I'm looking for a specific kind of hero. Help?

• 52 results
#1 Edited by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

Since I have almost no idea what any of the heros do what I wanted to ask about this type of hero.

First of all I need a hero that's actually fun to play, that for me means killing alot of dudes, high manoeuvrability is preferred.

I'm not sure about this but I played as bloodseeker and using melee seemed really bad as you soak up damage because of it, meaning having to run to base to heal alot. Is this just bloodseeker or does it apply to all melee characters? If so I'd prefer a ranged character.

I'm not sure if I want someone really easy to play or not, eg, I like to play Assassin in SMNC. I have played Lina in this though and I found that too difficult.

I know not all of you have experience of every hero in the game, but I would like to hear your arguments on why the hero you suggest is what i'm looking for.

EDIT: One enjoyable hero found so far: Huskar

SECOND EDIT: I just played Lich off of many recommendations and I was BORED TO TEARS.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I just started the game and after trying some heroes I have to say the most succesfull (and fun) attempts were playing Windrunner and Tidehunter.
Some range, some mobility/defense and pretty strong characters right out of the box.
For healing I just stack potions, it seems to be the way to go and they're dirt cheap anyway.

#3 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: I think it's more important to figure out the core mechanics of the game before you find your hero. Try playing a game as Lich, many consider him to be the easiest starting hero. He doesn't do a lot of damage, except for his ultimate ability. Also try Riki. He's a melee character, but at level 6 you get permanent stealth, and he does a lot of high damage quickly.

#4 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

@ItBeStefYo: I think it's more important to figure out the core mechanics of the game before you find your hero. Try playing a game as Lich, many consider him to be the easiest starting hero. He doesn't do a lot of damage, except for his ultimate ability. Also try Riki. He's a melee character, but at level 6 you get permanent stealth, and he does a lot of high damage quickly.

I've played a few games and it basically seems like an isometric SMNC, which I've had alot of experience in.

The only thing that confuses me is the shop and other items that you can equip before a game

#5 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: I've played a bit of SMNC, and they aren't super alike. What you need to focus on is learning how to last hit/deny. That, over getting kills, is the most important part of the game in the early phases.

#6 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@GlenTennis: Can you explain what last hit/deny is?

Also I was wondering about what to do with recipes and if some items from the shop are just arent compatible with your hero and so are useless and a waste of money.

#7 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

First off, you need to know what are the roles in Dota. Be it support, initiator, tanker or something else. You basically sound like you want to play the carry role. One of the most stressful and difficult roles since the entire team is counting on you to farm up enough to take down the enemy.

I would advise you to practice a few heroes and to familiarize yourself with what other heroes can do. Part of the game is knowing what your hero is capable of, knowing what opposing heroes can do and building items to circumvent your own weaknesses/capitalize on enemy weakness. Part of getting good at Dota isn't just being good at your hero, you need to pick heroes that complement your teammates. So there's no point in picking a carry if you team already has 1-2 carries.

Take a look at the roles here.

Also I would advise you not to think you know how to play Dota because you played SMNC.

#8 Posted by Paulus (175 posts) -

Queen of pain is the only one I can think of that really fits that without being a carry, and considering you're lack of awareness as to last hitting and the items you're not ready to play carry. QoP has a blink ability (manouverability) and two pretty decent burst damage spells (one being her ulti).

However dota is a game of balance, you can't expect to have a hero that has high dmg and manouverability for nothing, QoP is squishy you mess up you can get killed rather quickly.

#9 Posted by IroN1c (476 posts) -

I've you're having problems with Bloodseeker because you need to return to base to heal often you need to work on your basic understanding of the game first. With his heal ability on last hit you shouldn't have to return and basically grab a kill on LVL 6 if the enemy is dumb or has no stun/scroll.

#10 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: You don't get gold for killing the smaller creeps unless you are the last one to attack it. Alliteratively, you can "last hit" your own creeps and cause the enemy team not to get the gold OR the experience from the kill. Any hero can use any item, but some are much better for others. In the shop on the side there are "recommended items," these are good to start out with until you have a better grasp of the game. Recipes are items that just build into the real item. Say you have two small items and the recipe, buy the two small items first, then buy the recipe and it will turn into the better item.

