Lead Game Designer of Doom 4 Dismissed from id

• 63 results
#1 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Mike Wikan, lead game designer of Doom 4, posted a status update yesterday in his LinkedIn profile that he has been dismissed from id Software. His status reads:

"So long my peeps at id! i wish we had longer together. I guess I am back in the hunt for a new project!"

My guess is that he is one of the staff members from id to receive the pink slip from Bethesda two days ago. Wikan is known for his work at Retro Studios as senior game designer in the Metroid Prime series and had worked at Retro for more than a decade until May of last year to join id. Such a pity that his stay at the company didn't last long.

I'm not sure if Wikan leaving the company will have any effect on the development of Doom 4 but it's safe to say that we won't be seeing any phazons or Dark Samus-like entities in the game.

#2 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Ugh. I hope this is them taking their games in a new creative direction as opposed to just falling apart.

#3 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

Hope he finds a new job soon-I thought the development of Doom 4 had been put on hold? if not this has made my day

#4 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -
@McBEEF: No, it was a rumour, later denied by Bethesda (maybe id themselves, I can't remember).
#5 Posted by Antikythera (55 posts) -

I didn't want any scanning and gathering in Doom 4 anyway.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

Sounds like Bethesda expected a lot more from Rage.

#7 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

borderlands showed that ID are clueless about making games.

#8 Posted by SSully (4118 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Sounds like Bethesda expected a lot more from Rage.

I think everyone excepted more from Rage. It had a lot of hype, in terms of both graphics and gameplay and it fell very short.

#9 Posted by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -
@AnimalFather said:

What.
#10 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (35832 posts) -

Here's how I think it went down:

"Hey, guys, you know Doom 3? How about we make Doom 4 more like that?"

".....Get the fuck out of our building."

#12 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

With a last name like Wikan, you'd think he would've been perfect for Doom.

#13 Posted by Evilsbane (4519 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

*Climbs onto the side of the boat* The fuck?

#14 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Aw man. Why would they drop one of the guys responsible for Metroid Prime? Him being the senior game designer makes it cool to say he was one of the dudes responsible for it, right?.

I really wish I picked up Metroid Prime Trilogy before it went out of print. It costs so much now! :(

#15 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

*swims to the side of the boat* hey guys, what the hell?

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

Once you guys figure him out, let the rest of the community know, ok? He's not the best at making sense, you should read some of his other amusing threads/posts just to see if it will help you figure him out :P
#17 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

This boat is fucked up.

#18 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

Once you guys figure him out, let the rest of the community know, ok? He's not the best at making sense, you should read some of his other amusing threads/posts just to see if it will help you figure him out :P

Im taking a HUGE guess that hes comparing Rage to Borderlands......?

The SS NoF'ingClue has sailed and hit an iceberg

#19 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

@AnimalFather: iD had nothing to do with borderlands...

#20 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

Borderlands was secretly made by Id to see if the masses would be ready for RAGE so it was released under the ruse that it was a Gearbox product.

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@SomeDeliCook said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

That's as good a guess as any :P 
I'm just waiting for a "How Grand Theft Auto compares to Minesweeper"  thread
#22 Posted by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -
@SomeDeliCook said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

The SS NoF'ingClue has sailed and hit an iceberg

I also thought of that, though AnimalFather's amazing fucking phrasing made me so confused we're now on the Pacific Ocean. And I didn't even want to get on a boat in the first place.

I wonder if he will respond to us. Or rather wait until PS4 and X720 comes out.

#23 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I think it's bizarre how developers feel such pressure to "keep up with modern games" when they're old style of games has never failed. Doom didn't go out of style, they changed what it was and people HATED that. Why not, and I know this is radical... just make another Doom game? Better graphics, and updated controls. I don't want it to be like GTA. I don't want it to be like Halo. I don't want it to be like Modern Warfare. I just want a normal, run and gun, this-belongs-in-a-comic-book style Doom game.

#24 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -
@AnimalFather

Typical AnimalFather making no sense at all. Bummer the dude got canned but I don't give a shit about Doom 4.
#25 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

borderlands rage same thing. rage showed that ID are not good at storylines in games. they are completely clueless.

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

It's probably because the project wasn't going anywhere. How long has it been in development without any signs of life?

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

@Olivaw said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

This boat is fucked up.

Olivaw, you being the master of noticing that things are fucked up, you should use this wizard hat and robe...

...and then let us know what the fuck is going on in this boat.

#28 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@Olivaw said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

This boat is fucked up.

Olivaw, you being the master of noticing that things are fucked up, you should use this wizard hat and robe...

I think we'd rather not know where this boat's going, since The Lonely Island just hopped on board.

#29 Posted by DonutFever (3548 posts) -
@AnimalFather said:

borderlands rage same thing. rage showed that ID are not good at storylines in games. they are completely clueless.

*Slow Clap
#30 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

I wouldn't mind if Doom 4 took some cues from Wolfenstein (2009)'s free-roaming central hub, but I definitely don't want it to be too open & modern. I really liked Doom 3 & Resurrection Of Evil but more collectible items and maybe some weapon upgrades would be cool.

#31 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

So... he was lead designer on the game for only half a year? Not sure how much of Rage's faults can really be laid as his feet, then.

