Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Dota 2 new players thread!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Like a lot of people, I started to play Dota 2 this week after Brad mentioned he was getting into it. And just now I finished my first co-op bot match with @golguin and @colourful_hippie. It was really fun and extremely useful to learn some aspects of the game. I figured that new players could use this thread to find matches with parties of fellow newbies and prevent the normal Dota 2 GB group from getting flooded with users not ready for regular PvP matches. So just put your Steam ID in here and send some friend requests. No need for favorite hero really because it's bot matches so I think experimentation should absolutely be encouraged. Doesn't matter how new you are (and even if you're a vet you can join and give pointers if you want) this is basically so we can all learn...together.

My Steam ID is MariachiMacabre, by the way.

Come play with us, Duder. Forever and ever and ever...
    Come play with us, Duder. Forever and ever and ever...

[Mod Edit by Sweep]

This thread is for new players looking to share their experiences playing dota 2. If you are looking for other players to form a team with, click this thread over here. Thanks.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think it's good to direct new Dota 2 players here since we're all on the same level and don't really know anything.

Steam ID is

golguin

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Roll Drow Ranger.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By AlKusanagi

I just started myself today, since it came pre-installed on my PC and watching the gang play got me interested. I finally managed to win a match, which was nice. I'm learning Lina due to the blatant Slayers references.

Steam ID: alkusanagi

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

If you guys need a group of people to help you get accustomed to just controlling the game or being comfortable working with a team w/o hassle, I suggest the giantbomb channel in chat (click on the plus sign on the big chat window in the main menu and search for it) . Just had some of the funnest Dota and there were some goofy ass games.

All Pudge, All Balls
    All Pudge, All Balls

And if you actually want to learn heroes then we totally do All Random, Drafts, and All Pick too. I learned that I hate Ogre Magi and Clinkz, for one! And after that we had some queuing and had one of the best comebacks ever after a total rollover. You guys should jump in, 'cause there certainly a few really new people there.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started myself today, since it came pre-installed on my PC and watching the gang play got me interested. I finally managed to win a match, which was nice. I'm learning Lina due to the blatant Slayers references.

Steam ID: alkusanagi

I added you. The more completely new people the better.

Beaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Beaker

Count me in. I've never played a match so I'm completely fresh.

Steam ID Beaker86

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two games played with giant bomb people. A lot easier to play when you can coordinate attacks. AI doesn't listen to anything.

Beaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Yup. That was a fun and relaxed introduction to the game. It's wet my appetite for more.

HiImRocktimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel free to add me if you want to play! I have quite a few hours put into DOTA already, but I don't play it super competitively and would rather have people to play with than randoms. (SteamID: DontGetAnyBigIdeas)

Also, if it doesn't exist already, we should make a Giant Bomb chat channel in DOTA for everyone.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, was fun playing with you and Beaker. That ending was crazy!

Played with Clockwerk and don't really understand how his abilities are used best, his Q is all over the place and barely does any damage, his W cages dudes which is nice if you want to cage fight another hero, but he doesn't really have any strong melee abilities to make quick work of heroes. His E fires a flare which creates a vision and does a little bit of damage. HIs Ult is decent but I can't finish of a stunned hero because he's not really that offensive.

MarekkPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MarekkPie

Steam ID: mkosler

I'll be online, but will be more into schoolwork stuff until probably noon CST. Add me if you want some newbie fun.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Nictel

Can't believe I am doing this. Steam ID same as here

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@ravelle what's your Steam ID? Nevermind, I found you.

Oh yeah and I gotta thank @lordxavierbritish for the learning material. I highly recommend that Welcome To Dota, You Suck guide. It's a great guide to the basics and has some good starter hero recommendations.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Steam ID is Phatmac. Been playing with ranged characters like Sniper and did rather well. Add me for a good time. :)

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gogosox82

I'm in. I've only played a couple of bot matches so I'm completely new to this.

Steam id: gogosox82

ChibiKillstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ChibiKillstick

If anyone needs tips and wants to play a bot match with me I'm just screwing around for the next 4 hours, been playing dota for pretty much 6 years so I'm pretty used to explaining the basics to new people. Hit me up on steam! :D

Steam ID: Mysterious Onion

KeV1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KeV1989

So, after seeing that GB played Dota on TNT i decided to finally sign up here and hop in the Dota section.

I have been playing Dota 2 since June 2012 (a little less atm because of my internship), but i'm always available to give tips and play with others. I can be found under my "KeV" name in the Dota 2 group and despite coming from germany, the language barrier is not an issue at all.

EDIT: Before i forget. I mostly play Support Role, meaning Lich, Disruptor, Keeper of the Light.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the Templar Assassin so far, I just can't make any kills with her.

dubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dubs

hey, i'm new to Dota, my steam ID is monsieurwinks

feel free to add me, I'm definitely interested in learning more.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By jacdg

Should I take the plunge? I loved the Monday Night Combat games, though I never did much better than average, so maybe this is something for me?

KeV1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg: I played alot of MNC and SMNC, but seeing that those games failed in the long run (sad but true -.-) i made Dota 2 my domain. At first you will need a veteran to teach you the ropes. I had a guy with 1k hours at that point and it was a breeze to get into it.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have this game and I'm really bad at it! Steam ID

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WasabiCurry

Steam ID: ARandomAlpaca

I am a newbie as well, just looking for some duders who want to learn and play the game!

