Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Dota 2 will be at MLG Columbus, this November 2013

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.gamespot.com/news/mlg-columbus-to-feature-dota-2-6413405

This might be a big deal for the North American Dota 2 scene, which aside from The International hasn't had any tournaments this big.

Also of note, Starcraft II will not be at MLG Columbus, which is kind of weird considering how much of MLG's current popularity came from its SC2 coverage in the past few years.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's certainly nice to get some more LAN tournaments, especially in the US. On the other hand, I really hate MLG and its the embodiment of all the gross aspects of ESPORTS. I'll probably try to have the stream up just to support DotA 2 and to encourage them to do some more, but I'm completely expecting MLG to find a way to fuck this up and doubt they'll keep up with it for very long before they quit covering all non-LoL games.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@lively: Holy shit. I live three hours from Columbus. I want to go! Thanks for posting this.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am slightly disappointed in myself that I am not more excited about this event. I have been attending MLGs since they picked up Starcraft in 2011. This past year was just a major letdown both for support and for the quality of the event at Anaheim. The seating was bad, the sound was some of the worst, organization of the venue was just a big cluster. Some of the sponsors like the pretzel girls who were walking around giving out pretzels in bikinis...it all just felt gross. The best part of 2013 was the Infinite Crisis booth because the employees were some of the coolest guys at the event. We spent most our time chatting with them about various stuff rather then watching the games.

Then when they dropped SC2, it just seems that they are rapidly growing into an advertising organization for these games. With both Riot and Activision giving monetary support for MLG having League and Black Ops, the whole company has just began to feel dirty. I don't doubt that more money on LAN is good for the NA scene. However I just have been so down on MLG ever since Anaheim 2012, that I just can't get super excited for this event.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to convince my friend to go with me. We live 2.5 hours away so theoretically we wouldn't even need a hotel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.