Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom Multiplayer Megathread (RIP Doom MP)

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PlasmaDuck

Hey guys, I wanted to give some attention to the multiplayer in this game. It's gotten a ton of shit since the pre-release beta, a lot probably well deserved. The weapons aren't really balanced that well and the game modes makes it feel like a Halo/CoD clone, but I enjoy it. It's fast, twitchy and really flashy. I haven't sunk much time into console multiplayer FPS's before this so this might be a dreary mess to some people, but if you like me enjoy it for what it is, share your thoughts here!

I really like the gunplay in this game, it's the best I've played since probably Quake 3. It's a little sad there's no free-for-all death match mode, but team death match does a fairly good job for those who just want to shoot some people. I like Domination the most, not because I'm a huge fan of king-of-the-hill modes or anything, but because it always gives me a direction. I can glance at the mapmarkers to know were people will probably congregate, and thus where to go to bust some skulls with my combat shotgun.

Loadouts! I simultaneously hate it and love it. What made Quake or Unreal Tournament great was knowing the guns and controlling the map via controllling the gun/powerup spawns (besides razor-sharp controls). There's very little of that here, besides the Demon Runes, which often amount to nothing more than pure luck. On the other hand, you move so fast, you die so fast it hardly matters. If you feel you got screwed, switch loadout in a heartbeat and get back in there. I usually go for Rocket launcher / Combat shotgun / Frag grenade, it's versatile and straight-forward. My other loadouts usually amount to a combination of rocket, super/combat shotgun, minigun and/or hellshot. I try to use everything as much as possible though, I can see some real sneaky possibilities with the hologram grenade, though I've yet to perfect it. Maybe combine it with the super shotgun and vortex rifle for maximum damage output in both close and long range while distracting the enemy... But I hate the vortex rifle...

Anyways. What's your opinion of the multiplayer? Your favorite loadout, map or game mode?

EDIT: This game is overrun by hackers on PC. Don't expect a fair fight. The already imbalanced multiplayer is completely destroyed by hackers.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By katpottz

I like it. I have not played a modern multiplayer shooter in a while so the cod style gameplay is fresh to me. I think my favorite thing is the demon spawns that each team gets, it allows each team to work together to take down/defend the demon and gives the match a nice back-and-fourth.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think it's pretty fun to play next to Overwatch. The latter is a better multiplayer game, but DOOM mp is fun too as straight up shooter. It's weird how it's both a pretty decent arena shooter where you can absolutly trash the enemy if you know the armor and powerup timers and can control them (the Demon Rune is less random than you think, pay attention to the little demonic holes in the ground and their size and you should know where it will spawn), but on the other hand it has dumb (in a sort of good way btw) stuff in it like the Demon Rune and the weapons arent exactly balanced (chaingun too good, hellshot too weak, a lot of so-so weapons like the heavy assault, static and burst rifle).

I like the most of the non Hell maps. They offer a good flow if you chain your jumps. The hell maps are kinda flat and open in comparison so the gameplay there is a bit boring. No FFA is a bit of a disappointment, but I still having a good time with the objective playlist (TDM, Soul Harvest, Warpath and Domination).

Plus, I can make my character look like a rust bucket:

Meet Rust Bucket.
    Meet Rust Bucket.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played it for the trophies and I am going to go out and call it outright poor.

Because why bother with anything when the Chaingun is the only weapon worth a shit? I am awful at multiplayer games, but I did pretty well just off of using that alone. That, and I think that the multiplayer is just super bland. There's no personality in it the way the singleplayer has. Also, is it slower than the singleplayer? Sure feels like it.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PlasmaDuck

@error52: The chaingun seem pretty OP, but I'd rather have a combat shotgun actually. Come to think of it, I can't really explain why I always keep a rocket launcher in my loadout. Maybe it's the splash? As for the speed, I think it plays just as fast as the single player, playing against humans just goes to show the imbalance of the weapons. Last night I made an honest attempt at using the plasma rifle, all I could think was "a pre-spooled chaingun would be 100x times better...".

Let me ask you this, given the exact controls of the single player, would you be interested in a multiplayer mode were everyone started with the weak-ass pistol, all guns were pickups and it was a full on free-for-all?

@gundogan: That looks just like my guy did before I discovered metallic paints :D Now my guy is "Shiny but Scratched" Bucket.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@plasmaduck: I'm honestly surprised that there is no starting pistol free-for-all mode. That would certainly help fill a niche in the mainstream shooter scene.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Make the rocket launcher a one-hit-kill and it would be the multiplayer shooter I've wanted for a decade.

TrinketNPinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, judging from what I read here (and pretty much everywhere), there's no point in actually buying the game? I was really waiting for it, to play it online, but the reviews of the multiplayer parts are so disappointing.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trinketnpinker: Apart from the amazing campaign, the best FPS campaign since Half Life 2? Yeah sure, no point at all.

