Keyboard scrolling?

#1 Posted by LiQuid3600 (146 posts) -

Back when I used to play a lot of RTS games I used to disable mouse/edge scrolling and just use they keyboard to scroll. I've tried to play Dota 2 using the mouse to edge scroll and it just doesn't work with my brain. I'm starting to feel functionally retarded. Does anybody have any kind of success using WASD to scroll the camera? It seems easy enough to get to all ability and item hotkeys while still using WASD but if there's a good argument for why it won't work long-term I'm hoping to find out now while I'm still new, so I can try and get into the habit of mouse scrolling while I'm still new and sucking anyways.

#2 Edited by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

"WASD" is not going to work well with Dota 2 because at least the "W" key is mapped to an ability for all heroes let alone often times "D" is used for some heroes.

In general, "edge scrolling" is okay for small view adjustments but you really should be looking at the minimap to jump around the map.

#3 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I have good enough experience with using the WASD-setting the game has for moving the camera around.
They map the skill keys to keys that make sense as well so it's not awkward to still use your skills as well.

#4 Edited by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

6 items
6 abilities
Attack-Move
Stop/Hold Position
Courier
At least 2-3 Control Groups
(I also have Level Up and Level Up Point - Stats bound so that I can do that with the keyboard in the middle of laning or a teamfight without having to stop and click the button and then stats or a skill)

If you can find a place to put all of those binds and still have room for WASD, I GUESSSSS you could do it? I don't think it'll work well at all just because you often need to be doing other things while you're moving the camera, and giving your left hand something to do literally constantly seems like an unnecessary handicap to place on yourself. I'd say just continue playing through the learning process of edge scrolling and pick up that muscle memory, because you'll be much better for it down the road.

#5 Posted by LiQuid3600 (146 posts) -

The default WASD setup has all of that stuff mapped and easy enough to get to. Abilities are mapped all around the camera movement keys, so they're all quick to get to. The main things it seems to be missing out on is attack and stop, but when I'm last hitting/denying I just move my hand to H for hold and space bar to attack. I guess it should be noted that even while using WASD to move the camera, I still do SOME edge scrolling when it's necessary, I just feel like I'm way more handicapped not having quick access to keyboard scroll than I am by anything missing out that's mapped to WASD with the default control setup.

It seems like it will take more practice to get used to the mouse exclusively, on top of already needing to learn the muscle memory needed to get to commands quickly. I don't want to make learning the game even harder for myself by forcing myself to use a method I'm not comfortable with, but I don't want to harm my long term potential in the game by developing bad habits early on. :(

#6 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

6 items

6 abilities

Attack-Move

Stop/Hold Position

Courier

(I also have Level Up and Level Up Point - Stats bound so that I can do that with the keyboard in the middle of laning or a teamfight without having to stop and click the button and then stats or a skill)

If you can find a place to put all of those binds and still have room for WASD, I GUESSSSS you could do it? I don't think it'll work well at all just because you often need to be doing other things while you're moving the camera, and giving your left hand something to do literally constantly seems like an unnecessary handicap to place on yourself. I'd say just continue playing through the learning process of edge scrolling and pick up that muscle memory, because you'll be much better for it down the road.

Don't you just level up by holding down Ctrl and then hitting whatever key is bound to the skill you wanna upgrade? That's how I do it. Not sure if that works for just general stats though.

Edit: Yeah, Ctrl + Z levels up your stats. Easy peasy

#7 Posted by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

In the end, I find no more or less compelling reason to rebind action keys one way or another. I do think rebinding non-actions and giving your left hand *more* "stuff to do" is a problem. Also that being reliant on "edge scrolling" for more than tweaking the view as the encounter drifts seems counterproductive when one should use the minimap instead.

#8 Posted by LiQuid3600 (146 posts) -

I guess it's time for bot matches.

#9 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

I think the only good solution is to learn to move the camera with the mouse.
You will just need to move the camera way too much and you won't have enough keys. I wish i had more keys at my disposal and that is without losing 4 keys to movement.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@ajamafalous said:

6 items

6 abilities

Attack-Move

Stop/Hold Position

Courier

Don't you just level up by holding down Ctrl and then hitting whatever key is bound to the skill you wanna upgrade? That's how I do it. Not sure if that works for just general stats though.

Edit: Yeah, Ctrl + Z levels up your stats. Easy peasy

I find it easier to just hit Space (my Level Up key, default is O) and then hit Q/W/E/R. I used to have Stats on G, but I moved it to V when I made T/G control groups.

Oh, also, realized I forgot the quick chat wheel as another thing that you should definitely have bound (default is Y). There is literally no excuse to not call missing when all it takes is pressing Y and flicking your mouse to the right.

#11 Edited by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

Can you rebind the number keys that are normally used for control groups? If you want to use the WASD for camera movement you can probably move the skill keys (QWER) to the 1,2,3, and 4 keys respectively and then you can use the E and R keys for what normally would be the D and F skill keys in the case of some heroes (e.g. Ezalor during Spirit Form). This could leave space for the rest of the number keys for control groups along with the F1 or F2 keys for hero and courier respectively and then the bottom keys (ZXCVBN) could be remapped for the inventory items.

EDIT: An anecdotal note, I have friends who also played the original DOTA mod (wherein skills are mapped in "legacy" format meaning they are not QWER and the inventory shortcut keys would be in the keypad plus they could not be remapped ) who also used the arrow keys to map scroll and we're also VERY good, way higher in skill level than I can ever reach. One friend in particular was also a very good touch typist though so doing those kinds of key strokes while watching him play appeared very second nature to him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.