dont understand all the hype

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

wtf is with all the hype for this game? i've been playing vids for at least 20 years and never have i heard of "dota", then all of a sudden outta the blue every website or magazine i read is "dota this" and "dota that". really, what the f**k is a dota??!!!??! is it really just a mod for warcraft 3? really?? people are really getting this excited for a sequel to a mod?! jesus christ, how starved for games are PC gamers that they'd get all bent outta shape for a sequel to a mod?

and really, all the descriptions(including giant bombs) and stuff i've read for the game either don't explain anything at all, or make it sound like the lamest, dumbest most simplistic game to ever get this much coverage. first i've seen it referred to as a MOBA, as if a f*****g "moba" was a genre. second of all, the giant bomb description describes it: "players control individual hero characters and defend their base against waves of computer-controlled monsters and five opposing player-heroes" really? thats it? its a f*****g game where you play a character defending some arbitrary somethingrather from some arbitrary computer controlled somethingrathers? and this just goes on indefinitely? wow. sounds awesome. sounds like my game of the year. sounds like something i'd need to write endless articles and hype stories about. and its a SEQUEL to a MOD. awesome.

...wtf?????

#2 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Team Fortress 2 was essentially a sequel to a mod, and look at that. Dota's the sequel to a mod, now backed by a full development team/cycle. I don't think you understand the scope of this at all though, and I can't read this post without imagining you frothing at the mouth.

#3 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why would you make an account just to post this.

#4 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

You realize Team Fortress was also a mod, and Counter-Strike was also a mod, and Red Orchestra was also a mod? Should people not be allowed to be excited for those either?

You sound like a child by the way.

#5 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

First sentence I was surprised by your ignorance for someone who has played "vids" for at least 20 years.

After that, I recognized the smell of a most heinous creature, the dreaded TROLL!

#6 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5323 posts) -

Oh fuck off with that attitude.

#7 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

Grrrrrrr!   Somebody made a game that doesn't appeal to me.

#8 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

@jking47 said:

First sentence I was surprised by your ignorance for someone who has played "vids" for at least 20 years.

After that, I recognized the smell of a most heinous creature, the dreaded TROLL!

Only dreaded when they're bad. Like this example here. Now where's the fire...

#9 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

Well, I can't really explain the appeal of the genre, but I think I can tell you why people are excited for DOTA 2 specifically.

So, DOTA's super popular, and those on the outside think "Shit, that game must be good, I should try it out." But since it's kind of old, and there are newer (and, some would argue, better) alternatives, they decide to try LoL or HoN. More often than not, they suck it up pretty hard to start with, and get yelled at by the wonderful community. Now they're thinking "Fuck, the game seems like it could be fun, but everybody's so fucking good at it that I have no chance." Then DOTA 2 gets announced, and the thought process turns to something like "YEAH NEW DOTA! Now the playing field will be leveled, and I can finally jump in from the get-go. It's gonna be awesome!"

Except these people are deluding themselves if they think the people who are crazy good at other MOBAs won't be crazy good at DOTA 2 from day one.

#10 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

hahahah you guys are funny. instead of responding to what i said thoughtfully and with facts, you people say i'm a "troll." funny. anyone who speaks up against a game is immediately labeled a "troll" by said game's fans. i didnt even speak out against it, i just said its a sequel to a mod which seems pathetic to me for people to get hyped about. team fortress 2 was a sequel to a mod too, but it was packaged with 4 other games in the orange box, so that's a totally irrelevant and useless response. nobody cared about counterstrike except 13 year old asian kids, and i have no idea what red orchestra is.

all i'm doing is asking why this random sequel to a mod to a 5+ year old game is getting so much hype and coverage, and if it's because of the otherwise barren PC gaming landscape. and you people got offended by that for some reason. interesting.

and to the idiot who said i sound like a child: cause i said i've been playing vids for over 20 years, have excellent grammar and a bigger vocabulary than you. but since i'm not as hyped for this sequel to a mod as you are, i must be a child. that's so idiotic i don't even know where to start.

