I will never get the appeal of dota or mobas

• 58 results
#51 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

cool

#52 Posted by cruxking (204 posts) -

as a convert, i have to admit i didnt get it either for a while. but i mean, its fun. maybe not right off the bat, but after you put some time in its fun. but hey, i dont think they're about to shut down all other development to turn all other ips into mobas, so i think you're in the clear.

#53 Edited by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -
#54 Edited by Ares42 (2584 posts) -

My biggest problem with MOBAs at this point is that I never hear explanations, I just hear facts. I remember watching an EVO stream a few years ago (the one with the Sessler scandal) and the fact that they had commentators like Ultradavid and Skisonic that really explained why people do the things they do really got me into fighting games. In the same way we had Day9 "educating" people about Starcraft. I've watched a fair deal of DOTA 2 this week, and while I'm learning some things here and there I have absolutely no clue why people have decided what is a good or bad thing to do.

#55 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

@ares42: There are like streams where the caster does explain the stuff. Sure most of that isn't on the pro scene since you're trying to keep track of what 10 players are doing as opposed to 2 in a fighting game. But when the casters themselves are playing, they usually explain why they are doing everything and comment on everything that happens (the crazy battles where I usually go wtf is happening, and why am I dead so quick). Of course, its easier since the caster is following one person (himself), so you can get an insight from one person's perspective of how stuff is set up

#56 Edited by gaminghooligan (1423 posts) -

I feel like I'm missing something, I played the tutorial they have and then went into bot matches on the medium difficulty where I got my ass handed to me over and over and over by bots. So far the style of DOTA 2 is the only one of these that even makes me remotely interested in learning to play, so at least it has that going for it.

that being said I totally get why other people love these games, it gives me that SC vibe real real hard

#57 Posted by ajamafalous (11863 posts) -

@ares42 said:

My biggest problem with MOBAs at this point is that I never hear explanations, I just hear facts. I remember watching an EVO stream a few years ago (the one with the Sessler scandal) and the fact that they had commentators like Ultradavid and Skisonic that really explained why people do the things they do really got me into fighting games. In the same way we had Day9 "educating" people about Starcraft. I've watched a fair deal of DOTA 2 this week, and while I'm learning some things here and there I have absolutely no clue why people have decided what is a good or bad thing to do.

Here you go. He isn't casting TI3 qualifiers, unfortunately, but feel free to go back in the archives.

Also, there are many, many players who explain what they're doing as they stream matchmaking as well, such as Purge and Merlini.

#58 Posted by EXTomar (4507 posts) -

I understand why people get confused about fighting games because matches only last minutes and exchanges are in seconds but for a MOBA like Dota 2 matches last for awhile which easily allows for more explanation.

The thing with the Dota 2 client, as opposed to a video stream like GB's "Daily Dota" on Twitch.tv, is when you look at certain games like The International Qualifier Matches there are 4 (or 5?) commentators with very lengthy comments on what is going on along with the fact the commentator also controls the display pointing the camera at things they want to draw the viewer's attention too.

I definitely recommend people who are trying to learn that instead of just watching stuff off of Twitch.tv, watch many games in the client and especially the big games with full commentary.

#59 Edited by bobafettjm (1407 posts) -

I finally decided to give it a shot today. I played through the tutorial and then played a bot match at which point I decided to watch a live tournament game. I have to be honest when I say I started to get bored halfway through my first game, and I am sure it has to do with playing it with bots. I am nervous to jump in to online without understanding most of what is going on, but I am sure that is the next step I need to take.

#60 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.