#11 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

Well you are putting yourself into a very intersting predictimate. You want to kill people and do lots of damage, which is fine, however you need to be good at last hitting before you are able to do this. Some of the easier semi-carries that can gank a lot would be a Queen of Pain, Mirana, Windrunner. If this is what you want to do, please go into a bot game and make sure you are able to get at least a minimum of 100 cs (last hits on creeps) by 20:00 into the game. If you can't do this, then you are not ready for damage dealers.

What I suggest is to stick with easy to play heros such as Lich, Tidehunter, Sand King, Witch Dr, Shadow Shaman..etc. Learn the basics, figure out what all of the heros do, get a few hundred games under your belt...THEN start playing carries.

This is the best place to start, easily a must read: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

#12 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1399 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: are you still looking for dota 2 advice or have you figured it out since this?

#13 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1399 posts) -

@Paulus said:

Queen of pain is the only one I can think of that really fits that without being a carry, and considering you're lack of awareness as to last hitting and the items you're not ready to play carry. QoP has a blink ability (manouverability) and two pretty decent burst damage spells (one being her ulti).

However dota is a game of balance, you can't expect to have a hero that has high dmg and manouverability for nothing, QoP is squishy you mess up you can get killed rather quickly.

you can carry with QoP its not ideal but you can

#14 Posted by me2tal (25 posts) -

I would go with Huskar

He is a strenght hero - makes him able to take some hits

He is ranged - what you were sorta looking for

He has DoT

He has reg

The closer to dying the more awesome he gets

#15 Posted by Grand (53 posts) -

I've composed a list of heroes for you. It has carries, supports, gankers, and the such in each list. The + list is what is good for beginners, the - List is a little more difficult but still possible IF you have prior AoS experience and aren't an idiot, and the X list is strictly do not touch. The heroes in X are very difficult and generally very easy to screw up with. Any hero not mentioned is also up for grabs, including two of my favorites (AXE AND PUUUUUUDGE). As a rule of thumb, wait three days after a hero comes out to start playing it or people will troll you. Excluding Nyx... I've been waiting far too long for him.

+ Windrunner, Tidehunter, Sven, Gondar, Clinkz, BloodSeeker, Rhasta, Zeus, Rylai, OgreMagi, Lina, Warlock, Lich, and Necrolyte.

- Drow Ranger, Jakiro, Dark Seer, Pugna, Bat Rider, Lion, Bane, Naix, Spirit Breaker, Night Stalker

X - Silencer, Invoker, Orbital Destroyer, Specter, Weaver, Faceless Void, Storm Spirit, Magina, Chen, Visiage, Wisp, Kunkka, Syllabear

#16 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@me2tal: Just tried him out and got my first win! He's great! the DoT attack isnt that good and neither is his healing but his passive and ultimate are great

#17 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

If you are playing a melee class and are worried about taking damage at the creep line, maybe pick up a stout shield at the beginning of the game, then transition into a vanguard early game for some decent regen.

I'm going to hate myself for saying this but maybe someone like Anti-Mage? His blink means he can pop around the map like crazy, and his spells are pretty straightforward. You would need a lot of farm though, so until your last-hitting can support that style of play probably not the best idea.

Tide is another solid choice, just because he can soak up so much damage. he also has one of the best ult's in the game. You just want to gush as much as possible, once you have some decent mana reserves anyway, and then run around anchor smashing everything. You will find late-game a lot of people just ignore tide because he takes too long to kill.

#18 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -

If you're having trouble with health with bloodseeker then other melee heroes are going to be hell for you, bloodseeker is one of the more sustainable heroes in the game in terms of health cause of how much he can heal off kills. Lina is also one of the easier to use casters, since all you really do is wait for an opportunity and unload every spell on one person, most people should die instantly.

If you want someone ranged who gets a fair number of kills...try Viper? His damage is scary.

#19 Edited by Falx (347 posts) -

I just started recently too, I enjoy playing sven and antimage atm but ive only played like 4 bot games. Does anyone know any similar to the ad carries in LoL?

#20 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

I'm looking for a specific kind of beta key, but I haven't had any luck yet... :(

Where is everyone getting their keys? Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I've played some more and my best matches were as Lina, Bounty Hunter or Nature's Prophet. 

