GameSpot: Danny O'Dwyer explains why he won't play DOTA 2

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

GameSpot: The Point - DOTA Might Ruin Your Life

Danny debuts his new show 'The Point' and even mentions Brad by name at (1:57). Overall, its a very cool discussionary video Danny made here, with a whole bunch of gamey examples I'm okay with. E.g. Assassin's Creed, WoW, DOTA 2, and CoD, are all games I'm certainly interested in watching. Some I'd rather only ever play and buy if my friends buys it, like CoD, and Killzone: Shadow Fall. Some I don't really care too much for, but I'll never say its not legit.

#2 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Casual.

#3 Posted by Humanity (8712 posts) -

Danny is pretty cool and the show seems alright as well. Might give me something to watch on Wednesdays when there are no QuickLooks about!

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

Danny is one of the best fresh things to hit "gaming journalism" in some time. Then again, maybe I just like his accent a whole hell of a lot.

#5 Edited by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

Good advice in there. Just because you can be good at something doesn't mean you are having fun or the time devoted is "worth it" where all too often people do conflate it all.

#6 Edited by Nights (602 posts) -

I'll never play a game past the point of enjoyment, which is why I rarely complete games. Playing games for the sake of completion/zeitgeist isn't my thing.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11636 posts) -

Can...can we start a Kickstarter to get Danny to join GB?

#8 Posted by FLStyle (4512 posts) -

Only on the condition that he's banned from saying "shwag," I swear presenting GameSpot live-streams turns people into real numpties.

#9 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

Stop playing games i don't actually enjoy is the best thing i ever did.

#10 Posted by bemusedchunk (654 posts) -

@nights said:

I'll never play a game past the point of enjoyment, which is why I rarely complete games. Playing games for the sake of completion/zeitgeist isn't my thing.

This. A billion times this. My roommate recently bought New Vegas (after completing it on the 360 when it was released) a few days ago on Steam. Dude has already logged close to 100 hours in 3-4 weeks. Thats nuts. I just can't do that. I almost never replay games, and only rarely finish games. When I get bored, or stuck, or just tired of the mechanics I'll just put it aside. Maybe I'll get back to it? But most likely I won't...

#11 Edited by Abendlaender (2733 posts) -

An excuse to listen to some irish accent? Sign me up!

#12 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

@flstyle said:

@beachthunder said:

Only on the condition that he's banned from saying "shwag," I swear presenting GameSpot live-streams turns people into real numpties.

hes from Ireland, normally we would refer to giveaway prizes as "shwag" might just be a cultural difference with danny.

#13 Edited by bemusedchunk (654 posts) -

S.W.A.G.

Stuff We All Get.

Swag.

#14 Posted by Tajasaurus (782 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Yup.

#15 Posted by Slag (3903 posts) -

Well since I actually enjoy the crap out of DOTA 2, I guess this isn't a problem for me.

#16 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1017 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

this

#17 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

It's always surprising to me how few people share my total aversion to the time commitment of DOTA in a single match (which is unavoidable) rather than the life-crippling addiction involved in playing it habitually (which results from a failure of self-control).

#18 Edited by Ares42 (2554 posts) -

To be honest I found the episode sort of disappointing. While I understand his opinion he's basically commiting a "sin" which he has probably been the target of himself several times, mis-informed fearmongering. I'm not gonna deny that there's probably plenty of people that's fallen into the trap he's talking about, but at the same time there's a lot of people that play MOBAs and live completely normal lives (heard something similar before?). Perpetrating this image that DOTA will devour your life doesn't really serve anyone.

#19 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Okay, but you can learn to enjoy games you might not otherwise by putting in the time commitment. That's how I've grown to enjoy XCOM this year. Tactics games are ROUGH for me, but I do actually enjoy my time with them.

The addiction angle, I agree and that's TOTALLY FAIR.

But giving up on games you might not be enjoying for, say, a night, is kind of silly. Some games have dull patches, it happens. But the best stuff might be on the other side (I definitely feel this way about Red Dead Redemption's Mexico and Deadly Premonition's art museum/police station.) Now, games like DOTA are a bit different (the thread on this site claims that the first 100 hours will be rough) but that first 100 hours can still be enjoyable. If it's not, you're right, get out. But saying we shouldn't finish games because "we're not enjoying them" is a quick way to not let yourself be challenged and settle into a grumpy gaming habit, feeding yourself only on the games you've already mastered.

#20 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

That was nice, I like this dude.

#21 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Danny is one of the best fresh things to hit "gaming journalism" in some time. Then again, maybe I just like his accent a whole hell of a lot.

