Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Will I get as much out of it?

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

Listening to the guys on the Bombcast and general opinion has made me interested in picking up Doom for the campaign. However, I didn't play Doom back in the day and have no nostalgia or affinity for the franchise as a whole. I understand and respect its impact on the industry but simply never played it. It sounds like people are enjoying the campaign because it draws on the past with easter eggs and call backs. Should I spend the money to pick this up?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's a fantastic game that would still serve as a fresh injection into the FPS genre in years regardless of whether you played the original Doom or not. That and it doesn't play, look, sound or feel anything like the old Doom games, it just takes everything that was good about them and modernizes them brilliantly.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeStephan

Its my GOTY so far and I have 0 nostalgia for old doom. If you are in for a fast and smooth as fuck violent dumb fps game where you are expected to be moving/dodging ALL the time with some exploration sprinkled in to catch your breath once in a while you cant get much better imo.

Closest I've been to a doom game before my 20s was playing it on a jaguar in a museum for maybe 10 minutes back in 2004.

I did play a few levels of Doom 1+2 fairly recently after seeing the double fine lets play with Romero and its INCREDIBLE how much of the old design got successfully translated to the new game but thats about it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i got bored with it as it's not much but a pure shooter, so if you want more than shooting things then maybe pass. If you like shooting things, it does a good job of making shooting things feel good...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think so, it's all about the gameplay. I love the old games, but aside from a few "oh hey, that guy" moments I think this stands on its own.

There is no other modern campaign like it, and I think it's essential if you like FPS games.

boysef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh good god YES, Its superbly put together and it plays so smooth.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's incredible all by itself. You don't need to have played old Doom for it to be a good time. I haven't.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I say yes. I never really played the original Doom's back in the day beyond maybe a couple of the demo levels. I'm also not generally an FPS fan.

That said, I absolutely love this new version. It's the shooter I didn't know I wanted.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's a really solid shooter based on old mechanics that have looped around and become novel again. Go in with an open mind and I think you'll have a good time. Just don't play it like most modern shooters. XD

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. If you know nothing about Doom at all, yes. If you know about Doom, yes. If you are intimately familiar with Doom, yes.

I played Doom when I was a kid and thought it was OK. This game is amazing.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By John1912

You may not get as much out of it as a fan of the franchise, but its a fantastic game. One of the best of the year. If you like a good FPS I would easily recommend it. And shit, go back and play Doom, and Doom II.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Absolutely.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The beauty of the game is that it stands on its own as the best playing shooter in a decade+, while also having a deep respect for its source material. The game just feels so good to play (I'm on PC) that, after the credits rolled on ultra-violence, I wanted nothing more than to jump straight into Nightmare. I just wanted to play more, no achievements or any crazy secrets that I missed causing me to do it, I just simply wanted to play more of the video game more because of how good it is.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah you should play it. I never played the original Doom when it came out since I was not born yet (I am 22), and have not got around to playing it. But this game is such a breath of fresh air in the stale market of FPS, and just some really great fun that does not take itself to seriously

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game today and I thought it was one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played. I only have a cultural awareness of the other games, but at no point did I feel lost or confused by the story. My only real complaint is that I thought it was about 3 chapters too long, but by the time I was finished i felt like I really earned that ending and was totally satisfied.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I barely played the first game and never touched the sequels. I have some sort of "indirect nostalgia" I guess you could call it? By that I mean that as a fervant game enthusiast, I know a lot about the game and appreciate its legacy even if I haven't played it. With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It's just pure fun. It plays super well, it looks and sounds wonderful, the tone is perfectly on point and it's just the right length.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It is totally worth fullprice. The campaign is among the best in over a decade and the multiplayer isn't bad, it's just bland.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

I'd have to play nightmare to decide, but playing on easy is nearly too mindless. The game I don't find special, or exceptional in any way really (the enemies animate well, but I've seen it before, which feels like the rest of the game). It's well made, but the talk of it being one of the best in a decade is hyperbole to me right now, as it doesn't really do anything that different, and shooting guys is good, but not amazing. So far, though I enjoy it, I struggle to find motivation to play it for long periods of time. I beat a mission, and quit because I want to do something else, which says I'm not into it that much. I like the voice work. The story is goofy, though somewhat interesting I suppose. I want to like it more as a sci-fi shooter, but it's too implausible, though it's not necessarily supposed to be plausible. I think, though I'd probably want to play this more due to what story they have, Brutal Doom is a funner game to play. You should check that out; the original Doom is cheap. Also, this game has Doom 3 easter eggs in there too. You don't need to have played the previous Doom's to enjoy this. This game is basically Halo put together with the recent Shadow Warrior, and I got a small hint of Metroid Prime as well (mainly due to the map and finding stuff though). I don't get the 'it's so original, and so good' comments, but opinions. You'll probably enjoy it. It's not as though I'm not recommending it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ntm: Why the hell were you playing on Easy? Of course a gameplay focused game is boring on the difficulty meant for people who don't often play games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I'm on ultraviolence, but even normal would be a better choice than easy. The intensity of the battles comes from the threat of death, and easy would all but eliminate that.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no affinity for the original DOOM and love this new one (never had a PC that could play it, though I have played it before). If it says anything, this new Doom actually reminds me of a cross between the original Halo and Metroid Prime.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go as far as to say it being so good has NOTHING to do with nostalgia for the old games, or anything at all. It's DOOM if it were made in 2016 but that doesn't mean it's not its own entity.

