Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

DotA coverage, yes?

• 84 results
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By rjayb89

Poll DotA coverage, yes? (388 votes)

YES, MORE DOTA COVERAGE 62%
    NO, THAT IS ENOUGH 38%
     • 
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@scrawnto said:

I wish I could play Dota 2, but my colorblindness is pretty much crippling in that game. Worse than Battlefield 3 was before they added a colorblind mode. Still, I enjoy watching it be played by people who can tell what's going on and hearing people talk about it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1eaald/dota_2_colorblind_mode/

Ah nice! Looks like that is a very recent development. The last time I looked for a colorblind mode mod, there wasn't much out there. The blue health bars and map indicators will make a huge difference for me.

As an aside, looking at the screenshots there, it took me a while to realize there was actually a difference between the screens of the mod and the screens with colorblindness simulation applied, so that simulation is probably pretty accurate. The screens with the simulation just look slightly desaturated.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By GaspoweR

@rjayb89: The thing in DOTA that actually makes it more appealing is if you played it with other people who are also good at it that you can learn from. That's what happened with Brad and that's what happened to me years ago when it was still a Warcraft 3 mod. I stopped around 2010 since I was at college at the time and had to devote more time with my education but until now I can still see why it is still fun to play especially if you know what you are doing.

When I was playing it heavily, it was via LAN in net cafes so lag is never an issue and in that set-up people are more likely to stay in the game even if losing instead of leaving early or if they are losing badly they can always just ask for a rematch (or RM in chat terms) and we would be okay with it. Besides, if a player left early that person can't get away with it since they are in the same physical space as you. That's probably the only thing missing when you are playing online is that you're not within the same physical space as with the people you are playing with so there's no shouts of trash talk or joy or anger. Also you can't really be too much of a dick too since people will really give you shit for it but it would be alright if everyone playing knew each other (which was the case most of the time). Other than remembering the great plays in a match, the actual reaction from the players in a match is also what makes it great. The closest thing that we see this in video form on this site was the TNT that they did. When Brad Muir shouted "KASAVIN!! KASAVIN!!" when Greg pulled off a double kill after their team was almost wiped, it brought back memories when I played in net cafes. I actually would want them to do another TNT like that with Brad Muir since he is a joy to listen to when he reacts.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nope. Enough is enough. There's a reason the guys stop doing CAH TNT, even though they were the best. Dota 2 can be the downfall of Giant Bomb.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By rjayb89

@gaspower: I'm sure that that would be the case had I a group of friends that were into it. Same thing can happen with games like Call of Duty or Halo, games beyond my wheelhouse nowadays, but that doesn't mean I would turn down the chance to play if offered. I don't doubt that these games are fun with how popular they are, but playing games alone, as I am apt to do and prefer, doesn't urge me to become a better player at these types of games (both multiplayer- and strategy-focused), and I don't really mind. Strategy games like Fire Emblem: Awakening and Dragon Age: Origins, games I've been playing since February of this year, are what keep me going these days, and those games can last me months on just one playthrough.

Despite my disconnect with the games themselves, I don't mind watching them being played by people who enjoy them and by doing so be able to take a glimpse into eSports with Brad here spouting off his... passion for games like StarCraft or DotA.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No. Unless...this could mean more Brad Muir?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's relevant and he's passionate about it so I'm cool with it.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By gloomytangent

I want a Dota 2 scrub league event. I want to see really, really bad play. I want to see constant fuck ups, I want to see people buying multiple pairs of boots.

EVERYONE IN THE SCRUB LEAGUE GOES IN COLD. NO GUIDES OR TUTORIALS.

Also, the all Pudge all mid drinking game. Every time you get hooked, you drink. It would be like Age of Booty all over again, and even people who don't know much about Dota would be able to follow what was going on.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want a Dota 2 scrub league event. I want to see really, really bad play. I want to see constant fuck ups, I want to see people buying multiple pairs of boots.

EVERYONE IN THE SCRUB LEAGUE GOES IN COLD. NO GUIDES OR TUTORIALS.

Also, the all Pudge all mid drinking game. Every time you get hooked, you drink. It would be like Age of Booty all over again, and even people who don't know much about Dota would be able to follow what was going on.

Oh man, I would love seeing really bad plays and constant fuck ups.
    I mean I could just go watch replays of other people playing that aren't part of major Esports teams and big tournaments, but still, a Giant Bomb Scrub League would be nice.
    And the Age of Booty thing was just glorious in all the right ways so that needs to happen for DOTA2 as well, because why the hell not, right? :P

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By gloomytangent

@zeforgotten: I'm not there for the fuck ups, I'm there for the personality and shit talking of the crew during the fuck ups. Please make this happen Brad.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gloomytangent: True, that's really what I'm there for as well(If it ever happens)
    But that really also means that I am there for the fuck ups because they need to happen for the personality and shit talking to really take off!

Oh man, now I really want it to happen.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By DonPixel

I'll say less: Personally I got burnt out of this genre real quick, the notion I need to be sited for +1hour games even if all the sudden I'm not enjoying it sounds to me like work, not like a game.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Mijati

I'd love to see more, or just Brad streaming would do me.