#11 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@AyKay_47: so in other words, yes, the reason people are excited for this is cause of the otherwise barren PC gaming landscape. cause i know personally if a game came out on a console i had but it was too hard or old or whatever, i'd give it up and move on to the next awesome game coming out. in the case of PC gaming, i now understand why you people would look forward to a sequel to a mod so hard: cause nothing else of note is coming out any time soon. so i guess if i was a PC-only gamer i'd be excited too about a sequel to a mod to a 5+ year old game.

and as for "dota" being "super popular"? haha yeah, not quite.

#12 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Who do you think games are developed by? Do you think there is much of a difference between the people who develop commercial releases and mods? Half the people who made Quake were people taken on because they had made popular Doom levels, and that's how nearly every Valve game is made nowadays anyway.

#13 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why are you so ignorant and why can't you spell anything.

#14 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

and to the idiot who said i sound like a child: cause i said i've been playing vids for over 20 years, have excellent grammar and a bigger vocabulary than you. but since i'm not as hyped for this sequel to a mod as you are, i must be a child. that's so idiotic i don't even know where to start.

No, you are acting like a child, I never even said you are a child, you're just acting like one.. and as I said, by your logic people aren't allowed to look forward to Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, or Red Orchestra.

Also, this.

@Muerthoz said:

Grrrrrrr! Somebody made a game that doesn't appeal to me.
#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Flagged.

Fuck off.

#16 Posted by ArcLyte (887 posts) -
@SturmMajere said:

wtf is with all the hype for this game? i've been playing vids for at least 20 years and never have i heard of "dota", then all of a sudden outta the blue every website or magazine i read is "dota this" and "dota that". really, what the f**k is a dota??!!!??! is it really just a mod for warcraft 3? really?? people are really getting this excited for a sequel to a mod?! jesus christ, how starved for games are PC gamers that they'd get all bent outta shape for a sequel to a mod?

and really, all the descriptions(including giant bombs) and stuff i've read for the game either don't explain anything at all, or make it sound like the lamest, dumbest most simplistic game to ever get this much coverage. first i've seen it referred to as a MOBA, as if a f*****g "moba" was a genre. second of all, the giant bomb description describes it: "players control individual hero characters and defend their base against waves of computer-controlled monsters and five opposing player-heroes" really? thats it? its a f*****g game where you play a character defending some arbitrary somethingrather from some arbitrary computer controlled somethingrathers? and this just goes on indefinitely? wow. sounds awesome. sounds like my game of the year. sounds like something i'd need to write endless articles and hype stories about. and its a SEQUEL to a MOD. awesome.

...wtf?????

congratulations, you've just made the worst post on the internet.
#17 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish -- nice try, but i literally didn't spell a single word wrong in a single one of my posts.

so for someone to see correctly spelled words and think they're spelled wrong...well, i think we've found out who's ignorant here.

#18 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: you too. for what it's worth. (nothing)

#19 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

@NekuSakuraba: you too. for what it's worth. (nothing)

Sorry, but what do you want me to say if you are just trolling and trying to get attention?

You'll be banned soon enough.

#20 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@CL60: read my fucking comments, idiot. i specifically address the three games you mention.

and i didn't say a single thing about what people "should be allowed" to look forward to. i just said i think it's kinda weird for a sequel to a mod to a 5+ year old game to get the amount of hype and press it's gotten. i've read articles about this thing everywhere, and still have no idea why its being so hyped.

#21 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

@CL60: read my fucking comments, idiot. i specifically address the three games you mention.

and i didn't say a single thing about what people "should be allowed" to look forward to. i just said i think it's kinda weird for a sequel to a mod to a 5+ year old game to get the amount of hype and press it's gotten. i've read articles about this thing everywhere, and still have no idea why its being so hyped.

And your response was equally as stupid as your original post, and made literally no sense considering how successful all 3 games currently are.

Again, you're acting like a child, but I guess that doesn't matter, you're clearly just trolling right now.

#22 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5323 posts) -

@SturmMajere: People aren't going to write a well thought out and intellectual response to a post filled with vitriol towards the game and it's fans when they have done nothing wrong to you. The people who actually have written things that explain their excitement for the game you just blew off because you can't handle the fact that other people would like a game that you don't. You come in and make a post to incite people with rage using insults with no capitalization at all outside of saying Fuck. So yes you are acting like a child and I'm sure everyone in this thread has flagged you so good bye.

