Giant bomb Dota community and Helping out new people

#1 Edited by CheapPoison (708 posts) -

With the recent TnT that the Giant bomb crew did there seem to be an influx of people who have shown some interest in trying out the game of Dota. Yesterday some more experienced players played some random bot games with some newer people to show them the ropes. And seeing as a lot of people seem to be intimidated by it's learning curve, maybe there are people that want to try it out but would like to play with fellow duders for a more friendly environment or to have someone to show them the ropes, give them some pointer, help them learn a few heroes/ roles.

At the moment You can join the Dota steam group.

Forum post Dota steam group

In there we try and set up inhouses in a custom game so 5 Giant bomb people can face of against 5 giant bomb people. This could range from Normal games that could be more competitive to inserting a few restriction to make it more random and fun.

Some ideas

This might be a good way to find some people to play with, and get some games under your belt in a low pressure friendly setting.

If people are interested in it, enough people of the giant bomb dota community have voiced their interest to help/coach newer players. So feel free to drop your thoughts in this thread and if people are interested we will set something up.

This could be anything from just asking question, to playing a game with them to having an inhouse with all new people against eachother and the community giving them feedback/tips on their play.

So if you are interested be sure to drop a message on here, or try and show up for one of the events. Just dive in, no need to be intimidated. It isn't the easiest game to get into but it also at a base level isn't very hard, you just need to have some basic information that might be hard to find if noone tells you, but that's what we are here for.

#2 Edited by RawknRo11a (508 posts) -

I'd definitely be interested in getting some help. I've played two co-op matches with randoms against bots and my k/d right now is 0-20... I just can't seem to get the hang of it. There's just SO MUCH going on in this game. Would love to get a little advice/couching on where to start. Would also love to play with others who have been in my spot before (hasn't everyone). Anyways, look forward to hearing what you for reals players have to say.

Also, would love to get to plays with some other GB newbies.

#3 Posted by golguin (3651 posts) -

Here is a quick question. Does buying a recipe for a really expensive item make sense? The recipe came with some stats and a passive ability so I'm wondering if that makes sense because I don't want to be walking around with 3000 gold. I'd rather buy the thing a piece at a time.

I also wanted to know if there is a way to level up gear if you don't plan on upgrading further. Does gear have levels?

#4 Edited by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

@golguin said:

Here is a quick question. Does buying a recipe for a really expensive item make sense? The recipe came with some stats and a passive ability so I'm wondering if that makes sense because I don't want to be walking around with 3000 gold. I'd rather buy the thing a piece at a time.

I also wanted to know if there is a way to level up gear if you don't plan on upgrading further. Does gear have levels?

Generally for items you want to build up towards the final piece. Most of the components are items that are useful until you get that larger item. Say you want to build a Black King Bar. The Ogre Club will give you additional health, the Mithiral Hammer will give you +16 damage. Both of which are good stats for someone who is building a BKB (usually a carry or a hero who needs the survivability to put out their damage). Recipies do not contain any stats, they are just the final component for some items. If you want to build Drums of Endurance, you will get the Bracer early for survivability and the Robe of the Magi for a larger mana pool...both of which are great stats for a hero in a supporting role. Mekanism, build the Headress for early lane presence / sustainability...Buckler for the bonus armor for teammates...then you finish the recipe for the Mek.

Probably more info then you care to know...but it is good to know. There are two types of gold in Dota, Reliable Gold and Unreliable Gold. Reliable gold is gold that you gain from hero kills / assists, Roshan kill, and Tower kills. Unreliable gold is the gold that you receive when you get the last hit on an enemy creep / a neutral creep. When you die, you lose 30 x (The Level of your Hero). Say you are level 10, you will lose 300 unreliable gold when you die. When you purchase an item, you automatically use your unreliable gold first. If do try to save up to 3000+ gold, you run the risk of dying and losing the money. If you purchase wards / items consistently you will be able to keep your unreliable gold low. A good technique to do is to leave the item / component you are purchasing next on your Quick Buy at the bottom right. If you are about to die, purchase it, it will use up your unreliable gold and you are unable to lose that money. If you mouse over the gold icon on the bottom right, you will be able to see your current Reliable Gold, Unreliable Gold, and Buyback Price so you can plan accordingly. If you buyback, it will use your reliable gold.

Once you get to a higher level of play, then you will need to decide when you are purchasing these items. Your opponents will be checking your inventory consistently to see your item choices / mana / health pool. For example, say I notice that the enemy is building towards a Butterfly. I am going to quickly buy a Monkey King Bar as quick as I possibly can. That way I am able to negate his evasion by having the item with true strike. If he saved up for the full item at once, I might have spent my money on an additional damage item which he would begin to evade a lot of my attacks.