#32 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

The importance of this news really depends on whether he left or was fired, for obvious reasons. If he was fired then maybe things at id are dire indeed especially if he was only working there for 9 months. On the other hand people do leave these projects as evidenced by the AssCreed guys leaving, or Ryan Patten leaving 343.

Just as an aside I do recall some story a little while ago about how all the jobs listed for Doom 4 basically meant "If you work at id you might work on Doom 4 at some point but probably not for a long while". As I understand it this was because the mention of Doom 4 was to attract the best possible people.

#33 Posted by Stonyman65 (2570 posts) -

@AnimalFather said:

Grammar proper much?

#34 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Have some rumored Doom 4 (trailer?) music:

Taken from Mick Gordon (video game/trailer composer)'s site. This track on his showreel is called "The Humans"; there is another one called "The Demons". Also his credits list only "Unannounced FPS" as his current project. Put the pieces together.

#35 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

@Olivaw said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

This boat is fucked up.

*parachutes into the boat* the hell is this?

#36 Edited by pweidman (2284 posts) -

Very interesting news. While playing through RAGE recently, and finishing it, I was repeatedly asking myself what were they thinking? It does seem that id is out of touch in terms of modern game design on several levels. They had plenty of time, yet the game seemed unfinished in many ways, especially the obviously truncated ending.

Maybe this guy's dismissal from the development of Doom 4 is completely unrelated, dunno. But it makes me wonder if Bethesda and id are reflecting and fundamentally restructuring based on the final product that was RAGE.

#37 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

This just reminds me I need to get Metroid Prime Trilogy for my roommate's Wii.

#38 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

@august said:

They stopped printing that game and it's hella expensive now.

#39 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

@thehexeditor said:

@august said:

:(

#40 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

@august said:

@thehexeditor said:

@august said:

I only know because...

I tried buying the game a couple weeks ago. ; (

#41 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

id is not downsizing. Employees who were deemed not up to snuff were let go, according to the Bethesda. They are hiring for the exact positions now, so it's plausible.

#42 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@razkazz said:

I wouldn't mind if Doom 4 took some cues from Wolfenstein (2009)'s free-roaming central hub, but I definitely don't want it to be too open & modern. I really liked Doom 3 & Resurrection Of Evil but more collectible items and maybe some weapon upgrades would be cool.

I enjoyed playing Wolfenstein 2009 too. It'd be neat to see Doomguy roaming around Hell or something blasting hell-spawned demons with an assortment of weapons in a vast environment like what BJ Blazkowicz did at Isenstadt. That and combining with Doom 3's scare factor, Rage's graphics and Mike Wikan's input would be the best concoction id will ever make.

Doom 4, don't disappoint us!

#43 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -

Noooooo! What's going to happen to the game we know nothing about!?

Also... why is AnimalFather still here?

#44 Posted by SimonM7 (129 posts) -

AAAH! STOP THAT GUY HE'S MAKING THIS TOO INTERESTING!

Prolly the reasoning.

#45 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

Well, Carmack doesn't really play games which is why most id games are glorified tech demos. An outside force making him pair up with someone more interesting than who he tends to hire on his own is probably a good thing.

#46 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@thehexeditor said:

@august said:

@thehexeditor said:

@august said:

I only know because...

I tried buying the game a couple weeks ago. ; (

I was lucky to have bought one copy in great condition on eBay last year. The seller gave me a good offer and I was very happy about it. Only problem, I don't have the time to play it. :P

#47 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

I think it's bizarre how developers feel such pressure to "keep up with modern games" when they're old style of games has never failed. Doom didn't go out of style, they changed what it was and people HATED that. Why not, and I know this is radical... just make another Doom game? Better graphics, and updated controls. I don't want it to be like GTA. I don't want it to be like Halo. I don't want it to be like Modern Warfare. I just want a normal, run and gun, this-belongs-in-a-comic-book style Doom game.

If the old style of games never failed, then why did the style of games change? If the old style always worked, shouldn't that just still be the style of games today? Creating Doom 4 to be exactly like the old Doom games will only appeal to Doom fans or fans of Doom like games, and how many of them are still playing and buying games? You have to modernize games because the audience that played the old Doom games isn't around any more. They have to target the current crop of gamers and that means modernizing the game. I'm sure they're not going to totally modernize it and will create a mix of old and new game styles, but they can't just pretend like its the mid 90s still.

#48 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

If the old style of games never failed, then why did the style of games change? If the old style always worked, shouldn't that just still be the style of games today?

First off, invalid argument on the basic tenant that you obviously don't pay attention to the ever-changing climate of a thing we call, "trends". The style of game changed because the trends changed. Not for the better, not for the worse. Just changed.

And that style of game still does work today. Serious Sam 3: BFE was released fine, and PC games such as Hard Reset and even Bulletstorm are doing what Doom did back in the day.

#49 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (966 posts) -

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

@jakob187 said:

@Olivaw said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

This boat is fucked up.

I think we'd rather not know where this boat's going, since The Lonely Island just hopped on board.

#50 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Olivaw said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Evilsbane said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ghostiet said:

@AnimalFather said:

What.

Im on the same boat

This boat is fucked up.

*parachutes into the boat* the hell is this?

I'm a boat and that sentence is fucked up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.