Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

GTX 760: Can I run it?

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Hey duders! Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I know this isn't necessarily a place for tech help/advice, so please ignore or remove this if necessary.

Anyway, my graphics card, a GeForce GTX 760, is the only component in my computer that falls short of the minimum requirements to run Doom. However, I was able to run the multiplayer beta just fine at a fairly consistent 60 fps (at least it felt like 60) with a bunch of settings turned down. I realize the final product, especially the singleplayer campaign, may be a little more resource intensive, but I'm still curious if my meager rig would have any chance of playing this game smoothly. Upgrading my gpu is certainly an option, but I'd like to save some money if possible. So, can I run it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Remember that Steam has refunds - as long as you haven't played more than 2 hours or own the game for more than two weeks, you can get your money back. That's what I remember, at least, I should fact-check that one day, but Steam does do refunds if you start up the game and it doesn't work well enough to play.

I've spent a few minutes poking around the internet and results seem mixed. I imagine a lot of it has to do with people trying to play the game on the highest settings and then complaining that their three year old mid-range card isn't cutting it, but it still doesn't seem like older cards are super dependable for running this game. There are a lot of options to mess with. You'll probably have to immediately turn down Virtual Texturing Page Size - I'm not a hundred percent sure what that does, but just from the name I'm guessing it creates some kind of page file in VRAM for textures?

Turning down effects and texture quality doesn't seem to affect the game much so most of your performance boosts will probably come from changing the resolution scaling or the resolution itself, turning off Vsync, turning anti-aliasing down, etc.

In any case, if the beta ran well then chances are that the full game will run well on your machine, too.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The minimum req is a GTX 670 according to steam.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gundogan

I'm running it on a R9 270X which is rougly the same. It's fine as long as you don't crank the resolution up too high (I'm playing at 65% resolution scale on 1080p), have a somewhat decent CPU (4790K here so that helps) and perhaps keep shadows at low (although that might be an AMD thing). Everything else can be on high/max and you should be able to get 60fps+ in most situations with some dips to 45-50.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

@bizarrozorak: I'm contemplating the same thing. I also have a GTX 760. Let me know how it runs for you. I'm holding out until the GTX 1070 releases before upgrading.

My machine is a bit older as well.I'm running also a Core i7 i3770, 16 GB DDR3 1600.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: Will do! I might not report back for a while though, as I'm on a pretty slow internet connection and I need to find a time in which I can download all 45 GB without interruption. In any case, it looks like your machine will stand a better chance than mine. I'm only running a i5-4570 and 8 GB ram, and like I said, that managed to play the open beta pretty well.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It runs, but not well. As in, sometimes I will be getting 70+ fps and then I do a 180 and it goes down to 20-25 for no discernable reason other than poor optimisation. This is on a mixture of medium, high, and very high.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: That's unfortunate. Do you know if it's any smoother with everything set to Low (if the settings even go lower than Medium)? I definitely wouldn't mind losing some visual fidelity if it helps keep a consistently smooth framerate.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizarrozorak: I pulled the trigger (soon to be literally) and it's downloading/installing now. I'll give you an idea of how it runs and what my config is

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't @brad mention in the QL that his home machine is a 670 and it runs fine on medium settings? I specifically remember it because a) I also have a 670 and was surprised to hear I could actually run the game and had to consider actually getting it for the first time and b) because I was shocked to hear Brad had such an old card since he's so big on PC gaming.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458:If that's true, then that raises my hopes a little bit, although the 760 appears to be a weaker card according to some benchmark charts I saw. I suppose I could just set all the settings lower than medium (again, if that's possible) and see how that works.

@makinbacon: Thanks for looking into it! I hope the game works well for you.

And before I forget, thanks to everyone else for offering their insights!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: That's unfortunate. Do you know if it's any smoother with everything set to Low (if the settings even go lower than Medium)? I definitely wouldn't mind losing some visual fidelity if it helps keep a consistently smooth framerate.

Possibly. I think I have textures at high and stuff already looks kinda shit up close and the pop-in is still ridiculous. I just played some more and it is super annoying how it'll go from close to 80 fps in a fight all the way down to 20 for no reason whatsoever and holy fucking shit 20 fps and a fast fps is the worst shit ever.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

History really is cyclical . I feel like I did again in the early 2000s needing a card to play Half-Life 2 / Doom 3 properly.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Running fine on good ol' 670 with Medium quality preferences.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Frybird

Another Link that might help:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-face-off

It's partially a comparison article for the consoles, but it also gets a bit in depth in what the PC settings mean and have a pedantic screenshot comparison between the different quality pre sets (even low looks good methinks). As it has been said, take advantage of a potential Steam refund and experiment for a bit (play until the first "gore nest" [you'll know it when you see it] for a slight stress test).

