1 million + dollar tournament for DotA 2 in this years gamescom.

#1 Edited by picklecannon (265 posts) -
#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11847 posts) -

I bet what they really mean though, is that it's 1 million dollars worth of hats :o

#3 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Fml thats a lot of money. Excited to see it. Wonder how how many characters will be available to select from.

#4 Posted by SSully (4159 posts) -

That is a hell of a way to reveal the game for the first time.

#5 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Holy fuck.

#6 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@SSully said:

Pretty much.

Looking forward to Gamescom even more now.

Edit - just to add Valves DOTA2 is not an acronym for defense of the ancients.
#7 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

Valve are taking this seriously. When there's two other competitors on the market (LoL and HoN) and both are well liked by their communities, you've got to make yourself stand out somehow. I've never played a DOTA game and I'm not sure DOTA 2 is going to get me any more interested than LoL or HoN did.

#8 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

wow 1 million dollars.....  that a shit ton of skrilla....  I bet it attracts people who aren't even that big into Dota, LOL, or HON.  They'll be playing and practicing just for the opportunity at that prize.

#9 Posted by KriticPDX (1 posts) -

It's an Invitational, which probably means you already have to be part of a top team.

#10 Posted by Forcen (1815 posts) -

This is so wierd and out of the blue.

But, im kinda interested in watching it.

#11 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@SSully said:

This, but I might just actually watch this tournament if it's going to be online.
#12 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@Marz said:

wow 1 million dollars..... that a shit ton of skrilla.... I bet it attracts people who aren't even that big into Dota, LOL, or HON. They'll be playing and practicing just for the opportunity at that prize.

it's in 2 weeks and 16 top dota teams are the competitors.

#13 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

Do they even know the game? 
I guess they must've had early access or that would be a stupid tourney.

#14 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

This will be too epic

#15 Edited by Kodo_Beast (131 posts) -
@mnzy said:

Do they even know the game?  I guess they must've had early access or that would be a stupid tourney.

From the Dota 2 blog. 

“The International is the first public Dota 2 event and will give the tens of millions of gamers playing Dota around the world their first look at the new game,” said Gabe Newell, president and founder of Valve. “I have had the good fortune to watch the competitors as they prepare for the tournament, and the level of play is extraordinary.”

Edit: Oh and there's also this little piece of info...

"Dota 2 will be available for the PC and Mac later this year."
#16 Edited by picklecannon (265 posts) -
@mnzy said:

Do they even know the game?  I guess they must've had early access or that would be a stupid tourney.

Gabe's quote is right there on the blog of the first link:
             “The International is the first public Dota 2 event and will give the tens of millions of gamers playing Dota around the world their first look at the new game,” said Gabe Newell, president and founder of Valve. “I have had the good fortune to watch the competitors as they prepare for the tournament, and the level of play is extraordinary.” 

The top teams are pretty much the beta testers for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.