Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Did someone say hats?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By indiefinch

Yep. once all this stuff goes live I will be completely broke. I will probably purchase every courier...

Bring it on Valve!

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By dillonwerner

Dammit Valve, how did I not see this coming!

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By spiceninja

If I liked Dota 2 more I'd be all over this.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

If this is their F2P model, it's an AWFUL lot like the LoL one. Which I guess means that it works, so that's nothing worth complaining about.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheHT

OK Valve, I've never been into your hat bullshit, but I'd buy a Dr. Kleiner announcer pack in an instant.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Oh god, this game just got so much better

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator

That drow bundle looks fucking cool:

I also like a lot of the Jug and Bloodseeker stuff. I'm not sure sure about the ridiculous cowboy shit for Ursa, though:

There's a poll about it on the Dota2 dev forums and most people seem to agree that, while "hats" are fine, a lot of the items there are too gaudy. There are a lot of specific complaints about the Blademother item for example, but I think that looks fucking badass:

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CheapPoison

@nintendoeats: I hope it is nothing like the league of legends one. And it is different enough i feel to not have the same traps.

And for me some things look to goofy, but then again some other stuff looks absolutely great, like the substitute mask for juggernaught and the weapons.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats

@CheapPoison said:

@nintendoeats: I hope it is nothing like the league of legends one. And it is different enough i feel to not have the same traps.

What are your issues with the LoL F2P model? I've always held it up as the standard by which others should be judged (aside from %&%#$% rune pages), what have I missed?

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By indiefinch

@nintendoeats said:

If this is their F2P model, it's an AWFUL lot like the LoL one. Which I guess means that it works, so that's nothing worth complaining about.

Nah it is nothing like the LoL F2P Model. LoL has an amazing set of skins for characters, I have zero gripe with that. However what I do have gripe with is the pricing of champions and runes. After Leona, all new champions have been the max RP/IP. The model works great if you can go about your own pace to unlock characters / runes you want, but for some people that doesn't cut it. For a while I was playing competitively and my team wanted everyone to have most of the champions and all of the runes. So I pretty much dropped 150$/200$ at least on the game over a really short time period.

Dota is based around the draft. If you don't have a certain hero, then you are not able to compete. Other team picks an Anti-Mage and no one on your team has any counters? Well GG the game is over. Selling cosmetic items though, doesn't effect the gameplay.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By J12088

I wish i could play DOTA2. Valve dont seem to want to give me a beta key.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CheapPoison

@nintendoeats: I really don't like the rune pages and the fact that you have to buy champions.

Rune pages in a way have very little effect on the model just that you kind have to spend your ip there to at leas get an even playing field. So it just affects it but only in a minor way. But the way you play these games i feel it really is against the enjoyment and flow to lock you out of champions. With counters picks and good balanced teams which you won't get unless you play with the same 5 people all the time and specialize in a role. then again i must say i feel in Lol you might have a better change getting away with it then in hon and dota( cause of the way champs scale and works and all that)

But It just ticks me off after a long while and even putting in money you can't just keep up without sinking more and more money in constantly, which is what the want but. I Feel it becomes to much at that point.

But they certainly have an acceptable balance( i put money in and have a ton of matches played in it). And the certainly handle it better then some other free to play games and especially shooters. Cause i fele a lot of the time in there it is just unlocking better guns and equipment. Here there is at least close to what seems balance. (I mean if you only got 10 champs at least they won't be noticable worse then someone who completely decked out his equipment or class in some of the free to play games.

I kind ahave the same gripes with the system ad Indiefinch just 2 posts above me it seems. Also I still feel a bit sour about them systematically bumping up the ip price for heroes, Which i wouldn't mind if the price of a hero in money was close to 3 or 4€ instead of closer to 7€ (but don't hold me to that price it has been a while since i checked and made the switch between money and rp so i am not too accurate on how much)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

That sells it, I have to play DOTA2 now.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@IndieFinch said:

@nintendoeats said:

Nah it is nothing like the LoL F2P Model. LoL has an amazing set of skins for characters, I have zero gripe with that. However what I do have gripe with is the pricing of champions and runes. After Leona, all new champions have been the max RP/IP. The model works great if you can go about your own pace to unlock characters / runes you want, but for some people that doesn't cut it. For a while I was playing competitively and my team wanted everyone to have most of the champions and all of the runes. So I pretty much dropped 150$/200$ at least on the game over a really short time period.

Dota is based around the draft. If you don't have a certain hero, then you are not able to compete. Other team picks an Anti-Mage and no one on your team has any counters? Well GG the game is over. Selling cosmetic items though, doesn't effect the gameplay.

It is now officially confirmed all the heroes are free.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By jimi

Looks incredible, I just hope that they don't include any skins that are too distracting. The most infamous case of this is the DLC Blanka skin in sf4 which made it impossible to actually read his moves half the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.