Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Can I actually play this?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Doctorchimp

So I went to look at the Dota 2 page and it didn't give me the option to buy that early access pack for 30 dollars, only to buy it for a friend. Instead it was play now and I started installing it. Is it that weird spectator client? Or can I actually play this?

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shinri

I have a friend who bought that item and used it to get access for himself. I think it's an inventory item - it'll go into your inventory, you'll use it, and it'll then be added to your library.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By supamon

Yes you should be able to purchase the beta key for yourself. As above, you might have to go to your steam inventory and activate it or choose to gift it.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By bibamatt

If you didn't pay for anything, that's probably the spectator client. Steam has the game as a download now (I was all excited!), but it was just the spectator client. It didn't actually say that anywhere until it booted up. Are you in the UK? PC Gamer magazine has a code in it for beta access. That's like a fiver. You also get another two guest passes when you redeem it on Steam. It also has a free copy of Payday the Heist in it. Preeeeeeetty good.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By xdaknightx69

@Doctorchimp:

I'm pretty sure its the spectator client unless you got a email confirming your access in the beta. you can buy the "early access" here http://www.dota2.com/store/

if you don't want to spend the $30 you can apply for beta access with a laptop and you should get access within a few weeks if not days if you are in NA, but you wont get a extra invite to send to a friend.

i applied with my main gaming computer/account few months back and still haven't gotten in, i applied with a laptop after making a alt account and got in the beta after a few weeks.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ben_H
    @xdaknightx69: Why would you need a laptop to get in? It's based on account, not machine. That was likely pure coincidence.

Yeah if you download the client it will just be the spectator client unless you got accepted into the beta. Somehow I am in it even though I filled out in the survey that I had never played a DOTA game in my life and had no experience with them, just standard RTS. It's actually quite fun though. I like it a lot better than League of Legends.
    xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By xdaknightx69

@Ben_H: what i meant was that if you apply with a laptop (the hardware scan) you have a better chance of getting in. my main account has around 25+ games, is over a year old, it has been months since i applied using my PC. the alt account that i made have no games whatsoever and yet it got in before my main account did. now it could be a coincidence or it could not. i like to think its not.

since its a free to play game and majority of gamers i know cant afford a mid - high end PC or prefer gaming on their laptops because of traveling etc laptops have a higher rate of return for valve in terms of money spent by the player and they can test the game on a variety of hardware.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By indiefinch

You are able to purchase the key for yourself. If you want in instantly, do that. If you want to look for a cheaper route, check out reddit.com/r/dota2trade and make a post there looking for a beta key. The going rate for beta keys is usually about 2 to 3 in game chest keys (a single chest key is $2.50).

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mortal_sb

@Doctorchimp: i have an invite that i can give to you. pm me if you still want to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.