Also, you might want to upgrade your graphics driver, NVIDIA has released one shortly after Doom released and i felt like it did ease some slowdowns away for me.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizarrozorak : So far, It was a little choppy when I launched it. As soon as I disabled V-sync I had no issues. I've been running everything at pre-set medium. I'm going to mess around with it and start tweaking some settings. Once I get a "good" stable setup i'll let you know what I end up setting it to.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frybird:Thanks for the tip on the gore nest! I was wondering what graphically-intensive areas I should experiment with before the Steam refund time runs out, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

@makinbacon: Super glad to hear it's working so far. Out of curiosity, what resolution are you running at? As others have stated, resolution has a pretty significant effect on performance, and I personally wouldn't mind having to drop down to 720p to keep things running smoothly.

And another quick (and possibly dumb) question: I'm currently running Windows 8.1. Does anyone know if upgrading to Windows 10 would affect performance at all?

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I currently have a 760gtx with i5 6600k. I get around 45-75fps on medium. It all depends on the area. Gore nests range around 45-50 while open areas can hold around 60-70 depending how many demons are on screen. I'm not too far into the game, 4th or 5th level, but so far, its been holding up nicely. I can't imagine going any higher for graphics, but play-ability, its perfectly fine. Enjoy running around and tearing demons apart!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kindgineer

I have a 750GTX and it runs swell on medium settings!

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

@bizarrozorak I'm running at 1920x1080 . So far no issues at all through the first 2.5 levels .Outside it's a bit grainy (there's a graphics setting for it ) but that's it .the only time I've noticed pop in textures was when first getting the praetor armor. I haven't tried dipping down to 720 , and honestly don't plan on it .

The game looks pretty even on medium . The big take away from Doom is the gameplay though .it's fast and crazy . Id worry more about it running smooth than looking good .With a GTX 760 you can definitely do that .

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally finished downloading and played the first couple levels this morning. Just to be safe, I immediately set the resolution to 720p, dropped the resolution scaling a bit (not actually sure what that does to be honest), and turned most of the other settings down to medium or low. It looks a little ugly and blurry, but I'm frequently getting over 100 fps, so I suppose I could turn some settings up. :)

Again, thanks a ton for all your help and input! I'm definitely gonna enjoy reducing those demonic invasion levels for the rest of the campaign!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizarrozorak: Resolution scale renders the game in a higher or lower resolution than the one you set while keeping the UI and such at your set resolution. At 720p, you should be keeping that one at 100%. :p

Also, the blurry graphics of a lower resolution (scale) can also be mitigated a bit with the sharpness setting without sacrificing too many frames.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizarrozorak Make sure you get the demonic invasions back to safe levels.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jorbit

I would probably plan to upgrade your GPU sometime this year, I think next year is about the time you'll start finding games that you can't run very well.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: 65%?! I tried that and got some hot Nintendo 64-like draw distance going on...

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gundogan

@dprotp: It's okay with AA and sharpening. That has less of a performance drop than putting it at 100% on 1080p without AA and sharpening and only things in the distance are indeed a little bit more blurry. I need a new videocard for 1080p (those new cards need to come out so people start dumping their old ones!). :(

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan said:

@dprotp: It's okay with AA and sharpening. That has less of a performance drop than putting it at 100% on 1080p without AA and sharpening and only things in the distance are indeed a little bit more blurry. I need a new videocard for 1080p (those new cards need to come out so people start dumping their old ones!). :(

But...

No Caption Provided

It makes me feel like I'm playing Doom 64!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gundogan

@dprotp: hey we all wanted this doom to be like the old ones right?! Deal with it! :)

(Also, yea I wish it could look better but it's that or 30fps gameplay :()

(Also, it's not always THAT bad)

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dprotp

@gundogan: Hah, good point. I have a 960 coming in on Saturday so I think that'll help considerably...

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizarrozorak I don't know how far you've got into Doom, but on the 6th level you may experience some choppyness. I had to cut down my resolution and start tweaking settings to hold 30 FPS. I'm REALLY trying not to buy a new graphics card and wait till the 1070 comes out.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: Finished the campaign on Hurt Me Plenty, played some SnapMap and multiplayer, and haven't experienced too many significant framerate drops. There was one mission, I forget which, when it initially dropped to 40 fps, but it didn't last too long. Most of my settings are pretty darn low, and I imagine things will get a little more intense (and possibly more frame-y) on higher difficulties. In general I've found that, if you can tolerate less-than-stellar graphics settings, the game usually runs just fine. Of course, less-than-stellar graphics won't be a problem with the 1070. Man, I really want one of those too!

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BizarroZoraK

Figured I should post my settings in case anyone's interested. (sorry if these are poorly formatted, I haven't posted images in the forums like this before)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Actually doesn't look too bad!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

@bizarrozorak Thanks for posting your settings! I followed them as well except I left my resolution at 1080. I think the biggie was I had motion blur enabled. Which would probably explain the slowdown when there was a ton of particles on Screen. I'm not quite sure if using Compute Shaders would adversely affect my experience but I'm in the advanced research facility (Level 8) and It's running way smoother.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a
    deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizarrozorak: Hey. Mine ran fine at Medium. Except one level about 75% in and it CHUGGED! This game has made me want to buy a new GFX card, so i can just sit and watch..........watch

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.