Dota2 in-game store items confirmed (HATS!)

#1 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

So I don't know how big some of you guys are into Dota, but a recent peak into the latest Dota2 beta revealed what many have speculated for a while now: Dota2 will have a TF2-style cosmetic store.

http://www.valvenews.net/2011/dota-2-will-feature-cosmetic-items-an-in-game-store/

I'm pretty cool with it, but a lot of people are taking this too far... it only seems to be a minor cosmetic thing, and given the RTS-nature of the game, a lot of these are going to be hard to even spot out in-game.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11861 posts) -

Didn't see that one coming...

#3 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I think I'm gonna have a hard time getting excited about collecting such low poly, low res models.

#4 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Considering even PORTAL had a TF2-style store, it should come as no surprise that DOTA has one. I can't take anyone seriously who complains about cosmetic items.

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4419 posts) -

Fine with me.

#6 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Can i use my tf2 hats in dota 2?

#7 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Gabe Newell skin for Pudge?

#8 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -

Cosmetic items are ideal, lets people spend money on looking unique if they care about that, but more importantly doesn't give them any edge so free players are still treated fairly. That is truly the ideal system.

#9 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

@coakroach said:

Gabe Newell skin for Pudge?

#10 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

@Akrid said:

I think I'm gonna have a hard time getting excited about collecting such low poly, low res models.

The game looks pretty good, I don't think it has low poly counts.

#11 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Can't wait for this to come out, especially since it's going to be freeeeeeeeeeeee1!!!11!!!!!111!!!!

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Hats you say? Sign me up!

#13 Posted by raiz265 (2238 posts) -

Ugh.

I already expected it, but I still don't like it.

#14 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

As long as I don't have to pay per hero, whatever they do will be fine by me.

#15 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4419 posts) -

@Vegsen said:

I'm basing this off of current trends and pure assumptions at the moment, but it seems likely that you would have to pay per hero. Unless they sell this game at a flat fee or Valve just feels like giving away the whole thing out of the kindness of their hearts, I think we'll see the normal weekly rotation of heroes/buy your favorite ones in a cash shop sort of deal.

#16 Posted by Floope (190 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Vegsen said:

I'm basing this off of current trends and pure assumptions at the moment, but it seems likely that you would have to pay per hero. Unless they sell this game at a flat fee or Valve just feels like giving away the whole thing out of the kindness of their hearts, I think we'll see the normal weekly rotation of heroes/buy your favorite ones in a cash shop sort of deal.

If so, it would probably be done with in game currency and real cash.

For some reason, I don't think that's where it's going. Can you imagine if they released the TF2 free version and you had to pay to unlock classes?

#17 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Vegsen said:

They wouldn't do it. Doing so would ruin competitive matchmaking, and Valve knows well enough not to do that.

#18 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@BabyChooChoo

@Vegsen said:

Have they confirmed anything about the pricing model?
#19 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@BabyChooChoo

@Vegsen said:

Have they confirmed anything about the pricing model?

They haven't yet - but the general assumption across a lot of Dota fanbases is that it will be free to play, but offer non-game changing cosmetic premium items. Valve is building this up to be a largely e-Sports focused game, so breaking it with premium content like that isn't something they're going (Or at least, shouldn't) do...

#20 Posted by raiz265 (2238 posts) -

I just want to give them 20-30€ and play the goddamn game... >_>

#21 Posted by Cogzwell (238 posts) -

@Zero_: That's Pugna

But thank god it's not as bad as I initially thought, it seems to be a lot more like Bloodline Champion's Cosmetic System, I'm just happy there won't be like an influx of chef hats on everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.