Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Got the game way early, ask me anything

• 99 results
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@urbansanta: different weapons are suited better for situations, enemies, and even level design! They are all satisfying to use so far but I still have issue with the rocket launcher missiles traveling too slowly.

The chainsaw is fucking insane

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: long day but went really well, thanks for asking :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@conker said:

@jakob187:

With my few hours so far, I haven't seen TOO many of the kill x amount of demons to continue, though its definitely in there.Basically, there are these "gore nests" which when you destroy spawn enemies that you have to kill to proceed. It happens occasionally enough but to be honest, the combat is really well executed and fun but I can see how it would maybe not lend that well to a speed runner. I myself have been kinda getting into the Doom 2 speedruning scene so I know the struggle. The combat is very fast paced though!

Level design has leaned more towards the Doom 2 style, much more focus on open arena styles. Only a few corridors. Don't get me wrong, this is a LINEAR game through and through but its not a claustrophobic one; far from it.

Sad to hear about the "gore nests," but oh well. If the combat is fluid enough and works well, then it shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. I don't mind a fight here and there if need be. There are quite a few times in a Doom 2 speedrun where you HAVE to kill stuff. I'm just wondering how punishing that could be to a speedrun on, say, Ultra Nightmare or whatever it's called, which will be my overall end goal if I play this game more than once.

I'm glad to hear about the level design, though.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@conker said:

@rafaelfc: it's amazing. I'm really loving it, 9/10 from I've seen so far

Wow, that is surprising. Good to hear!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: ultra nightmare sounds awful. Definitely gonna require a lot of practice, though I'm not sure yet how they change enemy spawn patterns or ammo placement etc

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Tennmuerti

@conker: You mentioned that the shotgun is good, which is encouraging.

Can you elaborate if it has that unique satisfying "feel" of id shotguns. Like for example all it faults one of the things that RAGE did really well was the shotgun.

I am not kidding that this is one of the major deciding factors for me (to give it a shot or not) I can forgive a game almost anything for such satisfying shotguns.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are the sprites

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: haven't gotten the super shotgun yet, but the regular shotgun is definitely my most used weapon so far!

It feels great, sounds great, is very effective, and the mods for it are actually useful (I'm looking at you, heavy assault rifle scope)

Definitely an id shotgun

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I really wonder why people say this is similar to Wolfenstein The New Order, when it seems nothing like it. That game was story focused, this seems anything but.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@conker: I realize I only have to wait two days but I've been wondering this question for a while and your opinion seems pretty trustworthy! So, does it feel like a Doom game along the lines of the originals or does it feel like a Serious Sam/Bulletstorm/Painkiller game? (If you haven't played those games then I apologize for the dumb question)

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: I have no idea if this is actually true but to me Doom looks like it "feels" a lot like The New Order.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_tajij: it doesn't feel like those games to me no, though it's been YEARS since I've last played painkiller.

There is no question that if someone blind tested this game they'd guess what series it falls under, at least in my mind!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I've been loving the soundtrack, especially how e1m1 seems to be remixed into like everything.

Basically when in combat the music flairs up then quiets down for the few seconds of downtime. Really well composed

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: yeah they are not comparable. There is no stealth at all in this game, and story is very minimal.

Also, CIRCLE STRAFING IS BACK

Avatar image for deactivated-5be1da2bba3cc
    deactivated-5be1da2bba3cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker said:

@atwa: yeah they are not comparable. There is no stealth at all in this game, and story is very minimal.

Also, CIRCLE STRAFING IS BACK

The best news I've heard all day.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@urbansanta: it really encourages you to use different weapons ammo can be quite scarce, I got it today played for about 3 hours, I gotta say, I'm at work now and it's all I can think about. I fucking love it!!.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@conker said:

Let's just say that my current place of residence has zero respect for release dates

Obviously only the single player is available, and I've played about 2 hours so far.

It's really really fun. The game runs super smooth with nary a moment of stutter or lag. There are secrets to find, demons to shoot, and weapons to mod and upgrade.

I think they really nailed it. Definitely feels like a modern Doom game!

I thought that the glory kills would get real boring real fast, but man they are so satisfying to pull off. Really looking forward to 100% this game, and I think it will be in my permanent replay list.

Also, this game has by far the best Easter egg in any game ever. Go ID!

It will be hard pressed to be better than Uncharted 4's playable Easter egg.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well everyone seems to have answered my questions, and I was already super pumped for this game, so thanks for making me more pumped!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@urbansanta: it really encourages you to use different weapons ammo can be quite scarce, I got it today played for about 3 hours, I gotta say, I'm at work now and it's all I can think about. I fucking love it!!.

I really can't decide if I wanna get this on PS4 or PC! I'm pretty sure my PC can run it fine but man I dunno.. PS4 is where I'd rather play.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzdog12 said:
    @conker said:

Let's just say that my current place of residence has zero respect for release dates

Obviously only the single player is available, and I've played about 2 hours so far.