I'm huge into League of Legends and have been wanting to get into Dota 2 so having Brad "introduce" me to the game is really good for me. While I can see while others wouldn't like it if they have no interest in it and don't think the whole team needs to be involved or resources devoted to it but if Brads want to play and share that then I'm into that.

yeliwofthecorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gloomytangent: I'd sign up. I think I played one game of DOTA back in the WC3 days before deciding Wintermaul was more my thing.

Anyone else kinda worried for Brad? His description of his latest obsession with the game last podcast made me a bit nervous.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By gloomytangent

@yeliwofthecorn: I meant more dudes on the staff playing a game with no Dota experience and livestreaming it, much like the MK9 scrub league.

And nah, Brad's a grown ass man, and he's just going through a phase that a lot of people do with Dota. I never got quite that bad, but the game is so elegantly designed with so many layers that you can kind of fall down a hole peeling back the onion. He'll get to a point where he gets a bit burned out, say fuck this, and go for a walk. After that it'll be more under control. If he's anything like me, since he has a regular crew that he rolls with he'll probably still play every night, but this time zone cruising for stacks for match making probably won't last.

EDIT: If you're looking for people who are new to the game for a scrub league style experience, the GB chat channel in game is usually hopping, and there's a lot of low level people in there willing to do in house games.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, if Brad is going to die because of that game might as well get some mileage out of him as long as we can so I say: Yes

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I will second looking to the Giantbomb chat channel in the game client. There is usually enough people in there to either get an in-house game going (all players both sides are duders), or at least get a 5 stack going for Matchmaking. Haven't met anyone who is a jerk in there yet.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

Maybe more DotA coverage in video form but less discussion on the Bombcast. Primarily because he tries to come off as more insightful than he actually is. I'll get on DotA and go watch a replay of a game he's been in, but I've pretty much heard he just blows at the game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By MEATBALL

I have zero interest in DOTA and find it extremely boring to watch, so if the site were personally catering to my tastes I would say no. I'm not going to throw up a big stink about this being a thing, though. (Though the crazy part of me fears that DOTA will eventually take over the site until Giant Bomb becomes simply twitch DOTA stream #23584 while CBSi laugh maniacally, DOTA WILL DEVOUR US ALL!!! - Obviously none of this will happen :P)

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Would you be opposed to the dudes on staff who don't care about Dota fucking around in it? I feel like part of the problem with the MOBA scene in general is just how fucking serious everyone is about it, all the time. Having people with zero investment in it would be really refreshing, and given just how little shit Jeff/Ryan/Patrick give about Dota really sets them up for that.

Of course, them drinking would help. And I guess you do run the risk of Jeff figuring out that it's basically a team based hybrid of fighting games, RTSes and action RPGs and then just falling down the same hole as Brad.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By LevelUpAdrian

So as someone who missed out on Daily Dota today what the heck is it?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm not against them making more dota content, but I'm way over it at this point. I just don't have any investment in MOBA games.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no, it hasn't happened yet, and it isn't premium in case you were wondering. Its first installment is 14 hours from now.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjayb89 said:

@levelupadrian said:

Oh no, it hasn't happened yet, and it isn't premium in case you were wondering. Its first installment is 14 hours from now.

Oh my bad I thought I swore it was scheduled for yesterday.

Suboptimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Props to Brad for getting around the new Dota2 playtime limit at home. I don't really like watching it but It's no skin off my teeth.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweepo forever.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By korwin

Vi sitter här i venten och spelar lite DotA

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay more premium content about things I don't give a crap about, I haven't watched the last few TNTs so all the premium content I am paying for is Unpro Friday and last one was atrocious just recycling what they played during the week.

Might be time to rethink my renewal when it is due up.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't now why anyone would be opposed to more videos by this site, just don't watch what you don't like.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@gloomytangent said:

@meatball: Would you be opposed to the dudes on staff who don't care about Dota fucking around in it? I feel like part of the problem with the MOBA scene in general is just how fucking serious everyone is about it, all the time. Having people with zero investment in it would be really refreshing, and given just how little shit Jeff/Ryan/Patrick give about Dota really sets them up for that.

Of course, them drinking would help. And I guess you do run the risk of Jeff figuring out that it's basically a team based hybrid of fighting games, RTSes and action RPGs and then just falling down the same hole as Brad.

The problem is that watching people who don't know what they're doing play Dota is zero fun. It just becomes the two people standing next to each other autoattacking until one dies (and then the other one probably dies to a tower or creeps). There's just nothing compelling there.

Yay more premium content about things I don't give a crap about, I haven't watched the last few TNTs so all the premium content I am paying for is Unpro Friday and last one was atrocious just recycling what they played during the week.

Might be time to rethink my renewal when it is due up.

It's not premium; it's free.

huss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By huss

I played DotA 2 for about 2 hours and found out it's not a game for me. I really do enjoy watching people play it when those people really enjoy playing it though.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm a little tired of watching Dota 2. Been using it as background noise basically while I type out the sexiest spreadsheets, unable to intake anything interesting over the course of its usual one to two hour run-time with Daily Dota. I'm a little surprised that it stayed true to its name, even over the weekend. Brad, you've got problemos, mang... keep it up.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Why is the chat down in the livestream?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel said:

I would like to know this as well.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@castiel said:

I would like to know this as well.

The chat servers are fucked up. Brad mentioned it at the start of the stream

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.