Sure the treant macro Nature's Prophet brings can be very bad if you end up feeding your opponents (I only play bots though, not that big a issue) but I really love how strong he can become with his auto attacks and really fuck someone up as they swarm them with treants, block their way with trees and if they do escape just teleport in front of them and whack em down still.

I really wanted to play Broodmother but I cannot get into her style of play sadly.

#22 Posted by me2tal (25 posts) -

Well the thing about huskars Healing (Q) is that the lower in health you are the more you heal - which sustains you at low health triggering your passive (e)

While flame spears can give a really anoying early game - if your opponents doesn't have sustain

I usually go for flaming spears lvl 1 and then maxing passive afterwards because it is amazing

further his heal (Q) gives more healing based on your main attribute - which in huskars case is str - with more strength - more healing and yet more healing

Now i personally like armlet because well it gives him everything

#23 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: The only real advice I can give you is to use your brain at mobafire(.com) and research the heroes there. The game has a buttload of variety when it comes to hero play-style and from what you mentioned, stick to high-dps strength classes and agility-based heroes. However, as I said before, you really need to just take the time to look them up, research good builds, and jump into a Co-op vs. Bot session to feel them out. I have played maybe 30-40 games so far, all co-op bot, and have yet to find a suitable "favourite five" selection of heroes I'm good enough to go PVP with.

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

I NEED A HERO!

I'M HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO 'TIL THE END OF THE NIGHT!

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (11943 posts) -

As other people have said, if you're having trouble with Bloodseeker you really need to practice a bunch against bots to grasp the basics (last hitting/denying, what items are good for what types of heroes, hell, even how to lane properly to avoid taking unnecessary damage from harass and creeps, etc.). Bloodseeker is one of the easiest and most sustainable heroes in the game with his ridiculous healing passive, a 9 second silence and an ult that forces people to stand still for 9 seconds. 

I guess if I had to recommend another easy carry with mobility it would be Faceless Void, but, like I and some other people have said, you probably aren't ready to play a carry with the small amount of knowledge you have right now. Sorry if any of this comes off as harsh.

#26 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Play AM

#27 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

Play AM

i second this just dont pick him if you have another carry because no one needs 2 hard carries.

#28 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

@bibamatt: If I had to guess the game will be out in around 3 months, but if you really can't wait you can buy a key from the Dota 2 store.

#29 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4361 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Play AM

i second this just dont pick him if you have another carry because no one needs 2 hard carries.

I third this though I feel i should add sometimes you might play with/against a group of people who see multiple hard carries and their first thought is, for some reason, "let's drag this game out as long as possible." Then, in that case, multiple hard carries is the greatest thing in the world lol

#30 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: Nice, thanks for the reply!

#31 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

Play AM

Don't make me ban you...

#32 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@Sweep said:

If you are playing a melee class and are worried about taking damage at the creep line, maybe pick up a stout shield at the beginning of the game, then transition into a vanguard early game for some decent regen.

I'm going to hate myself for saying this but maybe someone like Anti-Mage? His blink means he can pop around the map like crazy, and his spells are pretty straightforward. You would need a lot of farm though, so until your last-hitting can support that style of play probably not the best idea.

Tide is another solid choice, just because he can soak up so much damage. he also has one of the best ult's in the game. You just want to gush as much as possible, once you have some decent mana reserves anyway, and then run around anchor smashing everything. You will find late-game a lot of people just ignore tide because he takes too long to kill.

I'd have to disagree with tide. For someone new to the game, mana conservation is going to be an issue unless you know to get arcane boots and spamming gush is a sure way to never have enough left over for the ultimate.

I'd say go for Queen of Pain as a good ranged hero - blink lets you survive well just like Anti-Mage and she can do loads of damage. If not her, then maybe Phantom Assassin. With enough levels and farm, you rack up kills so quick due to her critical damage.

#33 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@Sweep said:

I'd have to disagree with tide. For someone new to the game, mana conservation is going to be an issue unless you know to get arcane boots and spamming gush is a sure way to never have enough left over for the ultimate.

