Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Brief Review of Heroes played

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ItBeStefYo

I thought it would be nice to share what I think of the heroes I've played so far, please share your own opinions!

• Huskar - I do badly with Huskar, the boost from having low health encourages risky and often bad play 2/5
    • Windrunner - Couldn't get a handle of her, I often missed with her arrow skill and couldnt do enough damage seemed ok though 3/5
    • Dark Seer- Loved him, strange to play but destroys hordes and has cool skills to play with, amazing team player and lane pusher 5/5
    • Lion - Great hero, Super strong ranged ult and a great stun means dead enemies 4/5
    • Nyx Assassin - Stealthy hero, interesting but I didn't find him amazingly effective 3/5
    • Meepo - Amazing hero, his ult means there are always 5 of yourself on the field which totally destroys late game 5/5
    • Razor - Pretty basic but fun enough hero that did alright for me 3/5
    • Mirana - Decent enough, pretty slow paced character i found though, meticulous 3/5
    • Juggernaut - Powerful, but to do anything you always have to get up close which is often deadly and runs out of mana quiiiickly 2/5
    • Lycanthrope - Really fun hero, can destroy towers in seconds and chase down enemies with wolf form, etc 5/5
    • Skeleton King- Basic character, easy to do well with and pretty fun, liked it 4/5
    • Tidehunter - He's okaaay, not sure I actually like him though 3/5
    • Rubik - Hated him, Only cool skill involves stealing an enemy skill which could be useless. Not good! 1/5
    • Brewmaster - I quite liked him, tanky and has some decent skills 4/5
    • Tusk - Tusk is quite entertaining and is great at getting kills, Liked him 4/5
    • Axe - Like the previous two heroes, spongy and good for finishing enemies off 4/5
    • Jakiro - You never really run out of mana, which is great but he is really slow which makes him hard to play imo 3/5
    • Chaos Knight - Pretty average, I'm sure there's more to him but I didn't enjoy it 2/5
    • Storm Spirit - Didn't like his "trap" skill and his tractor beam wasn't ever very useful 2/5
    • Vengeful Spirit - Good stun, in combo with her ult is deadly, cool! 4/5
    • Bounty Hunter - His skills that makes him invisible is a life-saver and is a great ganking tool, makes this hero. 4/5
    • Bloodseeker- Didn't really dig him, slow and a lack of skills 2/5
    • Shadow Shaman - Works great when with other heroes, pretty much dead if caught on your own 3/5
    • Drow Ranger - Her silence is great for gangbanging, and she has decent damage, kinda don't know her place 3/5
    • Undying - Meh, great for creating choke points but apart from that doesnt have much to offer 2/5
    • Sniper - Kinda basic, 2 passives and his ult does massive damage, He's pretty good I guess 3/5
    • Visage - I liked him, his skills are a little hard to use successfully but his ult which summons helpers is great 4/5
    • Warlock - Great skills, but can't really deal alot of instant damage which leads to getting ganked easily 3/5
    • Pugna - Has a great slow and some cool skills but his base attack is weak, 3/5
    • Bristleback - Pretty durable with quick charge, low mana cost, low damage skills that stack are cool 4/5
    • Broodmother - Can hold a lane on her own, lay down webs, become invisible and own 5/5
    • Lich - Never runs out of mana, and has damaging skills and his ult can take out 2 hero's by itself 4/5
    • Enchantress - Good for pushing lanes, but can't deal a lot of damage, especially late game 2/5
    • Ancient Apparition - His skills can be countered easily and aren't that powerful 2/5
    • Sand King - A nice stun and horde killer but I didn't think he was great 3/5
    • Lina - Has powerful low cost nukes that can be used together to take out enemies in seconds 5/5
    • Enigma - Slow paced and just isn't very self sufficient when against heroes, good lane pusher 2/5
    • Lifestealer - Very powerful hero but if you don't place yourself well or use your lifesteal effectively it's easy to die 4/5
    • Dazzle - Good as a healer but that doesn't come in handy when shit goes down, his other abilites are bad/meh 2/5
    • Naga Siren - Apparitions are great and her ult lets her run away from any gank easily 4/5
    • Clinkz - Speedy but quite fragile, great damage output but I got underlevelled and i'm not sure why 4/5
    • Sven - Boring early game but he can really dish out the damage in the later game 4/5
    • Doom - Really sluggish but can rake in lots of money with his skills, didn't seem great though 2/5
    • Omniknight - Good support, but rubbish in pushing lanes and harrassing enemies 3/5

I may update this later with more heroes and out of 5 ratings, ex. 5/5, 3/5. Share your own!

UPDATED with more heroes daily

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sidewalkchalk

Hahaha Meepo rec from a new player? Wow.

You should try Chaos Knight..

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

That Juggernaut description is so nonspecific that it could describe just about any melee carry.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crysack

Meepo is not really a late-game carry. He's a mid-game carry that makes use of his extra farming power to get aghs and mek up and then force down towers. He falls off during the late-game compared to other carries.