#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@SturmMajere said:

@LordXavierBritish -- nice try, but i literally didn't spell a single word wrong in a single one of my posts.

so for someone to see correctly spelled words and think they're spelled wrong...well, i think we've found out who's ignorant here.

You're right I was just dumbfounded by your ability to construct full sentences without using capitalization and just being a douche to everyone who doesn't agree with you.

You ask why a game is so hyped and then don't even bother to look into it, all you've said so far is "It's a 5+ year old mod" and then deny moba is a genre when there are literally five major games already out or about to be released calling themselves just that with millions of fans and sponsored tournaments happening like every other fucking week.

You couldn't have spent more than 2 minutes on wikipedia to have formed such a weak fucking conception of what DotA is.
#24 Posted by smokeyd123 (330 posts) -

@SturmMajere:I don't really care about your opinions, but I do have a quick question.

Why did you censor fucking in your first post? That takes more effort than actually typing it.

Good day sir.

#25 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2131 posts) -

@SturmMajere: A lot of people just want to play an updated version of an old game they love. That's pretty much it and this alone makes people excited enough for such a game.

I have a similar problem understanding why people really like each new CoD when hardly much has changed aside from being more and more catering to a demographic that I loathe (of course that does not represent the whole consumer-base), but then again I'm also looking forward to Skyrim and I can see some people not liking it because fundamental aspects of the game have not changed enough for them to get into it.

It's just differences in taste mate. This one sentence could be used to (sort of) answer almost every thread created which questions why people are into certain things. Of course so long as we are given the ability to think, there will always be another that will ask this question yet again (which isn't bad at all really as it's good to question), though preferably without sounding distasteful (sorry to say but it's really easy to see people taking offense at your text-based mannerisms alone).

#26 Posted by fodigga (123 posts) -

@SturmMajere: It is obvious that you have no intention of being a reasonable person and discovering what DoTA actually is or maybe doing some research into the origin of the game and all the developments since then. Your attempt to belittle the textual description of the mechanics of these games without putting an inkling of thought into what those words mean makes you seem like an unintelligent man. I would also have to strongly disagree with your sentiment that PC gaming is devoid of good games. I have only recently gotten into PC gaming, but from where I stand there are hundreds of excellent games out there to be played, consisting of both original indie games as well as many of the most popular console games on the market.

I, myself have never played DoTA but I had the interest and wherewithal to see what MOBAs are all about. So I would suggest to you that you should seek out Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends and try those out for a few hours. They are both free games, representative of the genre, and if you have any interest at all in Action RPGs or Strategy games then I think you will have fun.

#27 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

have excellent grammar

Hahaha. You're a funny guy.

#28 Posted by SSully (4239 posts) -

Do yourself a favor and go download league of legends. There are other dota type games, but I perfer this one. It is free and a pretty good indication of what a dota game is like.

#29 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

@SturmMajere: I really don't think this should be dignified with a response, howvever... DOTA is one of the biggest mods to ever come out for a video game (also see: Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, and Counter-Strike). The fact that you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it isn't. The fact that you don't seem to understand and then proceed to ask why people care is to not understand math and ask why we use it (extreme imperfect analogy, I know, but follow me here). To know what DOTA is, go to the following links: http://www.playdota.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_the_Ancients

After that come back and ask people that play the game why they love it so.

Furthermore, your statement that pc gamers are "starved" for games, isn't really a factual statement.

And as a side note, much like Wikipedia, Giantbomb is a WIKI site, thus sometimes information on the site will be wrong, and thus you should always confirm what you learn here with an official site, such as the first one I provided above.

#30 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1211 posts) -

@SturmMajere: Welcome to the site!

You sound like an asshole!

#31 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

and as for "dota" being "super popular"? haha yeah, not quite.

ummm...league of legends is a dota type game. and it just passed the 3 million player mark. thats not super popular?

#32 Posted by Nocall (356 posts) -

Valve is making a game in a new-ish genre that is extremely popular. Of course it has hype.

#33 Posted by ajamafalous (12051 posts) -

sick troll post bro

#34 Edited by ZombiePie (5711 posts) -

Any hope of a civil discourse on this thread seems to have been sabotaged. If you were unaware that we do not permit flaming on the Giant Bomb Boards please refer to our Forum FAQs.

#35 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1211 posts) -

When you sent me that PM telling me to go fuck myself that was cool. *cough* bitch

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.