Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

How to deal with Leavers?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cheesebob

I just finished a game where, surprisingly after only playing like 10 matches, I was the most powerful hero on the map, able to destroy any of the opposing heroes one on one (and occasionally two against one). Problem was 2 of our players had left and I was stretched too thin/ ganged up on easily. So we lost the game (not only because of me BTW, the other high level dudes were getting ganged up on aswell/ over the otherside of the map when people were attacking etc)

How the hell can you deal with leavers in this game?

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jimi

Happens in all dota style games, just report them and move on.

I should also note that focusing on winning/losing matches in these games will drive you nuts. Instead focus on playing well yourself so that even if you lose you still played well. At least that's my perspective.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

knife them

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By indiefinch

It sucks, but its part of the genre. One thing that is nice in Dota 2 is if you abandon a game, you are put into a specific low priority queue. Finding games will take 15 min + for people in that queue. Once someone has abandoned the game you are free to leave penalty free. But sometimes just focus on trying to get better, maybe chaining together certain abilities or try a new item build...since you will most likely lose the game might as well learn from it.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gosukiller

Report them and live with it. It's a regretable part of the game.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By zero_

@IndieFinch said:

It sucks, but its part of the genre. One thing that is nice in Dota 2 is if you abandon a game, you are put into a specific low priority queue. Finding games will take 15 min + for people in that queue. Once someone has abandoned the game you are free to leave penalty free. But sometimes just focus on trying to get better, maybe chaining together certain abilities or try a new item build...since you will most likely lose the game might as well learn from it.

I feel like this needs to be clarified because I've been stung way too often with this: if someone leaves within the first 10 minutes, the match is void - whatever happens from here on out is not counted as a loss or a win for any team, even if you win the game. I've had real good games where we won 4v5, but not had it count. It counts as an abandon for the leaver, but if anyone leaves after them they do not get an abandon. For games where people leave after 10 minutes, if you leave after them you won't incur an abandon but the game result will still be valid. If your team wins loses 5 v 4, then it still counts as a loss. Even if there is a 1v1, the match outcome will play out and recorded.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Curse them in Russian.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CheapPoison

I think the systems they have and some stuff that is probably yet to come will work wonders against them.

If you had an abondend game recently your waiting times get crazy, 10 min plus crazy.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Starfishhunter9

The only solution is to play with mates. Otherwise people will leave on your side and leave you frustrated. Thats the way it goes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.