Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Limited queue and abandoning games

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I just started playing Dota after getting swept up by the TI4 hype. I played LoL casually for a few months (never made it to level 30) so I have a basic understanding of MOBA mechanics, but I've been playing in limited queue to get a feel for the differences while not having to deal with the huge range of heroes. My problem now is that I rarely have a game where there isn't at least one person abandoning when someone gets a few early kills. I suppose this is probably due to the lack of any penalty in limited, but it's still really frustrating. Hell, this was the last game I played, and I've had games where the entire other team disconnected. I know there's no surrender option like League, but giving up at 5 minutes seems kinda defeatist. Should I just jump into normal queue instead or are low level games just like this?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Limited pool or not, if you're new to DotA, a large chunk of your matches will have leavers in them. It sucks, but that's just how it is. As you play more and more, it'll become less and less common and you'll get to the point where it's actually rare for someone to abandon a game.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@ichthy said:

So I just started playing Dota after getting swept up by the TI4 hype. I played LoL casually for a few months (never made it to level 30) so I have a basic understanding of MOBA mechanics, but I've been playing in limited queue to get a feel for the differences while not having to deal with the huge range of heroes. My problem now is that I rarely have a game where there isn't at least one person abandoning when someone gets a few early kills. I suppose this is probably due to the lack of any penalty in limited, but it's still really frustrating. Hell, this was the last game I played, and I've had games where the entire other team disconnected. I know there's no surrender option like League, but giving up at 5 minutes seems kinda defeatist. Should I just jump into normal queue instead or are low level games just like this?

Yeah it's a real problem in the game, a lot of the newer players who don't have the mindset to stick with the game roll in limited heroes. Your odds of a bad game there are pretty high. I haven't played much in there lately, but I noticed over time the match quality in limited heroes was taking a real nosedive with tons of ragequits after they made explicitly for new players.

Especially If you have 1-2 friends to play with to shield you from potential raging teammates at your newness, I say definitely jump into All Pick. DCs do happen there but it is significantly less than limited.

or maybe better yet All Random if you're adventuresome. Most games I've played in All random tend to be chill by MOBA standards as everybody there knows you may not be playing your main and laddering isn't the goal.

try the giantbomb chat channel, I hear new players can find nice people to play with there .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.