Also whoever plays this game on easy is doing it completely wrong. Half the reason the game is so fun is because it's so chaotic and it makes you be constantly moving and shooting at all times. You don't get that on easy mode.

dendrick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend it. I think the game stands out on its own as a fun action game, regardless of franchise. I didn't play the early doom games and I never felt left out at any point.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: @justin258: I never liked middle difficulties to be honest; it's either full easy, or full hard (unless it's difficulties like this games ultra-nightmare where you die and then start from the beginning). After I finish it on easy, I will try nightmare, which is what I generally do with games. That all said, while I may find it a bit more enjoyable, I can tell I still won't see the game as one of the best (or the best) shooters from the past ten years or what have you. Currently playing Blood and Wine though, so it'll be a while before I go back to Doom.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fucking great!

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's absolutely worth it, it's just a top-to-bottom great game.

However, and I don't want to be be THAT guy, but why not go and check out one of the originals? Doom 1 and 2 still hold up today as fun games. You don't have to play the entire campaign or anything, just give it 30 minutes or something. And don't use mouselook, you're not supposed to be able to look up and down. Just hold down run, use the arrow keys, and fuck some monsters up. As it turns out, it doesn't get old.

(i lied, i totally wanted to be that guy)

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid, I was a huge wimp. The original Doom used to freak me out. As I got older I went back and played it (after playing through Half-Life) and I really didn't enjoy it at all. I got frustrated with how often I died. I played Doom 3 when i came out and found it frustrating because of how dark it was.

That being said, Doom (this one) is fantastic. The level design is super smart, the game is insanely fast . When you clear out a horde of enemies, you feel like a total badass. This game has made me want to go back and play the original Doom/Doom II again.

There is a lot in this game that many future FPS games will need to borrow from. The entrie time I was playing it was more like "This is how shooters should be". Probably the most i've enjoyed a shooter since Bioshock Infinite.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Justin258

@ntm said:

@csl316: @justin258: I never liked middle difficulties to be honest; it's either full easy, or full hard (unless it's difficulties like this games ultra-nightmare where you die and then start from the beginning). After I finish it on easy, I will try nightmare, which is what I generally do with games. That all said, while I may find it a bit more enjoyable, I can tell I still won't see the game as one of the best (or the best) shooters from the past ten years or what have you. Currently playing Blood and Wine though, so it'll be a while before I go back to Doom.

Man, I can't imagine playing games like that.

That all said, while I may find it a bit more enjoyable, I can tell I still won't see the game as one of the best (or the best) shooters from the past ten years or what have you

Why not? I'm not really going to argue, I'm just curious. I've seen a handful of people say that Doom is boring but I can't think of any reason why it would be. EDIT: Sorry, you totally answered this above. But, seriously, this:

but playing on easy is nearly too mindless

is clearly the problem right here. On lower difficulties, you can just shotgun/super shotgun your way through the entire thing if you're at all familiar with first person shooters. On Ultra-Violence and Nightmare, you have to pretty much use everything.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I didn't say Doom was 'boring', I just said it wasn't one of the best shooters in the last ten years, or ever (especially ever). I take issue more with how people use original, and how good it is in the same sentence, when the game isn't that original. It's just a well made game that we've seen before; it's blending other games together as always and doing those aspects well, shooting perhaps above all else. I always start on easy first, then play hard later. I was thinking about going ultra-violence, but then after that, my motivation to want to play on Nightmare probably wouldn't be there; I would have felt like I got what I wanted out of it, because the difficulties aren't that far apart in how you'd play I assume. Playing on easy, getting used to the game, seeing what it has to offer, then going to hard which makes you have added focus and puts intensity into it is what I want; not a challenge, and then slightly more of a challenge.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Justin258

@ntm said:

@justin258: I didn't say Doom was 'boring', I just said it wasn't one of the best shooters in the last ten years, or ever (especially ever). I take issue more with how people use original, and how good it is in the same sentence, when the game isn't that original. It's just a well made game that we've seen before; it's blending other games together as always and doing those aspects well, shooting perhaps above all else. I always start on easy first, then play hard later. I was thinking about going ultra-violence, but then after that, my motivation to want to play on Nightmare probably wouldn't be there; I would have felt like I got what I wanted out of it, because the difficulties aren't that far apart in how you'd play I assume. Playing on easy, getting used to the game, seeing what it has to offer, then going to hard which makes you have added focus and puts intensity into it is what I want; not a challenge, and then slightly more of a challenge.

Poor wording, I didn't mean that you thought it was boring, just saying that I've seen a handful of people mention thinking it was boring.

I don't think I've seen many people call it "original". You're right in that it's not particularly original - instead, it takes two decade's worth of FPS advancements and improvements, picks out the absolute best parts, and mixes them up in (what is to me) an extremely impressive refinement of everything the genre is and has been in the past - fitting, for the sequel to the games that laid down the framework for first person shooters.

because the difficulties aren't that far apart in how you'd play I assume

Ultra-Violence is pretty hard, but Nightmare is way harder. I wouldn't say it feels impossible, but you definitely have to give it your all to make it anywhere. The higher difficulties absolutely change the way you play - you have to be way more mindful of your position relative to every other enemy, along with how much ammo you have and what you can do to pull yourself out of whatever mess you're currently in while ensuring that the next mess you find yourself into is at least a tiny bit better. On Hurt Me Plenty, you can mostly cruise through the game with the Super Shotgun, only occasionally using the Gauss Cannon or the Chaingun when things get hairy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.