Also, I find it funny that you think Nyx, arguably the most overpowered hero in the game, is not very effective.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you need to understand how these heroes work and what their true potential/roles are. It sounds like you just picked them out randomly and decided whether you liked them or not based on how many kills you could get with them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BisonHero

I don't want to be too harsh on OP, as sure, sometimes you want to share your impressions of something. But Dota 2, LoL, SC2, etc. have been analyzed to death, so people are just going to explain all the ways these impressions are wrong. This sort of thread can be interesting for new games or lesser known games, but Dota 2 is not that.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TAFAE

It's always crazy seeing how new players who come at Dota from the angle of "I don't know any of this I'm just going to jump in" react to the game. I particularly like how matter-of-factly Rubick is dismissed here despite literally all of his abilities being off the wall crazy and useful and him being a pretty stable pick or ban since being introduced to captain's mode. A new player liking Meepo seems super nuts to me too, but might be reasonable for someone coming from Starcraft. "Meticulous" is a really good way to describe Mirana though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I lol'd hard at Rubick/Nyx/Jugg

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By golguin

All I know is Queen of Pain as she's the only character I play. Game says I've played for 130+ hours so not counting the time spent in chat or watching games it's essentially all QOP.

I've probably played more QOP than the vast majority of the Dota 2 player base unless everyone invests hundreds of hours into each hero.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon said:

I think you need to understand how these heroes work and what their true potential/roles are. It sounds like you just picked them out randomly and decided whether you liked them or not based on how many kills you could get with them.

First impressions dude....

@tafae said:

It's always crazy seeing how new players who come at Dota from the angle of "I don't know any of this I'm just going to jump in" react to the game. I particularly like how matter-of-factly Rubick is dismissed here despite literally all of his abilities being off the wall crazy and useful and him being a pretty stable pick or ban since being introduced to captain's mode. A new player liking Meepo seems super nuts to me too, but might be reasonable for someone coming from Starcraft. "Meticulous" is a really good way to describe Mirana though.

What's so crazy about Rubick's skills? And I don't come from Starcraft.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny reading all the experienced DOTA players get all nit-picky and overly critical just to show off that they know more about the game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@itbestefyo: Rubick can lift people into the air and throw them in any direction, in addition if he holds them in the air longer they can still be attacked by other heroes, super useful. Stealing spells is one of the most badass and skillful abilities in the game, depending on your knowledge and twitch reflexes rubick is easily one of the strongest characters.

Fun to read list though! I like hearing different perspectives on the heroes, I'm so ingrained into my own image of the roster by now that a breath of fresh air might make me try something else.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubik - Hated him, Only cool skill involves stealing an enemy skill which could be useless. Not good!

He's one of the most played heroes on the pro scene, so the "not good!" made part made me laugh:) I can see how new players would have a really though time with him, though.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By UlquioKani

Could you be more specific about what you liked and disliked? The amount here doesn't feel like it warrants a thread. Also, if you're trying to learn the game, I recommend not playing carries as they are hard to play and your team depends on the carry to do well.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I think this is a more or less decent guide for noobs like me to decide what heroes they should avoid/pick, And I'd like to hear other's opinions on multiple heroes aswell!

@ulquiokani: Trying to keep it brief duder

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Rubik is often considered to be a strong pick in the tournies. I know it's slim pickings, but I'm glad you enjoy Meepo so much. Huskar is always a toughy. I wonder if the next patch addresses his minor shortcomings.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people comparing low level pub games with pro games? Agreed, Rubik is one of the best supports but stealing spells from Riki, Drow, BH, Huskar or Clinkz isn't that useful. These are impressions from a beginner, they may change as time goes on.

Interesting read btw. Nice to hear some love for Dark Seer. I don't see him enough in my pub games.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In certain situations every hero is a 1/5 and at the same time a 5/5. Dota is built around hero counters. A lot of games are won or lost during the pick stage. Every hero is designed to fill a gap. You need to be able to identify what weakness your team has against your opponent, and then choose a hero that makes up for it. If you can do that effectively, every hero you ever play will be a 5/5.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squidc00kie: Sure, in some kind of magical competitive utopia where everyone is of equal skill level, so picks and counterpicks decide the whole match.

But most people are capable of making tactical errors in a game of Dota 2, so even if your team theoretically counters everything the opponent could possibly do, it's still possible that you pick bad fights or get caught out of position at key moments and still lose.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Interesting to see a new comers perspective, but like @squidc00kie said, basically every single hero in dota is viable and a huge threat in certain scenarios.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By HaroldoNVU

@bisonhero: I think this is a more or less decent guide for noobs like me to decide what heroes they should avoid/pick, And I'd like to hear other's opinions on multiple heroes aswell!

Speaking as your target audience (11 wins, little to no experience with others MOBAs) I'd say it's very bad at that as you don't have enough game knowledge . it's cool to see your perspective but I wouldn't recommend to anyone who's just starting when there's already a lot of guides written for this purpose. Try Enchantress

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Very cool idea for a thread. Its interesting to see what a new player thinks about heroes since I've been playing for over a year now so I've forgotten what its like to look at a hero with no knowledge of how thy work.