I'd say go for Queen of Pain as a good ranged hero - blink lets you survive well just like Anti-Mage and she can do loads of damage. If not her, then maybe Phantom Assassin. With enough levels and farm, you rack up kills so quick due to her critical damage.

Mana conservation is something that you need to learn over time though, knowing when you should be using your attacks comes with understanding the early part of the game. While that may be a little rocky for new players, tides survivability and damage negation make him a very forgiving hero to learn.

Also he looks fucking badass.

#34 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -
@Sweep: He should just play skeleton king then. That's the hero I learned on. Tide is a bad choice because he's support, and he's amazing when played as support, but if you try to play him as anything else or played by someone who doesn't know the game he's down right awful. 
#35 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@blueduck: I agree that SK is probably the best hero to learn with because he's just super easy (2 passives, pfft) but I just found him ridiculously boring. I'm much more of a "Challenge accepted" kind of player, deliberately picking the heroes that are underpowered or complicated.

I learnt to play Dota using Doom Bringer :D

#36 Edited by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

The only time I have ever had an all right game (I have played, 3 rounds of Dota) was when I used Sniper, cause you don't have to get stuck in. Try that?

E: Fuck this is two weeks old. Try it anyway I guess.

#37 Posted by SgtFury (3 posts) -

I know we're going back to the beginning of the thread here, but as a player with over 2000 games of dota/hon/dota 2 played, I'd like to add my 2cents to a few comments left here.

@ItBeStefYo said:

Since I have almost no idea what any of the heros do what I wanted to ask about this type of hero.

First of all I need a hero that's actually fun to play, that for me means killing alot of dudes, high manoeuvrability is preferred.

I'm not sure about this but I played as bloodseeker and using melee seemed really bad as you soak up damage because of it, meaning having to run to base to heal alot. Is this just bloodseeker or does it apply to all melee characters? If so I'd prefer a ranged character.

I'm not sure if I want someone really easy to play or not, eg, I like to play Assassin in SMNC. I have played Lina in this though and I found that too difficult.

I know not all of you have experience of every hero in the game, but I would like to hear your arguments on why the hero you suggest is what i'm looking for.

EDIT: One enjoyable hero found so far: Huskar

Ok, so there's a couple of things you need to know about this game before you try to pick up a hero that can 'killing alot of dudes'. First off, if this is your main goal in dota/dota 2, you're gonna have a bad time. The game very team dependent, and if you think this single mindedly even from the get-go, you will quickly find that winning games is alot harder than if you try to adapt dynamically. That is to say if your team already has a hard carry, you don't really need another one.

Melee is NOT really bad, it's just slightly more difficult. If played correctly, you will almost never go back to base, this is especially true of a hero such as bloodseeker as he has the ability to regain health by ensuring the final blow on an enemy or friendly creep. I do have experience with every hero in the game, and my suggestion is not to try and be the most important player on your team when you are inexperienced. As for suggestions, you should really play someone who is not heavily farm dependent (as last hitting when you're new to the genre is not easy), and can put out alot of damage relatively easily, while still being able to survive so you don't just spend the whole game dead. TIDEHUNTER was mentioned earlier in the thread, and while I agree with the choice in principal, his ult can be incredibly important and a misstep could be game changing. I'd say you'd be best off playing heroes like LINA, LICH, VENGEFUL SPIRIT, OGRE MAGI, LION, DEATH PROPHET, etc... Though these don't necessarily fill the criteria you mentioned for what you wanted to play, they are fun, and you will get kills, and most of all you'll be in an environment where people don't rely on you as much late game, and you can learn the basic principals of the game more easily.

@supamon said:

Also I would advise you not to think you know how to play Dota because you played SMNC.

I agree, these games are totally different. OP mentioned he was only having trouble with items, well unfortunately, other than learning ALL the moves of EVERY hero in the game, this is the most important part of DOTA 2.

@Grand said:

+ Windrunner, Tidehunter, Sven, Gondar, Clinkz, BloodSeeker, Rhasta, Zeus, Rylai, OgreMagi, Lina, Warlock, Lich, and Necrolyte.

