Dota 2 issues

#1 Posted by cheishxc (92 posts) -

Hey guys, so I got an invite to Dota 2 but I can't play it it just keeps telling me that I can only spectate matches and that I'll have to buy the game on steam in order to play it? Anybody know what this is about?

#2 Posted by Ben_H (3427 posts) -

How did you get the invite? Did someone gift it to you? If so did you activate it? Or is it still in your Steam gifts?

You may also have to reinstall since if you had the game installed prior to getting a key, it would be a spectator-only version of the game.

#3 Posted by Drakoji (230 posts) -

I think you downloaded the spectator client.

#4 Edited by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

The client is available for anyone to download but without the key you only have access to the spectator/match viewer.

First off make sure it isn't a scam. Do not reply to any message or email saying "We need your Steam account details". If you really got an invite, you will receive a notice by the email in your account on Steam where the key is already delivered to you through Steam found in the Steam client. Don't do anything that is outside of Steam.

#5 Edited by Blur_Fan (142 posts) -

@cheishxc: Make sure you have the invite in your Steam Inventory - and then add to your account from there

#6 Posted by cheishxc (92 posts) -

It was gifted to me through steam, I had some problems activating it steam kept getting stuck on a window that said it's updating licenses. But, it's not in my gifts anymore and when I go to the Dota 2 steam page it says I own the game. I'll try deleting, and reinstalling it. Thanks for all the help guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.