Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Halloween Update - New Game Mode

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jokers_Wild

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/10/diretide/

For Halloween, Dota 2 has changed the skin to a more festive theme, and added a new game type: Diretide. You basically run around collecting candy and stealing it from enemies. It culminates in a boss fight with Roshan.

I've played a few rounds of Diretide and I love it. It's a nice change of pace from standard play. What do you guys think?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

It's fucking brilliant. Only downside is you realize very quickly that most of the heroes are virtually useless when compared to only a very small pool of other heroes. For instance, you don't even have to be good, but as long as you understand how to play, PL and PA just dominate anything and everything with generally every other carry falling in line behind them. It's not broken per se, but, for lack of a better explanation, suffice it to say carries can carry really easy in that mode lol.

However, the matches don't count towards wins or losses so it doesn't really matter in the end. It's clearly designed to be nothing but stupid (in a good way) fun and, dear sweet baby jesus, it passes with flying colors.

Oddly enough though, that's not the most exciting thing for me personally. When did they add thee 3 new windrunner sets? I flipping lost my shit when I saw those as she's currently my favorite hero. Does anyone have any pieces they want to give away and/or trade for?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By valrog

@BabyChooChoo said:

It's fucking brilliant. Only downside is you realize very quickly that most of the heroes are virtually useless when compared to only a very small pool of other heroes. For instance, you don't even have to be good, but as long as you understand how to play, PL and PA just dominate anything and everything with generally every other carry falling in line behind them. It's not broken per se, but, for lack of a better explanation, suffice it to say carries can carry really easy in that mode lol.

Valve has still a lot to learn when it comes to bosses. For example, Team Fortress 2. If half of the server doesn't go full Huntsman, you can only dream of killing Merasmus. That is, if you even are lucky enough to find a server that has people that are willing to cooperate on both RED and BLU (Highly unlikely from my experience).

@Mr_Skeleton: What a brilliant film.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gosukiller

This mode is definitely a carry-only mode. Also heroes with great escape mechanisms (QoP, Prophet, PL, AM, Weaver) do great in it.

Nevertheless, it's very fun to play!

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jimi

Fun to play, it's been said before but the skewing towards mid game carries is pretty severe. I haven't lost with PL yet, soul ring straight into radiance and there's nothing the opposing team can do.

Thurmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Thurmy

Always enjoy Halloween themed content to mix stuff up!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.