Jokes aside, the multiplayer is NOT bad. It's just not Quake 3 Remastered that people (including me) wanted.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rotnac

I was one of the few people who enjoyed the MP beta and I'm still having a lot of fun with the multiplayer since launch. It's not perfect but I would rather play this than any CoD or Titanfall. My biggest gripe from the beginning though has been the lack of FFA modes. What's the point of customizing your dude if you're just gonna be forced to be blue/red? All that aside if you separate it from classic DOOM mp and treat it as its own thing, it's not bad. Plus, if you want modern classic DOOM mp, that literally already exists elsewhere. Both are great.

That said, I jumped back into the multiplayer after taking a few weeks off from playing the game and came to the unfortunate reality that hackers have taken over this game. Several games of TDM had one guy shamelessly aimbotting and one-shotting everyone at full health. It's so obvious when one guy, for example, has 41 kills before anyone else has 5 yet. It's infuriating that there's no "report user" option in-game. Reporting these people to Steam (which you can't even do if you're in Big Picture Mode) probably won't do shit. I'm glad I haven't paid for the Season Pass because id Software and Bethesda are not getting another cent from me until they clean up this shit.

All in all, rant aside, if you get a game without any of those lowlifes (they're rare in the Domination hopper for some reason) it's still a pretty good time!

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PlasmaDuck

@rotnac: Yeah it's hacker central right now. Aimbots abound, I had a TDM game where a dude got a 40-5 K/D ratio with the fucking assault rifle. He sniped me from across the map several times, with the most useless weapon in the game. I'm pretty sure those 5 deaths were all to demons. I've never felt so demoralized as when I hit three rockets bang on a dude and he turns around and one-shots me with an underused weapon. It's fucking pathetic.

Not only that, all other modes are completely dead. It's such a shame, the game is really fun if you get a full game of honest people. I guess I have to capitulate and move on to Overwatch. Regardless of the DLC plans, this multiplayer is ruined.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@plasmaduck: yeah, pathetic for sure. The MP community has really dropped off cause of some shitty people. Wish id or Bethesda would've taken a Blizzard/Overwatch approach on the ruthless no second chances ban hammer. Just the fact there's no VAC or in-game reporting feature really shows that multiplayer was a complete afterthought and nothing more than a money-grab with their season pass (which, fine, okay, the campaign is why people should buy DOOM to begin with). I don't think they'll do anything to fix the cheating problem and if they are they haven't been transparent enough. I've made numerous complaints and have heard zero response.

At the end of the day it's their loss if they don't fix anything. There are far better MP shooters out there where cheating isn't plaguing the community. I'll continue to love the campaign and spend my money on other games instead of DOOM DLC.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rotnac: It's just sad. The announcements from Bethesdas E3 conference was pretty much all I want to hear for this game, but given the cesspool of a community the game harbors right now makes it all feel like a lost cause. I'm pretty sure they've left this game to die, giving room for Quake Champions (which will probably be fantastic). QC will hava a closed beta announced shortly and Doom will be left to rot.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So, judging from what I read here (and pretty much everywhere), there's no point in actually buying the game? I was really waiting for it, to play it online, but the reviews of the multiplayer parts are so disappointing.

Buy it for the campaign. That's pretty much been the consensus everywhere. If you're only interested in a multiplayer shooter, Overwatch is right over there. If you're looking for an arena shooter... well, there's not much to choose from.

Still, it's sad to see that this game's multiplayer has been overrun by hackers so quickly. That really sucks for anyone who bought a season pass. I had fun with it during the beta and a little while after buying it, though nowhere near enough to think about playing it enough to justify buying DLC.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the hacker problem gets sorted. I'm playing on PS4 and I don't know if there's many people hacking there, doesn't seem like it, but the game has some other problems with MP that they should sort out - like autobalancing teams or auto-forfeits. I was playing one of the rotation modes the other day and the rest of my team up and quit, leaving it as 4 on 1 until the game ended.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By gundogan

@jesus_phish: I haven't really seen any obvious hackers yet and they should be easy to weed out since we're playing on dedicated servers.

The lobby balancing is not great yea. Most of the time it just doesn't do it so often there's no point staying in the same lobby if you just rolled over the opponents or the other way around.

On a more positive note: the rocket launcher is quite a bit better now and the chain gun quite a bit weaker. The rocket deals 60 damage on a direct hit up from 55, but the splash damage is a lot better it seems. The rocket launcher should now be a viable first pick in a loadout, even if you are not confident about direct hits. The rocket/rail dream is real (without making other weapons feel useless except for the Hellshot, that thing is still shit).

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan at all. Love the SP but for MP I'm going right back to Overwatch

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The multiplayer is terrible, coming out in the same month as Overwatch didn't help either. It reminds me of Quake 3 but only in the way that makes me want to quit the Doom MP and play that instead. The fact that the DLC is going to be focused on the multiplayer is god damn crazy to me considering the quality of the singleplayer, its probably the first FPS where I would buy a season pass for more campaign missions. I'm glad they're patching in standard deathmatch (why in god's name wasn't that already there) but its too little too late.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysterious0bob: I don't get the "too little too late" sentiment. If they balance the weapons, fix the team sorting system and get rid of the hackers, it would be a great multiplayer game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.