- Drow Ranger, Jakiro, Dark Seer, Pugna, Bat Rider, Lion, Bane, Naix, Spirit Breaker, Night Stalker

X - Silencer, Invoker, Orbital Destroyer, Specter, Weaver, Faceless Void, Storm Spirit, Magina, Chen, Visiage, Wisp, Kunkka, Syllabear

Great list, I'd be wary of recommending WINDRUNNER and CLINKZ though, they can both be pretty useless in the wrong hands.

#38 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@SgtFury: Just played Lich and was bored to tears, you lied to me!

#39 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4361 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo:WHAT!?!? Lich is fucking awesome. A good Chain Frost will ruin lives...unless you're playing against a tanky team. Still, I love him. Then again, it's your opinion and all and I know we're supposed to respect opinions and hold hands and sing songs and shit....but you're wrong. YA HEAR ME?! WRONG I SAY!

LICH GONNA HAVE YO MANA.

#40 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: Why were you bored? Because you couldn't get any kills or because you kept dying?

#41 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

@SgtFury: Just played Lich and was bored to tears, you lied to me!

Just might not be for you. When I first started playing I loved Lich. Nothing better then being chase by 2 guys, turning around and ulting while they are standing on top of each other...boom instant death! Those types of heros are just different playstyles. I play the same way when I play Sand King or Enigma, rather trying to get all the kills and carry, I just make a goal of getting off that perfect ultimate.

#42 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@supamon: Couldn't get any kills

#43 Edited by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@blueduck said:

@Sweep: He should just play skeleton king then. That's the hero I learned on. Tide is a bad choice because he's support, and he's amazing when played as support, but if you try to play him as anything else or played by someone who doesn't know the game he's down right awful.

When you say support, are you talking about a ward/smoke "true" support? You give tide farm and allow him to get arcanes/blink/pipe he is anything but awful.

*edit* Actually, using tide as a support is a complete waste unless a) your team comp is garbage (randomed in a AP, etc) or b) someone on your team who has a hero that is much better at support is being too stubborn to play as one, then you have to be support by default

#44 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@The_Drizzle said:

@blueduck said:

When you say support, are you talking about a ward/smoke "true" support? You give tide farm and allow him to get arcanes/blink/pipe he is anything but awful.

*edit* Actually, tide is trash at support unless a) your team comp is garbage (randomed in a AP, etc) or b) someone on your team who has a hero that is much better at support is being too stubborn to play as one, then you have to be support by default

Yeah I don't get people who expect tide to buy wards or courier. He's not that kind of support. He excels way better at tanking/initiating/utility and that's what he's for.

#45 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo: That's the thing. Lich is one of the strongest nukers/harassers/lane controllers in the game.

To play well as lich is to constantly harass the enemy with frost blast until they are afraid of going near the creeps and using sacrifice on your creeps means you have a free supply of mana anytime and it doubles as denying the enemy farm as well. Hold on to your chain frost until there's a team battle and let loose while your team mates stun them.

Will you get the most kills as lich? No and that's not the point of lich. He's suppose to help set up kills and slow down enemies for your team mates to kill. He is not a carry or ganker so you have to adjust your expectations accordingly.

#46 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Play AM

Don't make me ban you...

You're Right.

He should play Lycan.

#47 Posted by SgtFury (3 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

@Sweep said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Play AM

Don't make me ban you...

You're Right.

He should play Lycan.

I'm pretty sure playing Lycan correctly would bore this guy to tears. Jungle strats aren't the most engaging games for the jungler.

#48 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

@SgtFury said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@Sweep said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Play AM

Don't make me ban you...

You're Right.

He should play Lycan.

I'm pretty sure playing Lycan correctly would bore this guy to tears. Jungle strats aren't the most engaging games for the jungler.

thatsthejoke.jpg

#49 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

@supamon: Couldn't get any kills

Then you are playing him wrong. Lich is ridiculously overpowered.

To be honest, if you are approaching this from the "I want to get as many kills as possible" perspective then you are always going to be disappointed. This isn't a quake deathmatch. You play as a team of 5 and you are expected to work in a capacity that enables other players as much as it does yourself. If you can't appreciate that then you will never be a decent dota player. It's not about getting kills, it's about winning the game. I have frequently won matches where we have been behind on kills by a significant margin. Kills mean fuck all.

#50 Posted by SgtFury (3 posts) -

@Jeffsekai: OH ZING

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.