How to watch DOTA 2?

#1 Posted by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

I'm a new DOTA player and I want to watch high level matches but I don't know where to go. When I was getting into Starcraft 2 I found out about Day9 and followed the trail from him. Where do I go to watch casted tournaments and stuff? I watched the latest international live on the Dota2 website, but that's all I've seen.

#2 Posted by Mageknight (124 posts) -

I'd recommend JoinDota: http://www.joindota.com/en/vods. They've got decent commentary over VODs for all the major tournaments. DOTA2 also has in-engine spectating/replay viewing for tournaments with built in commentary tracks (available under the "watch" tab), but you often have to pay for access to those.

#3 Posted by GloomyTangent (209 posts) -

@BoogieWithStu: Valve released the Dota 2 spectator client to everyone a bit ago. It should be in your steam library or on the store. Just use that.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -
@GloomyTangent said:

@BoogieWithStu: Valve released the Dota 2 spectator client to everyone a bit ago. It should be in your steam library or on the store. Just use that.

If dude wants casted games he's not going to find them in the client without paying. 

Anyway, I'd second joindota as probably being your best bet. Once you get your feet wet you could branch out from there if you really wanted to.
#5 Posted by mrpandaman (872 posts) -

Team Liquid recently began supporting and covering DOTA 2, so you can check out their website for player streams and/or tournaments. Still it is a SC dominant site, but TL has given DOTA 2 its own page.

#6 Posted by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

Awesome info. Thanks so much guys.

#7 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@ajamafalous: False. The International, I believe is free, and is casted, in game.

#8 Posted by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

Definitely JoinDota. Tobiwan, the main caster is fast becoming a big deal in esports casting, and is really fun to watch matches with. Try to watch matches where he has a co-caster though, Tobi is awesome at the play by play insanity, but will leave analysis to a partner if hes using one.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -
@MAGZine said:

@ajamafalous: False. The International, I believe is free, and is casted, in game.

That's the only exception, because Valve hosted it. All of the other tournaments require a ticket to watch.
#10 Posted by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

Just watched a match on JoinDOTA. It was great. Tobiwan is a good caster as far as I can see. However there was another guy called "Ham" that was casting and he was goddamn abysmal. He sounded super bored and didn't say a whole lot and his sound quality was shit. I really hope it sorts itself out and guys like that get weeded out.

#11 Posted by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

He uses a bunch of different people, Ham is pretty rare to show up, and I think they are old friends or something. Now hes casting with Wagamama, who plays for Infused and he's way better. The best co-casters for him are usually active pros who enjoy the occasional cast. Synderen from MTW is one of the more common co's, and by far the best that will show up imo.

#12 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

The best place to start is with Purge, Over at http://www.youtube.com/purgegamers He tried to educate people first and is just an all around solid dude. As others have said, just go into the client and watch all of the International games.

#13 Posted by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

What about tournaments? Are they on a schedule? I'm interested in catching live casted tournaments too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.