Doom should be about monsters from hell

#1 Edited by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

... and not some science guys mixing the wrong stuff and creating zombies or mutants.

I want demons, porting from a hellish dimension, sent to invade and cause havoc on the living world as we know it in the future.

If a new Doom game goes for the zombie/mutant path again, then this scores a Meh +1 from me in advance.

Any actual news on plot/setting yet?

#2 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Doom 4 with Shin Megami Tensei demons.

Make it happen.

#3 Edited by CornBREDX (4790 posts) -

In the original the possessed dudes we're basically the same as what they were in Doom 3. Some may not have realized it due to it being text based story telling at the beginning and end but that was the case. 

I do agree, though, the focus seemed to much on them being zombie like in Doom 3. In the originals it seemed more like it kept upping the ante (just from memory) so you got more and more demonic stuff to fight farther you got. 

Doom 3 wasn't that much different, though, design wise to Doom 1 (other then the way to dark engine and no flash light unless you didn't want a weapon which for me wasn't that big of a deal but was a little annoying sometimes). In a lot of ways it reflected the original a little to much.

#4 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I agree... more demonic, hellish shit! Fuck science!

#5 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (725 posts) -

@coakroach: Shoot giant green penis with BFG

@CptBedlam: Unless the science in the game is a hammer

@coakroach: @CptBedlam: Hit the giant green penis with science!

#6 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Every Doom made so far has been about that. Doom 3 just explained the context more than 1, although they were virtually the same background wise. I would like to see a return to form though. 

From what they've said, it will be much more action oriented than Doom 3's horror setting.

#7 Posted by Incapability (197 posts) -

I agree, more pentagrams. More "oh shit, we didn't even realize Hell was a real place, but as it turns out, we were wrong - AND NOW THERE ARE DEMONS EVERYWHERE!"

#8 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

@mandude said:

From what they've said, it will be much more action oriented than Doom 3's horror setting.

I sure hope so. Doom 3 was kinda boring.

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2491 posts) -

It was a mistake to try to explain stuff and making it a horror game in Doom 3.

All we need from a Doom game is demonic stuff, hell and lots of demons and other hellspawns to kill... on Mars of course ... Scratch that, I want Earth and Hell merging into one world, the end of mankind! Unless one crazy doom-guy can fight his way through a metric-fuck-ton of monsters walking straight out of the portals from hell. And in the end you fight the Icon of Sin... wait you killed that in Doom 2... you have to kill the Icon of Sin merged with the rotting corpse of mecha-Hitler while Hell is crumbling around you!

#10 Posted by punkxblaze (2956 posts) -

Doom 3 didn't even come close to the fuckfest that was Doom: The Movie: Starring Duane Johnson. Shit was resident evil ON MARS.
 But yeah, part of the appeal of the original Doom was a lack of explanation. It was just OH SHIT MONSTERS KILL EM ALL RIP TEAR SHOTGUN. They didn't need to explain where the fuck the huge demons were coming from, they just -were-.
 Sure would be cool if they'd even say anything about Doom 4. Been sitting here three years now listening to them go NOPE MAYBE NEXT YEAR GUYS HEY HAVE YOU SEEN RAGE :D? every Quakecon.

#11 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

I will be happy if there is not one word of dialogue in Doom 4.

#12 Posted by punkxblaze (2956 posts) -
@mandude said:
I will be happy if there is not one word of dialogue in Doom 4.
Fshizzle. On the flip side, I'd be totally happy to have a well written, scary Doom. I just don't want some inbetween where you're kinda just wishing they'd shut up and let you kill dudes. Either shut up and let me kill dudes, or put me in a story I care about with truly horrific elements. I dunno, maybe give the protagonist a name and personality instead of being DoomGuy Mk III?
#13 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

In Doom 4 it should play like Ghost Master but you control the monster closets. The idea is to constantly annoy the invading marine until he stops playing. If he stops playing you win.

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Go play Hellgate London. They have plenty of demons for you.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So...set in the DMV? 

#16 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

@coakroach said:

Doom 4 with Shin Megami Tensei demons.

Make it happen.

Neko Shogun is straight outta hell, man.

I don't mind horror elements, but please, turn on the lights. Horror can fit well, but don't forget what makes Doom, Doom.

#17 Posted by mehojevich (23 posts) -

i want DOOM not half life........

#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I agree, get back to the DOOM roots by allowing me to shoot Marsian alien monsters from hell with ridiculous weapons! I demand it.

#19 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Hasn't every iteration of DOOM been about monsters from Hell?

They have.

EDIT: Fuck. I seem to have already said this in here.

#20 Posted by s10129107 (1179 posts) -

I hope Doom 4 is a Serious Sam style shoot everything and find the secrets game.

#21 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

What? Doom 1 and 3 are the same game - Scientists on Mars find ancient Martian artifacts. Mess with that shit, realize they released a portal into a dimension best described as Hell. Dude proceeds to close that shit.

Doom 2 - More Hell, now on Earth.

When, besides the movie, was it ever genetically mutated monsters?

#22 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

... and not some science guys mixing the wrong stuff and creating zombies or mutants.

I want demons, porting from a hellish dimension, sent to invade and cause havoc on the living world as we know it in the future.

If a new Doom game goes for the zombie/mutant path again, then this scores a Meh +1 from me in advance.

Any actual news on plot/setting yet?

You're thinking of the Doom movie

In Doom 3, they opened a portal, and hell just happened to use that portal to get through to our universe and start shit. If there was ever a zombie, its because of those lost souls claiming a victim, not because a test tube fell.

#23 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

if any series needs change its Doom.

that shit is boring.

#24 Posted by SuperiorArmbar (32 posts) -

Wait wait wait, you guys all got the story of Doom wrong. What happened was, demons come out of this gate on Mars and killed this badass dude's pet Rabbit. So he sets out on a revenge quest and slaughters just about every Demon in hell. Also there were some possesed dudes which is kind of said but there had to be some collateral damage if hell was going to be brought low

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.