It's really really fun. The game runs super smooth with nary a moment of stutter or lag. There are secrets to find, demons to shoot, and weapons to mod and upgrade.

I thought that the glory kills would get real boring real fast, but man they are so satisfying to pull off. Really looking forward to 100% this game, and I think it will be in my permanent replay list.

The easter egg in the very beginning of Uncharted 4 right? Yeah Doom's is better!

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What is the co-op? The steam page says there is co-op but I can't find any info on what that means. Can I play through the campaign with a friend?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wanna keep asking questions.

Do you ever run into a flat, wide-open field and shoot dozens of guys? I saw a lot of smaller, tighter environments where you're constantly moving and jumping around. But an occasional giant battle with minimal obstacles could be fun now and then.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Twiggy199

@humanity: I'm playing ito ps4 and it runs extremely smooth I've put motion blur up to high and turned chromatic on, it looks really really good. But hey if you've gotta pc that can handle a higher setting than ps4 can handle... That game looks preeeetty cool on pc.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@radixnegative2: seems the map editor checklist contains co-op so I'm wondering if there's a horde mode of some sort?.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Most of the gunfights are in more open arena style areas!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@radixnegative2: I haven't seen any coop options for the campaign yet, but maybe there's some online coop stuff? Servers are still offline so

AsherV20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Whaddya think has been the most enemies on screen at a time?

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker What were your thoughts on the UI? I played the multiplayer beta on PC and navigating the menus never seemed to feel right. With gamepad it seemed like it would move over multiple options at once, and with mouse & keyboard I had the feeling it was sticking on options as I moved over them. Overall it felt really bad. Have you had any issues like that, or have any thoughts on UI in general?

Avatar image for gratefuldead207
    Gratefuldead207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome to hear, wolfenstein came out of no where and was amazing, cant wait till friday the 13th!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By conker

@asherv20: I wanna say something like 10? At one point I was fighting 2 revenants , a hell Knight, imps, and those zombie soldiers.

At once

I died

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballsleon: I think the ui is fine, but my only issue is with the weapon wheel. Now that I have most of the weapons I occasionally find myself picking the wrong one in during frantic firefights, even though I know where they are on the weapon wheel.

Kind of related, but I wish the game was clearer about when power ups were present. So many times I'd clear out a particularly tough room only to find the power up AFTER the fact

ooploo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ooploo

@conker said:
    @ozzdog12 said:
    @conker said:

The easter egg in the very beginning of Uncharted 4 right? Yeah Doom's is better!

@conker: is the easter egg just the classic level

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ooploo: classic levels. Every level has a secret classic level hidden. That you can play. Fully.

So good

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twiggy199: You find the aiming is fine on a gamepad like you don't need to be really twitchy? Is there a decent amount of auto-aim to compensate? Recently Overwatch was the first game I found that I didn't really enjoy playing on a pad all that much, which is strange since I haven't seriously gamed on the PC in a while and definitely not on mouse and keyboard.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: they really nailed the game pad aiming, though I do have an issue some times using the plasma rifle and the heavy assault rifle.

Definitely play this with a mouse and keyboard if you can, but the ps4 version is perfectly good

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker: Cool we will see tomorrow! I might rip and tear with a mouse, or I might rip and tear on PS4. Either way, can't wait to rip and tear.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: you've a great weekend ahead of you my good sir!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker: Well I mean I already bought Uncharted 4 so my weekend was going to be pretty good regardless, but it did get a little better!

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Been playing some today, it's really great!

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vod_crack: I have played the first 2 missions, I'm really enjoying it.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#92  Edited By ObiKwiet

Have you seen any of the texture pop-in that was present in id tech 5?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a37180dca3c1
    deactivated-5a37180dca3c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I didn't like the multiplayer. How's the campaign? Is it blood pumpin' carnage? It's what's I'm hoping for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be1da2bba3cc
    deactivated-5be1da2bba3cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the soundtrack the sort that I can head-bang to it in the car, or did they go the Hans Zimmer/Jerry Goldsmith bombastic movie route?

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I didn't like the multiplayer. How's the campaign? Is it blood pumpin' carnage? It's what's I'm hoping for.

Yes, 100%.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea if you can do any multiplayer stuff yet, but if you can, is it still super quiet like the beta? It was fun, but I would think it'd be more fun with riffs or chatter or some sort of ambiance.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: it's fast but you have room to move, so i wouldn't call it twitchy, point blank shots can feel quite awkward, I feel like I'm shooting past enemy's sometimes.

I don't believe there's any auto aim but you kinda don't need it.

The DS4 does the job perfectly.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dukeking said:

Is the soundtrack the sort that I can head-bang to it in the car, or did they go the Hans Zimmer/Jerry Goldsmith bombastic movie route?

Loading Video...

The soundtrack is absolutely killer.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dukeking said:

Loading Video...

The soundtrack is absolutely killer.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.