Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

After playing 600+ hours still feeling like a noob.

Shafak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shafak

First of all I love DotA 2. It was a love at first sight for me. I was a veteran LoL player when I received my DotA 2 beta invite, since been playing it constantly. But I have a problem which might sound farcical. I still feel like a noob most of the time. I don't feel like I have come to a point which I thought I'd come to. Do you feel the same?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if that will ever go away. :) I am still seeing team combos and fights that still surprise me with the outcome.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shafak: You will come to a point where you have thousands of hours and hundreds of matches under your belt and you will still be learning. This isn't a game that you should be quick to master. There are always things to learn, strategies to try, skills to develop etc. As long as you feel like you are improving I think you are just fine.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Agreed, same position here. Although i usually do decently on heroes I played a lot, when I try a new hero it's sometimes feels like the first time I played the game. For example, I underestimated just how squishy Bounty Hunter was, and kept forgetting to use his ulti on dudes who were gonna die.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Uuuuh is this stealth spam or something, or am I the only one seeing that weird link in his post?

Edit: All good

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have played 2000 hours and I wouldn't say I feel like a noob, but definitely still learning new things every now and then. I guess it lessens over time, but that's why I love it so much, so deep and so many little new things you would have never thought of.

Shafak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
    lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@shafak There's a one-letter long link to a Turkish page about "love at first sight". If that's intentional, good on ya (though it's strange), and if it's not, then the Turkish are invading.

Shafak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shafak

@theoracleofgame: I'm Turkish myself. That is odd. It wasn't intentional. Let me edit the post then.

Shafak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
    lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@shafak said:

@funkasaurasrex: I did not put any links in the post. o_O

Weird. Between the (what appeared to be) hidden link and the recently-made account I was a little suspicious.

Anyway, dota, everybody sucks at it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I'm not sure I've done 600 hours of anything besides work.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I played a thousand hours of league before my 500 of dota. So I feel pretty comfortable. Games like these take a ridiculous time to learn though.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#15 sweep  Moderator

Sitting on 1500 hours and, while I definitely feel confident in my understanding of both the individual heroes and game in general, my awareness of professional play will always keep me pretty grounded in reality.

Everyone has good games and bad games. You're also, obviously, heavily reliant on the rest of your team - these are factors beyond your control yet dictate your supposed skill level. Personally though, your attitude is one of the most important things; I'd rather play with friends who are noobs than "professional" assholes every time. So long as you are enjoying yourself, you shouldn't worry about how skilled you are.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Akyho

@theoracleofgame: You have an extension on your web browser. These "Link in ads" are a pain. Check your extensions and addons, as you should be getting them on other sites as well on keywords.

Uninstall any that seem fishy and if that doesn't work get rid of them all and be care full about any others that push for an install.

I have played a few hundred hours. I alway enjoy the fact no 2 games are alike...sadly it is horrible when the entire team is a mess either due to inexperience, someones ego/trolling or the fate of the cards just wasn't in it and there is not even a chance to win.

Its the constant learning thats fun.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@akyho said:

@theoracleofgame: You have an extension on your web browser. These "Link in ads" are a pain. Check your extensions and addons, as you should be getting them on other sites as well on keywords.

Uninstall any that seem fishy and if that doesn't work get rid of them all and be care full about any others that push for an install.

I have played a few hundred hours. I alway enjoy the fact no 2 games are alike...sadly it is horrible when the entire team is a mess either due to inexperience, someones ego/trolling or the fate of the cards just wasn't in it and there is not even a chance to win.

Its the constant learning thats fun.

Agreed.

Im only on 400+ hours and still have a hell of a lot to learn - but the team reliance can break the game sometimes.

Had 2 russian dudes in a lane last night that spent the first 20 minutes diving in and dying intentionally (not using abilities, running past towers etc) and when they were asked 'HEY WTF ARE YOU DOING?!'
    Replied with
    "We are just feeding them a little bit to make it more challenging later, it's too easy and boring otherwise."

Of course all that really happened was the bane and sniper they were against got fed as fuck and proceeded to stomp the rest of the game out.

Then theres other games where i've been figuring out a hero for the first time, and the rest of the team has carried me through and more than made up for my shortcomings. 'Tis a fickle gamble the pub roll.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.