@morbid_coffee We can be terrible together! :3

Edited: Put a link to make my Profile much easier to find.

Cicadalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cicadalek

@ravelle said:

Played with Clockwerk and don't really understand how his abilities are used best, his Q is all over the place and barely does any damage, his W cages dudes which is nice if you want to cage fight another hero, but he doesn't really have any strong melee abilities to make quick work of heroes. His E fires a flare which creates a vision and does a little bit of damage. HIs Ult is decent but I can't finish of a stunned hero because he's not really that offensive.

Clockwerk is a teamfight hero, so his skillset is intended to disrupt the enemy and isolate enemy heroes. He doesn't do a huge amount of damage, that's left up to your teammates. Q does little damage per tick, but it also stuns for like .1 of a second, which can in some cases stop enemies from completing spell-casting animations. It appears to go all over the place, but in reality it will hit a random target in range each time. This means that if you are in melee range of just one enemy - like when you trap them with your W, for instance - your Q is always hitting them, every time. Power Cogs also knockback enemies who touch the outside and drain a LOT of mana. His ultimate makes it easy to get into melee range for your other abilities.

One thing I would advise new players to do every time they play a hero and think "What was this guy supposed to do?": Go to the 'Watch' tab in the dota menu and filter by the hero name. This will give you a selection of live games to spectate which contain that hero. Change the camera to something besides directed and follow the hero around, see exactly what they're meant to do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Humanity

This is very tempting. All this DOTA action on GiantBomb is making me want to try but I literally know nothing about the game and would probably just pick a sexy lady character.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg said:

Should I take the plunge? I loved the Monday Night Combat games, though I never did much better than average, so maybe this is something for me?

You can (and should) play with bots to get used to the game. I say give it a shot and come play some with us. We don't care how bad you are, that's the point. We're all terrible.

Merciless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Merciless

@humanity said:

This is very tempting. All this DOTA action on GiantBomb is making me want to try but I literally know nothing about the game and would probably just pick a sexy lady character.

The most useful thing is bringing an experienced player into a bot match with you. And why play as a sexy lady when you can play as a tiny old man riding an ogre?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jacdg

@mariachimacabre said:

@jacdg said:

You can (and should) play with bots to get used to the game. I say give it a shot and come play some with us. We don't care how bad you are, that's the point. We're all terrible.

Well, it is tempting. This genre/sub-genre have always interested me, but it's just very complicated. I don't have anything to do for the rest of the day/night, so I might just try and learn some DOTA 2..

Korosive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Korosive

Planning on learning the ins and outs too. Steam ID is: KorosiveAcid

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jacdg
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam ID: Ramone

I haven't even played the game once so I'm going to be awesome.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By BaneFireLord

Steam ID is feliscele

Not sure how often I can find the time to play, but I'm definitely interested in some casual botmatches with a bunch of other terrible GB players.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some stuff got in the way, but I'll probably be on most of tomorrow afternoon and evening (Europe time).

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I've clicked the install button twice today but have yet to have the balls to go through with actually installing Dota 2 let alone playing it.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam ID is gdyoder

I've put in about 6 hours of bot matches in Dota 2, and a few hours into LoL, so I still have almost no idea what I am doing. I would enjoy learning to play with you guys.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've clicked the install button twice today but have yet to have the balls to go through with actually installing Dota 2 let alone playing it.

Dooooooooooooooo iiiiiiit. With other shitty players, it's no big deal. We're doing bot match for now because there's no stake in it so who cares.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I just added most people, but I may have missed one. Anyone can go ahead and add me.

golguin

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I know what you mean. Even after TNT and Unprofessional Fridays it's just sitting in my Steam Library taunting me...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've had this installed on steam for about 4 months after i got a code. not even once

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By TheHT

Count me in: TheHT

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By pyromagnestir

@mariachimacabre:

I done did it! I just played a match against some bots. I picked Drow Ranger, I think she was called, because there were only 10 seconds left and I needed to pick someone damn it! Is there a way to turn time limit off when playing alone? I liked that she had a bow but didn't like her abilities. And obviously just didn't know what I was doing. I just tried to get last hits and stay behind my creeps.

edit edit: scratch that, I'm digging this Drow Ranger lady! Just dominated against some easy bots. Might move up to normal bots now.

Anyway, I think I'm going to look at that wiki stuff posted earlier and look at some of the heroes to see if one jumps out at me.

edit: Oh, right... steam id: BOOM! the Alien

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to try some newbie friendly matches.

Steam ID: Dog-fight

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SexyToad

I wouldn't mind getting some friends to play dota 2 with me!

Steam ID: SexyToad

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47 chaser324  Moderator

I've had Dota 2 installed for months and never touched it because the learning curve is so daunting and the community seems to relentlessly tear into noobs.

I guess now is as good a time as any to try to figure things out.

Steam ID: Chaser324

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I just can't get into it. I really like League of Legends, but I can't get into Dota.

Steam ID: ChadMasterFlash

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#49  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Steam ID is ArbitraryWater, and I'm probably not going to play all that much right now because Finals are next week. But after that, I would love to get horribly stomped and misuse my knowledge of MOBAs acquired from the hundreds of hours I've sunk into League of Legends.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By golguin

just finished a crazy 5 man giant bomb match. really good stuff.

Anyone feel free to add me at...

golguin

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.