Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

GameSpot: Danny O'Dwyer explains why he won't play DOTA 2

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

GameSpot: The Point - DOTA Might Ruin Your Life

Danny debuts his new show 'The Point' and even mentions Brad by name at (1:57). Overall, its a very cool discussionary video Danny made here, with a whole bunch of gamey examples I'm okay with. E.g. Assassin's Creed, WoW, DOTA 2, and CoD, are all games I'm certainly interested in watching. Some I'd rather only ever play and buy if my friends buys it, like CoD, and Killzone: Shadow Fall. Some I don't really care too much for, but I'll never say its not legit.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Casual.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Danny is pretty cool and the show seems alright as well. Might give me something to watch on Wednesdays when there are no QuickLooks about!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Danny is one of the best fresh things to hit "gaming journalism" in some time. Then again, maybe I just like his accent a whole hell of a lot.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EXTomar

Good advice in there. Just because you can be good at something doesn't mean you are having fun or the time devoted is "worth it" where all too often people do conflate it all.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nights

I'll never play a game past the point of enjoyment, which is why I rarely complete games. Playing games for the sake of completion/zeitgeist isn't my thing.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Can...can we start a Kickstarter to get Danny to join GB?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Only on the condition that he's banned from saying "shwag," I swear presenting GameSpot live-streams turns people into real numpties.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Stop playing games i don't actually enjoy is the best thing i ever did.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nights said:

I'll never play a game past the point of enjoyment, which is why I rarely complete games. Playing games for the sake of completion/zeitgeist isn't my thing.

This. A billion times this. My roommate recently bought New Vegas (after completing it on the 360 when it was released) a few days ago on Steam. Dude has already logged close to 100 hours in 3-4 weeks. Thats nuts. I just can't do that. I almost never replay games, and only rarely finish games. When I get bored, or stuck, or just tired of the mechanics I'll just put it aside. Maybe I'll get back to it? But most likely I won't...

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By abendlaender

An excuse to listen to some irish accent? Sign me up!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@flstyle said:

@beachthunder said:

Only on the condition that he's banned from saying "shwag," I swear presenting GameSpot live-streams turns people into real numpties.

hes from Ireland, normally we would refer to giveaway prizes as "shwag" might just be a cultural difference with danny.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bemusedchunk

S.W.A.G.

Stuff We All Get.

Swag.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@pr1mus said:

Yup.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Well since I actually enjoy the crap out of DOTA 2, I guess this isn't a problem for me.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@pr1mus said:

this

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It's always surprising to me how few people share my total aversion to the time commitment of DOTA in a single match (which is unavoidable) rather than the life-crippling addiction involved in playing it habitually (which results from a failure of self-control).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ares42

To be honest I found the episode sort of disappointing. While I understand his opinion he's basically commiting a "sin" which he has probably been the target of himself several times, mis-informed fearmongering. I'm not gonna deny that there's probably plenty of people that's fallen into the trap he's talking about, but at the same time there's a lot of people that play MOBAs and live completely normal lives (heard something similar before?). Perpetrating this image that DOTA will devour your life doesn't really serve anyone.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Okay, but you can learn to enjoy games you might not otherwise by putting in the time commitment. That's how I've grown to enjoy XCOM this year. Tactics games are ROUGH for me, but I do actually enjoy my time with them.

The addiction angle, I agree and that's TOTALLY FAIR.

But giving up on games you might not be enjoying for, say, a night, is kind of silly. Some games have dull patches, it happens. But the best stuff might be on the other side (I definitely feel this way about Red Dead Redemption's Mexico and Deadly Premonition's art museum/police station.) Now, games like DOTA are a bit different (the thread on this site claims that the first 100 hours will be rough) but that first 100 hours can still be enjoyable. If it's not, you're right, get out. But saying we shouldn't finish games because "we're not enjoying them" is a quick way to not let yourself be challenged and settle into a grumpy gaming habit, feeding yourself only on the games you've already mastered.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was nice, I like this dude.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

@jakob187 said:

Danny is one of the best fresh things to hit "gaming journalism" in some time. Then again, maybe I just like his accent a whole hell of a lot.

Word.

I remember when Danny was a regular Gamespot forum poster in the good ol' days, and even then you could see the talent he has. It's pretty cool to watch him make the come up and i think he'd fit in with Giant Bomb and also his work would be easier for me to follow since i don't go to Gamespot.

As for games that i tried to enjoy but just couldn't make it happen; Wargame: AirLand Battle

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@pr1mus said:

Yep, I just wish I was better at not buying them.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Giantstalker

Despite all that talking, he doesn't actually lay down very good reasons not to play DOTA 2... this is coming from someone who has at least tried the game.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jimmyfenix

Oh brad don't let dota take over your life :(

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time someone mentions Dota 2, I go and play Dota 2. Thanks Danny.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ares42

@grantheaslip: It's no different from say joining a book-club though or joining a softball team. There's nothing innately bad about having a hobby that requires social commitments, it's just all about how you deal with it personally. And even then you can easily enjoy a casual game of DOTA now and then without being part of a team, just like pretty much any other multiplayer game.

The big misconception about MOBAs being something uniquely taxing is much more of an "old dog learning new tricks" issue than anything else. People forget how much they've learned about more traditional multiplayer genres through other games they've played. Once you've learned the basics the only real difference between a casual game of DOTA and Battlefield is that the matches are longer.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Despite all that talking, he doesn't actually lay down very good reasons not to play DOTA 2... this is coming from someone who has at least tried the game.

"I'm afraid of falling into the same trap that Brad Shoemaker has" is a pretty good reason to not play Dota 2.

I don't play it because, well, I have a hard time giving a damn about multiplayer. I've enjoyed some multiplayer games but I'd much rather just play games on my own time and on my own terms.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantstalker said:

"I'm afraid of falling into the same trap that Brad Shoemaker has" is a pretty good reason to not play Dota 2.

I don't play it because, well, I have a hard time giving a damn about multiplayer. I've enjoyed some multiplayer games but I'd much rather just play games on my own time and on my own terms.

But Brad doesn't really have a problem. He's just a big fan of the game. The whole "Brad has a serious DOTA2 problem" thing is ridiculous and stupid. He hasn't fallen into any "traps".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.