Only a few items can "level up." Diffusal blade has level 1 and 2, Necro Book has levels 1,2,3 and Dagon has levels 1,2,3,4,5. For Drums, you can just purchase the recipe again to refil your charges. For diffusal, you purchase Level 2 to refill your charges...but once you use them all, you cannot purchase another recipe to refill the charges.

#5 Edited by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I would love to play with some people on here, get like a little group going or whatnot. I suck and I read up on guides and everything but I still manage to do pretty awful. I think I need to play more games but getting trounced is no fun at all.

#6 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

I would love to play with some people on here, get like a little group going or whatnot. I suck and I read up on guides and everything but I still manage to do pretty awful. I think I need to play more games but getting trounced is no fun at all.

Join the in-game Giant Bomb chat room there are inhouse games all the time right now.

#7 Edited by Vitor (2789 posts) -

I created a new thread not knowing about this one, but basically I'd love to coach some n00bs.

Working out how best to advertise/announce beginner games though. Guessing just asking around on the chat would be best?

Probably going to be doing 5 man vs bot games. I can take one slot and then use the ingame chat to talk everyone through their roles without the hassle of setting up a skype session or something.

#8 Edited by plague102 (125 posts) -

I've played the orignal old ass Dota before it was a thing but thats about the last time I touched it. I've played about 2000+ games of league (yes I know its not the same) so I know basic knowledge of terms and an idea of roles and things, but alot of Dota is still foreign to me and I would love some help translating my abilities from League to Dota.

#9 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -
#10 Posted by CheapPoison (708 posts) -

@vitor: From what i have seen, having new people in a custom game and the more experienced players in the commentator slot so they can watch without any delay and directly comment on their actions and decisions seem to be the best way.

Not sure if it is best to just set up some moments during the week when this happens, and let people just be taught by whoever shows up or pair up certain people with certain coaches so there isn't an overlap in advice or a sense of progression for both parties.

#11 Edited by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@vitor: From what i have seen, having new people in a custom game and the more experienced players in the commentator slot so they can watch without any delay and directly comment on their actions and decisions seem to be the best way.

Not sure if it is best to just set up some moments during the week when this happens, and let people just be taught by whoever shows up or pair up certain people with certain coaches so there isn't an overlap in advice or a sense of progression for both parties.

Yeah, the issue with that though is that people can't hear you speak unless you organise a third party client like Skype or Vent and that seems like it might be a bit of a hassle for people. Plus, it might be more manageable for myself also if I'm playing mid and only have to talk 4 people through everything.

I don't think there's an issue with overlap,if anything, the repetition should help reinforce any of the 'lessons' you've learned. Not sure how feasible it is to only have 1 consistent coach per person, unless people are really willing to set up calendar dates and the like. It's a good idea, but may not be practical.

#12 Posted by CheapPoison (708 posts) -

@vitor: It might be. Although i am personally not against an extra program to handle the voice part of the equation. And if you can manage playing and giving hints, no reason not too. I have just found that i just miss to much or focus too much on my own play when i join.

Ye, you are right. I was just brainstorming and thinking back till years ago to what some groups did in Hon.

#13 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@vitor: It might be. Although i am personally not against an extra program to handle the voice part of the equation. And if you can manage playing and giving hints, no reason not too. I have just found that i just miss to much or focus too much on my own play when i join.

Ye, you are right. I was just brainstorming and thinking back till years ago to what some groups did in Hon.

You're probably right. If people don't mind using an extra program, it's definitely the best way to do so. Otherwise I'll likely just be sat in mid at exp range and never last hitting as I wouldn't be able to focus on that and coaching simultaneously either. I mean, against normal levels bots that's not an issue, but being able to pay full attention to everyone is definitely better.

I'll be organising my first session sometime soon - got a sore throat right now so that's getting in the way but I'm hoping that won't last.

#14 Edited by Devilb0y (131 posts) -

I'd definitely be up for this. I've played to the point where I can always beat Medium Bots but none of my friends play and I'm intimidated by the prospect of jumping into a public game!

#15 Posted by BigSparky (3 posts) -

I think I'll eventually try a public game in...five years? LOL

#16 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

sign me up for some multiplayer tutoring goodness. After praticing agaisnt bots for a while I started playing public matches (3 wins, 2 losses). I play mostly support.

Edit: forgot to say my SteamID is HaroldoNVU

#17 Posted by thwak (104 posts) -

I think I need to start using my mic more when I group up with new people. I just see too many new player mistakes and hopefully I can just explain stuff to them instead of going "I'm so angry" in team chat all the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.