Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

DotaCinema casters robbed by armed man live on twitch stream

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Earlier today Nikki Elise (Sajedene) and Shannon Scotten (SUNSfan) from DotaCinema had an armed man break into their house and rob them at gunpoint while they were livestreaming on twitch. Here's the video:

You can hear frantic shouting, then a masked man clearly holding a gun walking through the room. People in the twitch chat immediately reacted and attempts were made to contact the pair via any known associates. A member of the Top Plays Team "Ace" made this statement shortly after:

Ace here a member of the Top Plays team. As you all know, SUNSfan and Sajedene is under a really serious situation. Sajedene was streaming some Dota 2, then suddenly, they were being robbed. glimpses of robbers were seen through the webcam but not clear enough for us to see a face.

As of right now, me and Neil have been in a Skype call trying to contact as many people as we can that know they're address (Reaves, Doomraker,etc) and alot of them did not answer. We were able to contact SpawnRulz and he was able to call the cops because he knew his address.

If you guys have any pictures of the robber(s) or any evidence that we can maybe use. pls post it in.

Thanks to the recent people who help such as Cyborgmatt. we really do appreciate as much help as we can.

I will keep this post updated as soon as we hear something new. I hope they are safe.

-UPDATE 1: Sajedene has cotacted us and she is safe and she appreciates the call on the cops. along that SUNSfan is safe as well. but i heard that Monkey (1 of their cats) are missing

Friend of the site, CyborgMatt, also posted on twitter:

I can confirm that @Sajedene & @SUNSfanTV are ok. Very shaken up but ok.

— Matthew Bailey (@Cyborgmatt) June 9, 2014

This whole thing is, obviously, hugely fucked up, but I'm glad to hear they are both OK. Hopefully they caught some better footage of the robbers on a webcam somewhere.

UPDATE: One of the men is in custody after apparently being still in the house when the police showed up. Sounds like someone on the twitch stream called the cops and they had no idea. Source.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah you can see the guy come through with a weapon and take her purse. Very messed up.

The meta topic on this: I'm surprised more situations like this aren't caught "on camera" given how much streaming happens now.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Very disturbing. Are armed house robberies common in the US? To put on my detective hat: The robber did not wear a mask, which seems very amateurish.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

I believe they live in Arizona. A joke could be made that weapons are more common than sense there.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nuts

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZolRoyce

Oh god some of the top rated comments on that YouTube video linked are pretty sickening. I know there is a good chance that some of them are just meant to be trollish/get a rise out of people but they're fucking grotesque anyways.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just glad they're both ok at least.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MachoFantastico

Jesus, happy to hear they're okay though.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Bones8677

@nictel: 'Armed' home invasions aren't all that common outside of low income neighborhoods. Even with a gun, it's beyond reckless to break into a home like that. A good thief would never attempt this.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

@zolroyce said:

Oh god some of the top rated comments on that YouTube video linked are pretty sickening. I know there is a good chance that some of them are just meant to be trollish/get a rise out of people but they're fucking grotesque anyways.

Unfortunately that's the internet for you.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I hope their ok, unfortunately the cynic in me (and the history of these things) has me wondering if this is real or staged. It wouldn't be the first time something bad has happened on a Twitch stream that then turned out to be fake and was set up to generate viewership and hits.

If it's genuine though then I feel bad for them for going through that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

I'm glad everyone is safe.

@nictel: It depends on where you live, and even then not super common for someone to rob you when you are home. For someone to rob a place when someone is home takes a lot of balls and realistically I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone on drugs.

Easy solution is to always have a baseball bat handy, and a knife. It works for me anyway.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By DeadpanCakes

That's terrifying and I'm really glad to hear they're alright.

I'm also really glad I'm not a curious enough individual to check the comments on that video.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 sweep  Moderator

@nictel: 'Armed' home invasions aren't all that common outside of low income neighborhoods. Even with a gun, it's beyond reckless to break into a home like that. A good thief would never attempt this.

You seem to know a lot about it, eh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since there's video, what was the response time for the police to show up?

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do these people accept donations? If so, this seems fishy.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By daiphyer

Damn. That shit's scary. Glad they're both safe and sound.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By kindgineer
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@sweep said:

@bones8677 said:

You seem to know a lot about it, eh?

I actually used to watch a reality show called 'It takes a Thief' on Discovery. It was hosted by these two former thieves who would break into people's homes and ransack for the purposes of showing the homeowners how easy and vulnerable they are. It was very fascinating.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By RVonE

@zolroyce said:

Unfortunately that's the internet for you.

Yes, but that doesn't make it in anyway excusable or okay (not saying that that is your stance, just for the sake of the argument).

Honestly, reading some of those comments (actually, there are a lot of them) makes me sick to my stomach and I think it reflects really poorly on the state of video game players and people entrenched in internet culture. Why anyone in their right mind would spew the vicious and hateful things these people are writing is beyond me. To me, they're either severe sociopaths or mentally ill (or both) and I don't want anything to do with anyone who acts like that when they're online.

These kinds of comments seem to be the very thing that contribute to negative stereotypes associated with internet culture. Their behavior reflects on all of us and makes us seem like a bunch of sociopathic, narcissistic, subhumans--the scum of the earth, really. With some irony, I'd wager it's the same people who make those comments that are screaming their heads off when they are negatively stereotyped.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Holy fucking shit. Glad they are ok, sunsfan is one of the coolest guys on the scene imo.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow is the only thing i can say really.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Watching the full VOD was really quite stressful - I can't even imagine what they were going through =(

I hope all the best for them, even though I know they're okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fucking shit. I'm honestly scared just to watch the fucking video, so I can't possibly imagine how stressful that was for them. So glad to hear that they're alright.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crysack

Do these people accept donations? If so, this seems fishy.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/Search-on-for-2-armed-suspects-in-early-morning-home-invasion-262377261.html

The guy who lives in the house with her also runs this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DotaCinema/videos

I'm pretty damn sure they have no need for donations.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@blastprocessing: I don't know anything about them personally, but a quick search reveals them to be a fairly popular DOTA2 channel (proclaiming theselves the most popular DOTA 2 channel) so I don't think it's a publicity stunt.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

The DotaCinema channel is pretty popular where they just celebrated episode 100 of their "Fails of the Week" where in particular SUNSFan has been there for that feature from the start. DotaCinema themselves is a group does a lot including even running tournaments that the their Captain Mode Tournament which had high profile teams and a lot of viewers. They've also released multiple armor sets and other things in the Dota 2 Store that are branded DotaCinema.

I can't imagine these guys would risk all of that branding and business for some quick cash on pity donations. There are easier and bigger ways for them to do a cash grab than staging robberies.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man, thank god they're okay! Last year a few of my friends had their house jacked while they were back home for Christmas, but I've never known anyone who was at home during a robbery, must be terrifying.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: More importantly, if this is "staged" that means the robbers are in on it, and I can't imagine anyone would be so dumb as to risk jail time and worse over something as simple as that. There's no way any pity donations they recieved would be enough to compensate for that risk.

But maybe I'm giving humans too much credit.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jesus, that's fucked up man. I got mugged a couple years ago by a group of guys and I still look over my shoulder every time I walk home. This kinda thing has a way of sticking with you, and I didn't have a gun pointed in my face. In my own damn home. Damn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.