Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Do you enjoy playing or watching Dota 2?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Poll Do you enjoy playing or watching Dota 2? (209 votes)

Yes 62%
    No 37%

Let's keep this one simple. For the purposes of this poll, I'm going to assume that everyone here has either played Dota 2, or has seen at least one stream of it either on Giant Bomb or elsewhere.

Do you like playing or watching Dota 2, or both? Why or why not? I'm going to leave my own response for later to avoid influencing the poll at all in the beginning.

• 
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I voted yes, but really it's sometimes.

I played it for a month and I get why it's popular, but like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 tournament I don't find those games fun to play much more than I did. Watching can be funny sometimes, but it's not something I find enjoyable to watch regularly.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Not at all. I barely know anything about the game and to me, watching it just seems like a load of nonsense. It just looks like a bunch of characters casting magic spells and...stuff...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Played a few matches, kinda liked it.

Watched Brad play a couple times, found it semi-amusing.

I don't watch or play Dota anymore.

Sooooo... yes-ish? Kinda?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No, because it's boring and overly complicated.

Don't scream at me about how I'm wrong. That's just my impression of it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ben_H

Yes* and yes.

*only in 4-5 stacks. I do not enjoy pub games unless it is me being matched with a 3+ stack of people. I do quite enjoy the strategy behind the game. I find learning about the strategy of dota more interesting than playing the game itself. I do view having friends that play it an essential component to enjoying it. I would have not played more than a few games had I not been grouped up with someone I knew in real life and their friends.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nope. Dota is in the same pile with professional wrestling, the I don't care in any way pile. Unfortunate for me since those 2 things are plastered all over this website.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Playing. I personally feel like most pro matches tend to be rather sterile and 99% of streamers are just playing mediocre, regular-ass-regular DotA. I'm far from a god-tier player so if I wanted to see some regular-ass-regular DotA, I'd just load up the game myself.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Nope.

I don't play that much multiplayer in general and if i do mobas are pretty far down the list of things i'd play.

As for watching, if i were to consider content regularly featured on this site, i find Dota 2 is by far the most tedious to watch. More so than point and click adventures. It's one of the most boring video game related viewing experience.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#10 riostarwind  Moderator

I can't say I like to watch or play Dota 2. It just never seemed interesting to watch even when I tried to watch a few matches during the international. Although I can say that watching Brad fall deeper into the Dota pit can be rather amusing sometimes.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

Yes*

*Sort of. I actually just wrote up a blog that I need to edit and format so it looks pretty. It's certainly unique.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never played Dota, but I have watched quite a few hours of some let's players casually play the game with each other. I have tried watching competitive matches, but I just didn't find the commentators entertaining. I still don't know who a lot of the heroes are, what abilities they have, and what items do. Also, the matches can drag on, but sometimes I'm into that. Its a very interesting game, and if any game deserves to be considered a sport its Dota 2.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Erm... I voted No, but that's not entirely accurate. I've put on Daily Dota now and again as background TV when playing a handheld or browsing, I appreciate Brad's enthusiasm, even if I don't fully understand the game's intricacies and he seems like he kinda sucks at it. I could be way off on that, I'm no expert. I also put it on some times as... fall asleep to it background TV. It is kinda boring, you know?

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah its fun to play or at least was, I haven't played any dota the last 5 years. Played it weekly for a year or so but I don't have the same friends or time to start playing it again.

As for watching, no don't really enjoy it, I don't know why but I haven't been grabbed by esports as a spectator.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I'm admining for the Giant Bomb community tournament, so that would be a definitive yes.

It's a fantastic game, been playing since the DotA AllStars days.

LunatiCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive also been playing since dota alltstar days. so its safe to say I like dota.

I don't like watching it though, I find it boring to watch. But I realize, all the games I play be it irl sports or on a computer - I don't enjoy watching.

daveleclair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been finding lately that I enjoy watching more than playing, but both are enjoyable.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yup! It's great. Currently participating in the GB community tournament.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By churrific

I used to enjoy playing, but I got bored of it when my friends fell off. And I don't really enjoy watching Dota itself, but I "watch" all the Dota content on the site for Brad, Crispy, et al. It's become more like a niche, aimless podcast for me where I'm just listening to them, not actually watching.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Shaunage

I like playing it, but I like watching it even more.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#21 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Don't particularly care for it, either watching or playing. I have a very similar reason as @jeff in that it's like they took my least favorite part of RTS's and made that into a game.

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch far more Dota 2 than I play. This is a concern because I've played well beyond a thousand hours of Dota 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I want to play a moba, I play League of Legends because it's significantly easier to play (and ARAM is SO much more fun than the normal modes). However, if I want to watch a moba, I'll ALWAYS pick DOTA2 over LoL because it's so much more engaging and intense. It's more complex, the pro scene has a much higher hero diversity, and since DOTA2 has buybacks, losing a team fight doesn't automatically mean you lose the game.

