Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Do you use a microphone?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Do you use a microphone? (107 votes)

Open Mic: I talk all the time. 7%
    Open Mic: Silence, except when needed. 5%
    Open Mic: You'll only ever hear my keyboard and heavy breathing. 2%
    Push-to-Talk: I talk all the time. 12%
    Push-to-talk: Silence, except when needed. 25%
    Push-to-talk: I might as well not have a mic. 25%
    I don't have a mic. 21%

I've noticed a lack of people using microphones in DOTA 2. Seeing as it's a very team-oriented game, I find this rather shocking. Maybe it's just a result of performance anxiety, or just nobody has a microphone... but outside of a few "Good Game" or "CHIABLO, STOP FEEDING", I usually hear silence from my teammates.

What's your microphone situation?

• 
    EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I use Push-To-Talk with a head set but many times I never need to talk in casual matches.

UselessLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted "I don't have a mic" though that's not entirely true. I play on my laptop though and I can't be bothered to set up my Astros every time I want to play Dota. When I'm going to be on for an extended period (doesn't happen too often) then I'd be more tempted. Need to have a permanent base with them setup really. I'd definitely have them on if I could. I'd probably leave it open mic, always chatting. Would rather not have another key to be pressing! Already got enough in Dota

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I ramble. Open mic, I am to old to handle Dota and an additional button. This is 2013 - don't be a dick and use a mic. I greatly prefer playing with talking people. Actually so much I kinda want to filter people by it. Why play a multiplayer game if you do not communicate. And don't say you chat. This is 2013!

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel said:

I ramble. Open mic, I am to old to handle Dota and an additional button. This is 2013 - don't be a dick and use a mic. I greatly prefer playing with talking people. Actually so much I kinda want to filter people by it. Why play a multiplayer game if you do not communicate. And don't say you chat. This is 2013!

And you are kinda the reason I don't play online and stay bot only. I'm playing a game and whether or not I use a mic while having fun on my down time shouldn't mean anything to you. I've been kicked/yelled at for trying to play online games without a mic, why can't you just focus on what you are doing and I'll focus on what I am doing?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@wuddel said:

And you are kinda the reason I don't play online and stay bot only. I'm playing a game and whether or not I use a mic while having fun on my down time shouldn't mean anything to you. I've been kicked/yelled at for trying to play online games without a mic, why can't you just focus on what you are doing and I'll focus on what I am doing?

Because Dota is a team game and the success/fun you are having is greatly influenced by your ability to communicate with each other. Don't get me wrong. I am really putting an effort into not being a dick on the internet in general and online games specifically. I do not hate on you for not talking. But understand that my ability to have fun with the game and enjoy myself is diminished by your conscious decision not to use a mic. That's cool. As I said I really would like a filter option.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel: It sounds like you need a daily dota type "crew". It is simply unfair to expect any PuGs or random people to play a certain way because it is the way you want them to.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I can't remember using the ingame voice chat system. Like, at all.

I do however promote and appreciate the use of skype with friendly duders, open mic and a fair bit of talking!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I have a mic but i dont use it because there is nothing I need to say on mic and its really for my work computer. Its funny how some people don't seem to read chat =P

I also find the elitist "must use a mic, grr" attitude around this game to be nonsense. I have won plenty of games and I don't need a mic. Only person who needs a mic is the person who has actual strategies. Which, most of the time, is no one.

When I go pro I'll take using a mic more seriously.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have a microphone but i never use it. Truth is, i'm still pretty new at Dota2 (under 50 games) and people in pub matches are assholes who i have no interest in talking to. The Dota2 community (outside of GB chat) is really awful from my experiences.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in skype with the people I'm playing with. I try to not talk to the trash that is most of the Dota community.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I appreciate friendly duders playing Dota with a mic, but don't use one myself. It's been kind of an explicit policy since Halo 2 days that, unless it is with friends, I will never plug in my mic to speak/listen to other players. A lot of really hateful, racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. comments come in with team games and I'm not interested in having that in my ear.

Also, and I don't know if this has been anyone else's experience, but the chatter in pub games (mic or otherwise) devolves into telling how much everyone else sucks or is in Portuguese or Russian. Telling people they suck is not useful for anyone :(

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm usually the weird one thats talks alot in game. Even if it just amounts to "oh god Im dying!" I usually try to say something. Although lately I've been playing mostly with people I know so communication is key.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel said:

Because DOTA is a very team oriented game, so making sure the entire team is working together and communicating is pretty important.

FrenchClub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By FrenchClub

One trick to avoid people acting like jerks is to mute voice chat. People are much more likely to treat others like shit if they don't have to go through the trouble of typing it and there isn't a written record of what they say. One thing about DOTA is that no matter what you're doing someone else would have done something different. Having that buffer of the effort of typing makes it so they'll only let you know when you're really messing up.

Voice chat is awesome and super useful when I play with my friends though but we usually just run that as a steam group call.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I use a mic. Dota is a game that becomes exponentially more fun the better your team works together, so while having a few micless people on the team doesn't necessarily ruin it, you should probably have one or two guys willing to talk and "lead" the team.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No but I'm going to try to pick up a decent mic tomorrow. I don't imagine saying much other than calling out things and the occasional suggestion though.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@drxlecter: you not communicating at all can be a huge handicap for your team. At the very least the chat wheel is fine to call missing or tell people when you are pushing. But like everyone has said, Dota is extremely team oriented and just knowing what people want to do or plan to do is extremely helpful. A simple sentence could increase your chance of a successful gank immensely.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DrxLecter

@sackmanjones: Hence why I play with bots... I enjoy playing games the way I want to play them, not be dictated to play them a certain way simply because someone else wants me to(or demands me to)...

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Iodine

When I play with GB duders, especially ones I know better, I never shut up

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm usually Skyping with my buds in game

I only talk to randoms if necessary. Chatter is distracting.

Cimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always use a mic! I really get frustrated when people give me crap in game about missing something when it would've been clearer had they given me a heads up over the mic. Talk people!

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mic usage seems to increase with player skill. Once you get out of the very low level matches more and more people use mics, and use them appropriately.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.