3853 posts) -

This thread is awesome.

#41 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Doom 4 is the New Duke Nukem.

#42 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

This thread is awesome.

#43 Edited by BigJeffrey (5078 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@punkxblaze said:

After the fiasco so far that's been Doom 4 so far, I don't have a whole lotta faith in Id at this point.

Thank you gentlemen for being here with me in my time of need. I consider this thread to be my magnum opus to Giant Bomb, and it will continue until Doom 4 is on my hard drive.

HA I LOVE THIS SHIT, 3 Years and 11 months, STILL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Keep this thread alive and well.

#44 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@punkxblaze said:

HA I LOVE THIS SHIT, 3 Years and 11 months, STILL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Keep this thread alive and well.

Coming in 2014: I drink myself to death probably if there is still no Doom. I invite everyone to join me.

#45 Edited by Dalai (7042 posts) -

2013's 2009 Thread of the Year winner!

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@rorie said:

@grissefar said:

I don't think Carmack has ever been focused on the design side of things. To a degree, everyone who works on a game should be held accountable for making it fun, but the primary responsibility for that has to lie on the designers, not the engine guy.

I don't know. I could have sworn I read somewhere that Carmack was one of the people that forced Tom Hall out of id back in the day for desiring to infuse Doom with an actual story that went beyond "Hell demons on Phobos! Shoot everything!"

#47 Edited by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

It could be worse. You could be a Half Life fan.

#48 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

It could be worse. You could be a Half Life fan.

I am a Half Life fan. Imagine my sorrow.

@hailinel said:

@rorie said:

@grissefar said:

I don't know. I could have sworn I read somewhere that Carmack was one of the people that forced Tom Hall out of id back in the day for desiring to infuse Doom with an actual story that went beyond "Hell demons on Phobos! Shoot everything!"

I imagine it's not like that these days... but at the same time, Carmack is kind of a big deal at Id and when he suggests something, design wise, it's probably implicit that what he says goes. I always got the impression that RAGE was kind of his baby in that way.

#49 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

It will be out after Duke Nukem Forever is out, hahahahaha...wait, what year is this?

#50 Posted by Scotto (1201 posts) -

I don't get how id stay in business, with more or less no staff drama (firings, layoffs, resignations). They don't license idTech 5 to other studios, they release like one game every three years, and their last (couple of?) titles have not set the world ablaze sales or reviews-wise. How are they staying afloat, and keeping Bethesda happy?

This isn't the early aughts any more, where every single game seemed to run on the Quake engines, and probably made them a lot of money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.