So I voted yes.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

With 1526 hours on it I better enjoy it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've played the tutorials and a few bot games. While not representative of the nuance of playing against actual people I didn't find it super fun.

If I had to choose I'd rather attempt to play more DOTA 2 rather than watch any of it. Since I don't know the characters and "deep" game mechanics, viewing matches like Brads Daily DOTA is just super boring and confusing.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like watching other people play Dota, especially if there is some sort of commentary behind it.

I really dislike playing Dota, though.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope. The time investment for getting good seems to not be worth it for me, at least as far as playing myself is concerned. I barely ever play competitive online games without the ambition to become, at the very least, above average at it.

I watched some DOTA 2 when GB and Totalbiscuit featured the game. But most of my time watching someone play games is spent either checking out singleplayer stuff for games I might buy or want more information about, or watching good competitive players go in-depth about games I'm competing in myself.

I gave "WC3-Mod DOTA" an honest try back in the day but that never grabbed me beyond it being an impressively ambitious modding effort. Games like Company of Heroes and, to a smaller extent, Dawn of War already give me the micro-heavy unit management without constantly playing a small-scale city builder on the side. I can appreciate that upgrade paths for your hero in DOTA might be as deep as navigating CoH's upgrade- and tech-tree but I still vastly prefer to lead a small battle group into combat and enjoy all that tactical depth of bait-and-switch as well as flanking instead of all those decisions becoming manifest in a single unit. Just personal preference of course.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried to, I really have. I love me some professional Starcraft 1 and 2 match ups, and EVO is always great, but I find DotA just incredibly dull to watch. I've consumed some of the supposedly 'best' matchups and it still just seems like whoever busts that first tower down gets the upper hand and wins the game. There's rarely comebacks and that just sucks all the tension and excitement out of it for me. Just typing this makes me want to give it another go, but I know I'll be bored stiff five minutes in.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lashe

I had no interest until The International 4, but the presentation of the game, great commentary and production value really grabbed me.

I honestly think the learning curve isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I have about 25 hours logged on Steam and I have been able to hold my own with teammates with 1000+ hrs. I have spent a decent amount of time outside of the game reading some guides, tips, etc, but I feel pretty confident jumping into matchmaking at this point.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Guys, this dota thing is pretty cool. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play it every now and then but not as much as before. Weirdly enough I lost all my Dota-energy right around the time I bought the Compendium for TI4. I still think it's a great game and I still watch a few streams. When I find the time and focus I will probably get deep into it again. As of now, some low level Diablo 3 is enough for me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played about two games since 2011.

It's a pretty good video game.

Loading Video...

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll watch streams of it but I have no interest in investing the hundreds of hours it takes to get good at the game. I've played maybe 15 bot matches and a few real ones and just been frustrated at my lack of knowing what to do when.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I an inhuman monster?

Of course not. DOTA 2 is the devil's juice, good sir!

To be honest, while I have enjoyed some DOTA 2 games when Brad and his team are playing or during the Finals of the International, I can not really stand watching it normally. Kind of like how some movies are only enjoyable when it's the middle of a Sunday afternoon and nothing else is on. It has to be the right time or a particular situation for me to enjoy DOTA.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I've enjoyed my time with Dota 2, but also quickly ran up against the "Oh, man, everything is so arcane and it'll take 1500 hours for me to be able to actually play this" wall. As for watching... well, I need to care about either the player or caster personalities to a fair extent before investing any time there. For instance, I've seen most episodes of The Daily/Occasional Dota, but not one full game from tournaments like The International.

Which is to say: I abstain.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Enjoy is probably too much of a positive word to be describing Dota 2 or the act of playing/watching it. Suffering, despair, sadness, frustration, pain, those are more appropriate words.

But, yeah, Dota 2 is awesome.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TooSweet

I enjoy watching some of it. Particularly that big tournament that just happened. Anything I watch after would be a video on how a character plays so I can learn how it plays. I'm enjoying the game immensely but now that people are getting a bit tougher I'm going to move away from limited heroes since folks have a nasty habit of abandoning games.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably watch far more than I play at this point. I'll have a few games now and again.

The teams are starting to come back together again after the post TI reshuffle and the bigger tournaments are starting again so there are some awesome games on.

AlchemistZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlchemistZer0

Yes & yes Watching teaches me things I may have not known and I just enjoy organized dota. After watching I want to play it amps me up a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just doesn't interest me that much. I was super into watching SC2 and Counterstrike for a while, so I tried watching some LoL a few years ago at IPL. It's essentially the same game (to everyone that doesn't play), and it didn't do much for me. I understand the game and appreciate what good players are doing, but watching any MOBA bores me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.