Word.

I remember when Danny was a regular Gamespot forum poster in the good ol' days, and even then you could see the talent he has. It's pretty cool to watch him make the come up and i think he'd fit in with Giant Bomb and also his work would be easier for me to follow since i don't go to Gamespot.

As for games that i tried to enjoy but just couldn't make it happen; Wargame: AirLand Battle

#22 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1500 posts) -

He's hit upon the single greatest reason I largely haven't played multiplayer online games since high school. It's not the griefing, skill gap, or even really the time commitment -- it's the social pressure that worries me. In those kinds of team-oriented multiplayer games, you're going to end up with de facto in-game social commitments. I suppose you could argue that "hey, we're playing DOTA tonight, you in?" isn't different than "hey, we're going out tonight, you in?", but let's be serious, is kind of is, especially when it's something you're doing often.

I can spend 90 hours playing, say, Persona 4, but it's 90 hours by my terms. For a number of reasons, I ended up not playing many games for a few weeks last month, and was able to come back to them without feeling like I'd missed out on something or lost sight of ever-evolving Fire Emblem metagame.

@little_socrates said:

[...] But saying we shouldn't finish games because "we're not enjoying them" is a quick way to not let yourself be challenged and settle into a grumpy gaming habit, feeding yourself only on the games you've already mastered.

Definitely. There's been quite a few times play Fire Emblem: Awakening where I simply haven't been enjoying myself (say, when I'm near the end of a battle and lose a character due to an incorrect weapon choice), but as a whole I'm enjoying it. If I quit the game the second the going got tough, I wouldn't have hit the rewarding parts.

#23 Posted by RecSpec (3752 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Yep, I just wish I was better at not buying them.

#24 Edited by Giantstalker (1512 posts) -

Despite all that talking, he doesn't actually lay down very good reasons not to play DOTA 2... this is coming from someone who has at least tried the game.

#25 Edited by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

Oh brad don't let dota take over your life :(

#26 Posted by Subjugation (4715 posts) -

Every time someone mentions Dota 2, I go and play Dota 2. Thanks Danny.

#27 Edited by Ares42 (2554 posts) -

@grantheaslip: It's no different from say joining a book-club though or joining a softball team. There's nothing innately bad about having a hobby that requires social commitments, it's just all about how you deal with it personally. And even then you can easily enjoy a casual game of DOTA now and then without being part of a team, just like pretty much any other multiplayer game.

The big misconception about MOBAs being something uniquely taxing is much more of an "old dog learning new tricks" issue than anything else. People forget how much they've learned about more traditional multiplayer genres through other games they've played. Once you've learned the basics the only real difference between a casual game of DOTA and Battlefield is that the matches are longer.

#28 Posted by believer258 (11561 posts) -

Despite all that talking, he doesn't actually lay down very good reasons not to play DOTA 2... this is coming from someone who has at least tried the game.

"I'm afraid of falling into the same trap that Brad Shoemaker has" is a pretty good reason to not play Dota 2.

I don't play it because, well, I have a hard time giving a damn about multiplayer. I've enjoyed some multiplayer games but I'd much rather just play games on my own time and on my own terms.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
#30 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1500 posts) -

@ares42 said:

@grantheaslip: It's no different from say joining a book-club though or joining a softball team though. There's nothing innately bad about having a hobby that requires social commitments, it's just all about how you deal with it personally. And even then you can easily enjoy a casual game of DOTA now and then without being part of a team, just like pretty much any other multiplayer game.

The big misconception about MOBAs being something uniquely taxing is much more of an "old dog learning new tricks" issue than anything else. People forget how much they've learned about more traditional multiplayer genres through other games they've played. Once you've learned the basics the only real difference between a casual game of DOTA and Battlefield is that the matches are longer.

Yes, like I said, you can look at that way, but to me a casual in-person social activity is a different beast than sitting alone on a computer chair playing a high-stress action-strategy game. I sense an undercurrent of anger and stress in a lot of these games -- at best, they seem more rewarding than relaxing or particularly enjoyable (though I guess enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder).

These are, of course, my thoughts and my personality.

#31 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

@giantstalker said:

"I'm afraid of falling into the same trap that Brad Shoemaker has" is a pretty good reason to not play Dota 2.

I don't play it because, well, I have a hard time giving a damn about multiplayer. I've enjoyed some multiplayer games but I'd much rather just play games on my own time and on my own terms.

But Brad doesn't really have a problem. He's just a big fan of the game. The whole "Brad has a serious DOTA2 problem" thing is ridiculous and stupid. He hasn't fallen into any "traps".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.