Surprised you didn't like Nyx though, hes a pretty powerful hero with a lot of offensive power. The craziest though is you loving Meepo as I have over 200 hours in the game and all I can do with him is suck and die.

I would say your list is fairly indicative of the general consensus for the heroes right now. Maybe about 1/4 of them are different from what many people think but that could be more personal taste than anything. Also don't let the more experience Dota players get you down, they can be a harsh bunch. Anyway liking the thread, keep us updated with your progress through the heroes.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Crysack

@itbestefyo said:

I don't mean to be offensive, but if you know nothing about the game yourself why on earth do you think that this constitutes a good guide for new players?

Windrunner, Nyx, Jugg, Rubick, Jakiro, CK (with the right setup), SS and Undying are all top-tier heroes while heroes such as Sniper, Broodmother and SK (and Meepo, to a certain extent) are generally considered to be sub-par.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Sure, tactical mistakes are a much larger part of the overall flow of matches in low level matches, but counters still play a huge role. Even general team composition still plays a huge role. For example, a Drow Ranger (which many new players seem to think is OP) is next to useless if no one can stun effectively on their team. A Sand King can be unstoppable, unless the other team can silence him, then he's just a scary looking paper weight.

Higher skill matches will obviously take more knowledge to play effectively, from picking your hero to attacking the ancient, but I do not believe its relegated to some unreachable utopia. Picking the right hero is as basic a skill as last hitting. You need to learn it, or you wont get better.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling you were playing Huskar totally wrong, just like a majority of people i see play him. Health steal is one of the most important things on him, second most important thing is to never stop attacking, no matter what, no matter how low your health is.

Not sure why Bloodseeker is rated so poorly either, he generally seems to be good at lower levels and ends up snowballing almost every game he's in.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crysack

I have a feeling you were playing Huskar totally wrong, just like a majority of people i see play him. Health steal is one of the most important things on him, second most important thing is to never stop attacking, no matter what, no matter how low your health is.

Not sure why Bloodseeker is rated so poorly either, he generally seems to be good at lower levels and ends up snowballing almost every game he's in.

Huskar and Bloodseeker have long been considered to be the worst heroes in the game. Whether this has changed with the current patch remains to be seen. The problem with Bloodseeker, specifically, is that he's never been particularly good at anything. He's a ganker with no lockdown, a silence which increases the enemy's auto-attack damage significantly and an ultimate which is hard-countered by teleport scrolls. Post-patch the latter issue has been partially dealt with by the new dispelling effect of his silence but he's still a sub-par ganker and an awful carry. He needs a complete remake to be viable.

Huskar has always been considered poor because his abilities are all about 1v1 fights (a rare thing in the current metagame) and he (was) totally useless before acquiring his bkb because he would simply be nuked down once he got to low health. With the new patch changes he might become viable due to the ludicrous amount of magic resistance he now acquires at low hp, but, as I said, that remains to be seen.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crysack said:

@shirogane said:

Huskar and Bloodseeker have long been considered to be the worst heroes in the game. Whether this has changed with the current patch remains to be seen. The problem with Bloodseeker, specifically, is that he's never been particularly good at anything. He's a ganker with no lockdown, a silence which increases the enemy's auto-attack damage significantly and an ultimate which is hard-countered by teleport scrolls. Post-patch the latter issue has been partially dealt with by the new dispelling effect of his silence but he's still a sub-par ganker and an awful carry. He needs a complete remake to be viable.

Huskar has always been considered poor because his abilities are all about 1v1 fights (a rare thing in the current metagame) and he (was) totally useless before acquiring his bkb because he would simply be nuked down once he got to low health. With the new patch changes he might become viable due to the ludicrous amount of magic resistance he now acquires at low hp, but, as I said, that remains to be seen.

All this stuff applies at high levels, sure, but from what i've seen of the lower levels, Bloodseeker always dominates whatever game he's in because nobody seems to know how to play against him, and since this thread is about a new player's impression i thought it was a bit strange.

Huskar is pretty much same deal at lower levels, when someone plays him right nobody seems to know what to do about him.

Then again, most of this is probably because i'm playing random games where you can't actually choose counters.

Baneland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Baneland

Nyx Assasin is an incredible ganker with a lot of strong escape mechanisms. If he snowballs he will make you have nightmares , you will wake up in a cold sweat saying "Nyx Nyx Nyx"

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crysack said:

@shirogane said:

All this stuff applies at high levels, sure, but from what i've seen of the lower levels, Bloodseeker always dominates whatever game he's in because nobody seems to know how to play against him, and since this thread is about a new player's impression i thought it was a bit strange.

Huskar is pretty much same deal at lower levels, when someone plays him right nobody seems to know what to do about him.

Then again, most of this is probably because i'm playing random games where you can't actually choose counters.

Bloodseeker is actually getting in pro games after the patch, and Huskar is getting a lot of "OP" calls from the pub players because he can reach up to 98% MR after losing about half health.

Giving heroes a x/5 rating makes no sense because they can play multiple roles, are better or worse when played in different lanes, and do better against certain comps than others.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.